Best Tour For Desire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I loved the Lovetown performances of this, you can tell the band were having fun with it, they were playing with energy and enthusiasm, Bono often sang like a man possessed and Edges solo's were inspired and unpreditable. The Osaka 89 version is a real hell-raiser, everyones on top form and Bono throws in some really interesting snippets.

The ZOO TV renditions were good too, always pretty wild and chaotic. The song seemed to make sense and fit in well with the ideas and concepts of the tour, maybe more so than it did with Lovetown, plus The Mirrorball Man put an interesting spin on it.

The acoustic versions on both Popmart and Elevation were the least interesting for me, the songs demanding vocally so Bono often struggled, it just seemed diluted and watered down to me.

I was pleased they returned to the full band treatment on Vertigo, but some of the late performances seemed under-rehearsed with the band tentatively feeling their way through it.

The Union Chapel rendition showed Bono attacking the tune in a way he hasn't done for years, his voice was in great shape and he seemed eager to show it off. If they can combine it with the vitality of the early performances, they could return the song to it's former glory (well hopefully).

So it's Lovetown for me, which version gets your vote?

Lovetown, though the Elevation versions were fun. Didn't care at all for the ZOOTV rendition, Desire through a phaser sounds pretty awful.

Next tour, not only should they pull out full electric Desire, but the R&H record in general should be featured. WE NEED GOD PART TWO!

T

Lovetown, by a mile. I suspect the result of a poll would be ZooTB, but Lovetown version was far better even if you like Mirrorball/Mac.

I really hope they go back to a hard rock version of Desire like they did during Lovetown. That song deserves a fast tempo and enthusiasm.

Lovetown.

If they ever pull out the acoustic version on tour again, I'll make it my bathroom break song instead of Pride.

The Lovetown version is really the only way Desire should be played. It destroys the studio version and every other live version.

lovetown and Union Chapel for me...although lovetown probably has the slight edge cause it was full band...but if they play it next tour I think it will be the best version..

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I like the Mirrorball man version only due to the great outro, "I believe in love, I believe in poetry..."

"I have a vision! I have a vision! TELEVISION! TELEVISION!!!!!"

:drool:

Desire became more theatric during ZOOTV. Which was cool and it still sounded good at times.

Anything after that I don't care for.

Lovetown Desire was just rockin'.. I think I tend to lean more towards ZOOTV Desire.

Definetly the zoo versions.

Either with the mirrorball man comming along and trying to sell the audience lots of bullshit or Macphisto heralding the apocalypse!

I really love the way that 3rd leg desire->phone call->Ultraviolet sequence works, gets me every time!

Lovetown, no question. :)

But I also love the MacPhisto version of Desire. I can understand why others may hate it, but the British accent just cracks me up. It's just so perfectly ridiculous. Bono at his theatrical best.

Lovetown and Zoo TV are almost two different songs to me.

I slightly prefer Lovetown to ZooTV.

Each is great in its own way, though both are very different versions.

(NOTE: When I say ZooTV, I refer to the Mirrorball Man version, not MacPhisto).

Elevation for me. I liked the guitar, and the crowd clapping along to Larry, and the return of the harmonica.

Lovetown tried to hard to compete with the album version, Zoo TV was bloated, and Popmart doesn't cut it (the song needs the drums).

To single out a performance, either Union Chapel (mostly thanks to the vocals) and Irving Plaza.

Lovetown renditions vere really amazing, thanks to Edge's killer solos,(Sydney 9-27 89 had three solos and gret snippets...) also Union Chapel was great, second best after Lovetown. I didn't like Zoo TV Hollywood version of Desire too much, and don't care about Popmart and Elevation renditions

Last edited:
I really like both Lovetown and Zoo versions for different reasons. The Zoo one sounds cooler, but Lovetown was just generally on the whole more awesome.

Lovetown, by far. It was the only time I really loved the song, especially those crazy versions with the long solo.

ZooTV was cool as well. Great ending.

Everything afterwards was subpar, to say the least.

The Zoo Europa version is great, esp how Larry switches to a hip-hop beat during the "Dollars/she's my protection" section. Otherwise it's LoveTown all the way for me.

I didn't know they played Desire during Vertigo. Are there any recordings of this? How did it go over?

The only improvement they made on the Zooropa leg was that beat in the middle, which I loved.

That, plus Lovetown, plus Lovetown Sydney solo = fucking ass kicking Desire.

Back
Top Bottom