Best / Variant versions of songs - please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
As my collection is growing I am becoming more and more interested in different versions of live songs as well as the best live versions of songs that are out there.

I was just listening to Bad from Wembley (ZOOTV I think) and there is a fiddler in the background. Yes, a fiddler. I do not know if it is real (i.e. the Pride "guitar solo" that some dude mixed in), but it sounds like it is, and it sounds pretty damn good, at least different.

What are the BEST, or most variant live versions of songs.

Please exclude all "re-mixes," I am only trying to get a grasp on live versions of songs, primarily:

Bad
Hawkmoon
Anything off of Zooropa (besides Stay)
One Tree Hill
Mothers of the Disappeared
Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Gone
Until the End of the World

any others

Can anyone help???

I'm a sucker for a thread with no responses. I am not an expert on different versions of songs, but I think the Irving Plaza boot has some of the best live versions I've heard (also because the quality of the boot is perfect), so check that one out.

Hmmm - i heard Bad from Wide awake in America, Zoo tv version (though this one features Bono's falsetto at "i'm wide awake" line) and Elevation version from Boston.
And i couldn't decide - maybe WAIA slightly ahead IMO.

A sort of homecoming - WAIA, although the Slane version has a charm of its own too.

Pride - well R&H, and Zoo tv versions i've heard of. To me, Pride is one of those U2 songs that can't be topped live - studio version remains my favorite.

UTEOTW - Zoo tv and Elevation versions. Both are great, though i slightly prefer Elevation tour version.

Anything from Zooropa except Stay? From that i only heard Numb during Zoo tv in Europe - and i thought it was a nice transition from studio to stage.

ps: can't help you with the other songs because i haven't heard any live versions of the other songs. you can tell i'm not an expert on these things...

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-13-2002).]

Here is a thread regarding the best live version of Bad:
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/014091.html

and would have to add the Self Aid version in May 1986 is great and I'm partial to the Providence 1 version 10/30/01!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

40- Point Depot New Years Eve 1989
Running To Stand Still (w/ Dirty Old town)- New Years Eve 1989
Love Is Blindness- 6.10.92 Stockhom, Sweden
Who's Gonna Ride... 2.29.92 Lakeland , FL.
Stay / Dirty Day / Bullet Sydney Australia 1993
New York- Paris France 10.19.00
Beautiful Day- Miami, fl 3.24.01
Wake Up Dead Man- San Antonio 11.23.97
One/ Walk On- Irving Plaza
Bad/40/Streets- Boston DVD
Zoo Station W/ Acapella Intro- 1st leg zootv
Bad/First Time Dublin 8.28.93
With Or Without You: R&H, Mexico City, Foxboro Mass- Outside Zootv

Thats off the top of my head, i'll have to give this some more thought.

jp

One Tree Hill - New Year's Night in Dublin, 1990. Actually, the whole show is damn awesome
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom