Best Song Survivor: Zooropa Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
The Wanderer wandered off in the last round. That leaves five songs left from Zooropa. As four songs progress to the 1990s quarterfinal round, this shall be the final round for Zooropa! The four songs not eliminated here will move on to quarterfinals. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Shit, I accidentally voted for The First Time when I meant to vote for Dirty Day. So register that as a vote change.

I finally get to vote for something besides The Wanderer! Yay! Dirty Day it is.

The First Time is not very exciting, and does not at all deserve to make the finals. It's weaker than even the studio version of Dirty Day, and the live Dirty Day is one of U2's finest achievements. It's better than everything else on Zooropa bar the title track. Seriously, if the studio version of Dirty Day were as good as the live version, it would be in my top fifteen U2 songs for sure.

Yeah. Sad to say, though, that the studio version of Dirty Day is very, very lacking.

This must be The First Time's best ever result.

This is panning out quite similarly to last time, actually. Dirty Day only just nudged out The First Time to make Zooropa's top four, 39-37, but in that tournament Zooropa only had three finalists rather than four (as it didn't rate as well in the Best Album Survivor that time around) so Dirty Day was ousted in the last round.

This is panning out quite similarly to last time, actually. Dirty Day only just nudged out The First Time to make Zooropa's top four, 39-37, but in that tournament Zooropa only had three finalists rather than four (as it didn't rate as well in the Best Album Survivor that time around) so Dirty Day was ousted in the last round.

And it would not at all be outside the realm of possibility for The First Time to still be voted off in this round.

Dirty Day is absolutely superb live, while The First Time turns into a bit of a snoozefest. It's a good song, but not better than Dirty Day.

Lyrically, The First Time is one of Bono's finest efforts. Really remarkable stuff. As a matter of fact, since 1990-2000 is clogged with '00s material, it's probably one of the best in that regard. So why did it make the best of? Because a number of tracks are much worse.

Bono disagrees! The last verse is the most revealing of his "I'm not sure I get this Christianity thing anymore" phase IMO. Better than most of Pop because of its simplicity.

Zooropa needs a song like The First Time as well. I adore the album's icy inhumanity, but that's not U2.

Yeah. The First Time is probably the second best song on the album with regard to lyrics. And better than pretty much anything he's written in the last decade and a half.

I'm also sad that The First Time is getting voted off, and I too am confused about why it was put on the Best Of. It's a great song, but there are so many 90's songs that are better... And it wasn't a single or popularly known.

I also like the way it breaks up the "icy inhumanity." Zooropa feels sterile, detached, devoid of emotion for the most part. The First Time is full of emotion, and it also sounds/feels like it could have been on one of the 80's albums.

The First Time is one of the few songs in existence that can give me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Back
Top Bottom