Best Song Survivor v2: Zooropa era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permaban for all Babyface voters. I'm baffled that it has more votes than Slow Dancing.
:love: :love: :love:

Also, the title track of Zooropa is one of U2's finest achievements. They've only recorded one song since 1993 that's been better, and that's Gone.

Agreed on the first part. There may be songs I find better, but it certainly stands firm in my top 5. I always had a thing for it, but seeing it live? I still remember standing there in the side of the pit, with a crazy norwegian guy I met earlier whose ticket was scalped and fake, so he managed to sneak in. He was drunk but that moment he was my best friend. We stood there in awe watching them play Zooropa, after it we hugged and parted ways. Never seen him again, but I'll remember that moment for sure.

Permaban for all Babyface voters. I'm baffled that it has more votes than Slow Dancing.

I think part of the reason could be because Babyface is on the album and Slow Dancing isn't. More people would be familiar with Babyface than SD.

Btw, I'm not trying to suggest yet another survivor here but I have an idea. Don't know if it's been tried before. But how about holding a voting contest to see if fans prefer the studio version or the live version of any particular song. I know that there are several live versions to choose from. But it could be a general thing as follows:

Pick your favourite:
1. I Will Follow (studio)
OR
2. I Will Follow (live versions)

And you could run through the whole discography. Of course, only songs that have been performed live would apply.

Just a thought.

All superior to anything on Pop which, if you know me, is an extremely bold statement.

The last couple minutes of the title track is the single most potent moment of U2's career in my opinion. I've heard thousands of albums and the jolt that part gives me is not something I've found elsewhere. Somehow I appreciate Lemon more and more every day; its impressionistic lyrics are subtle yet wonderfully descriptive and the music makes you feel weightless. Stay is one of those classic "I wish I'd written that" songs, enhanced by lonely, sorrowful production.

I could never say it better than you did.
Zooropa (the title track and Lemon) was the album that made me a U2 fanatic and a collector. Sure, i loved TJT, RAH and, of course, AB, but Lemon - specially Lemon - made me see this band in a new light.

Zooropa is transcedental. Stay is magical and Lemon is still the perfect song for me. One of my top 10 best songs ever.

I very nearly voted for Babyface. I like the song a lot. However, I did throw a futile vote at Slow Dancing.

I don't think Babyface is bad, but I didn't consider to vote for it when there are gems like Zooropa, Lemon and Stay on this album.

Man, Zooropa is kicking ass. 6 votes ahead of the others. Has any one song dominated a poll like this yet?

EDIT: Looks like Gloria had the biggest win so far: 8 votes ahead of all the October era tracks.

Zooropa and COBL share the distinction of being the really stand out tracks on their respective records (as opposed to multiple top-tier tracks dividing the votes), so this really isn't surprising.

I've enjoyed reading about the passionate feelings people have about Zooropa. As I said, I think it's a good, but not great, record. It's certainly better than half the records they've done since (though, sorry Axver, MOS is their best post-AB song...actually best post-JT song...though Zooropa is quite good). Unlike Pop and Bomb, most of the songs on which are just bad, Zooropa sounds to me just sound like a band experimenting with sound and not worrying too much about the results...resulting in interesting, but not particularly potent, songs. It just doesn't connect with me the way AB did, and never has. Oh well, De gustibus non est disputandum.

What I find interesting however is that U2 was able, essentially in their "spare time" during the frantic pace of the ZOOTV tour, to put together a quality collection of songs that continue to resonate so much with some people. Contrast that with the 00's in which they spend years trying to cobble together enough tracks to just end up with a few decent songs on a single record. Art can be like that, and clearly there was a period where they just had the music inside them and it just had to be brought out. And this is one reason I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about the years of on again off again work they're doing with Burton. We'll see.

Anyway, perhaps I'll revisit Zooropa. When people whose opinion I respect (and some not so much) here agree it's a great record, it deserves at least another listen.

:hmm: I wonder what studio versions would come out triumphant. For me, pretty much all songs turned out better live.

Are you kidding? Mysterious Ways album version eats up the live versions for breakfast, just due to that horrendous talk-singing in the live versions! There are a good number of album versions that I prefer personally to the live ones.

Are you kidding? Mysterious Ways album version eats up the live versions for breakfast, just due to that horrendous talk-singing in the live versions! There are a good number of album versions that I prefer personally to the live ones.

Have you not heard any pre-360 live renditions of Mysterious Ways? They all destroy the album version.

Then the idiots decided to get rid of Edge's solo, water it down and make it a regular on 360.

Have you not heard any pre-360 live renditions of Mysterious Ways? They all destroy the album version.

Then the idiots decided to get rid of Edge's solo, water it down and make it a regular on 360.

No no I have. I especially adore the Zoo TV Dublin version with the fantastic extended solo and stuff. The only problem I pretty much have with this song live is Bono's vocals. They don't compare to that on the album, sorry.

Anyway I have to admit that I'm a little bit out of touch with their truly amazing live performances. Almost always when I'm in the mood to listen to U2 I seem to go for the studio versions. I should reacquaint myself with some of their classic concert dvds instead of grabbing the 360 tour Rose Bowl one and feeling disappointed with the talk-singing. :reject: That said, certain songs I prefer live and certain I still prefer in the studio. 'Please' for example especially from Popmart destroys the studio version! But something like 'The Unforgettable Fire' I think I prefer the studio one.

Anyway I have to admit that I'm a little bit out of touch with their truly amazing live performances. Almost always when I'm in the mood to listen to U2 I seem to go for the studio versions. I should reacquaint myself with some of their classic concert dvds instead of grabbing the 360 tour Rose Bowl one and feeling disappointed with the talk-singing. :reject: That said, certain songs I prefer live and certain I still prefer in the studio. 'Please' for example especially from Popmart destroys the studio version! But something like 'The Unforgettable Fire' I think I prefer the studio one.

That's interesting. I'm just the opposite...when I listen to U2 it's almost exclusively their live stuff...ie audio rips of the DVDs or high quality boots.

Official dvd's are usually not their best gigs.

Official dvd's are usually not their best gigs.

Not saying that official dvds are the be-all and end-all but some of my favourite performances are from official ones though. For example: Running To Stand Still/Streets from Zoo Sydney and Please/Streets from Popmart Mexico City :drool:

^^True, but there are many, many great shows available (U2start.com/Youtube). So many great performances....

Back
Top Bottom