Best Song Survivor: Zooropa Round Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car crashed in the last round. That leaves seven songs competing for four slots in the 1990s quarterfinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Also, I have a dilemma. Original Soundtracks 1 is next. I have a feeling that Interference is not going to want to sit through twelve rounds of Passengers to get two songs to quarterfianls. At the same time, I think that it's silly to have YBR, Miss Sarajevo, and HMTMKMKM battling it out in the non-album round when Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo aren't really non-album tracks. I would also like Slug to have the chance to compete with YBR and Miss Sarajevo. I'm somewhat tempted to have one OS1 round, with three songs: Slug, YBR, and Miss Sarajevo. But that doesn't seem right at all. I'm not sure what to do.

Although I think The First Time is the weakest, in a vain attempt to save The Wanderer I will vote Dirty Day.

Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car crashed in the last round. That leaves seven songs competing for four slots in the 1990s quarterfinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Also, I have a dilemma. Original Soundtracks 1 is next. I have a feeling that Interference is not going to want to sit through twelve rounds of Passengers to get two songs to quarterfianls. At the same time, I think that it's silly to have YBR, Miss Sarajevo, and HMTMKMKM battling it out in the non-album round when Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo aren't really non-album tracks. I would also like Slug to have the chance to compete with YBR and Miss Sarajevo. I'm somewhat tempted to have one OS1 round, with three songs: Slug, YBR, and Miss Sarajevo. But that doesn't seem right at all. I'm not sure what to do.

i'd just cut down the number of songs to what realistically has a chance, and some that might be oddball favorites (ok, thats pretty much the whole album, yeah). but anyway, i'd throw up your blue room, miss sarajevo, slug, beach sequence, always forever now, and united colors.

alternatively, you could send off the two lowest vote-getters per round until we're down to 4 or something like that.

alternatively, you could send off the two lowest vote-getters per round until we're down to 4 or something like that.
This is a good idea. I think you should implement this, Digitize. Eliminate 2 or 3 from each round for the first few rounds of Passengers.

:hmm: Could you just do a "vote for your favorites" round and send on the two songs that get the most votes? Or did you feel Slug doesn't get a fare shot that way? I know I'll vote Slug over YBR.
Otherwise the suggestion to send off the lowest 2 each time seems reasonable too.

I voted Dirty Day this round. Not better than The Wanderer or Numb (or DGPFYCC!), but sadly I think both are goners before it. :(

I think if you send 2 each round, you run th risk of sending the wrong songs - we've seen with Zooropa - The Wanderer has jus about come second each time, but looks as though it may survive again.

Why not ask for suggestions of songs people desperately want in there first, and then run a proper round - or if the 90's bsides haven't been yet (not sure), incorporate them into that round.

I think if you send 2 each round, you run th risk of sending the wrong songs - we've seen with Zooropa - The Wanderer has jus about come second each time, but looks as though it may survive again.

Why not ask for suggestions of songs people desperately want in there first, and then run a proper round - or if the 90's bsides haven't been yet (not sure), incorporate them into that round.

This is true, the risk of songs leaving that shouldn't, because people with sacrifice one good song to save another, so yeah that method really might not be so good after all.
Does the voting for your favorite song method work any better then? If you let people vote for as many as they want like we've done before, will that give an accurate top 2?

I like the suggestions idea too.
I suggest Slug. Done. :up::wink:

How about doing a favorites round where the top 6 or 7 or so go through, then we do regular rounds including only those. That would cut out some of the crap, but still keep things fair.

As far as Passengers goes, in the past I have ran it both ways - like a full album, and like the non-album tracks as a single round of "vote for favourites". In light of the low voter turnout at the moment, I would definitely advise the latter; I think it worked best anyway and would probably recommend it even if we had higher turnout. The results are not much different either way, and running it like a full album is tedious and predictable (the likes of Plot 180, Theme From the Swan, etc. get killed straight up and it becomes a battle in the end between YBR, Miss Sarajevo, Slug, Beach Sequence, and then a few other somewhat popular ones make up the numbers in the background, e.g. United Colours, Always Forever Now).

So a single round would be nice and quick, and it lets all the songs have a go and compete. I would perhaps advise making it a 48 hour round rather than a 24 hour round, both because it's a full album and deserves its due, and because the time of year (NYE, people out/on holidays) means not so many people will be around in a 24 hour window as usual.

Anyway, as for this round, The First Time. I don't dislike it but it's a tad dull. Shame everyone's piling in on Numb, which is a contender for my top four (Zooropa is #1 and then the remaining slots are any three out of Numb, Lemon, Stay, and Dirty Day) ... but then I like The Wanderer and don't feel strongly enough for Numb or against The Wanderer to vote strategically.

yeah, but with passengers, none of those songs would really have much of a prayer against anything. we wouldn't have to do two songs per for the entire round, but we could do it until say, ~50% of the album is eliminated or so.

Back
Top Bottom