Best Song Survivor v2: The Joshua Tree era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SEVEN songs from this era proceed to the Late 1980s Quarter Final.

Welcome to the Joshua Tree era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 24 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Please vote solely on the basis of studio tracks. Songs with multiple versions will be listed separately; remixes will not, so if you favour a remix over the original song, vote on the basis of your favourite.

The War era round was extremely close. New Year's Day was the clear first qualifier and Sunday Bloody Sunday drew away to a safe second after starting shakily, but the other four positions were hotly contested by six songs, with a margin of just six votes separating them. This time, none of the non-album tracks even got a look-in at a finals berth, though a couple placed better than the worst performing album track, Red Light.

Please find UF's rankings in the RAH round.

INTERFERENCE'S WAR ERA RANKING
(Songs in bold proceed to the quarter finals)
1. New Year's Day - 60 votes
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday - 48
=3. Seconds - 37
=3. Drowning Man - 37
5. Like A Song - 34
6. 40 - 33

=7. Two Hearts Beat As One - 31
=7. Surrender - 31
9. The Refugee - 13
10. Treasure - 10
11. Endless Deep - 8
12. Red Light - 5
13. Angels Too Tied To The Ground - 4
(Total votes: 70)

This one deserves more votes:

Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Running to Stand Still
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
Mothers of the Disappeared
Silver and Gold

Deep In The Heart...now that is an often overlooked and underappreciated song. Edge manages to create a rather haunting soundscape.

My vote, ranked:

1. One Tree Hill
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Luminous Times
4. Red Hill Mining Town
5. Exit
6. Mothers Of The Disappeared
7. In God's Country

Plus I threw an eighth vote at Rise Up, since it's a quality little track, better than some stuff that made the album (looking at you, ISHFWILF and Trip), and deserves some voting love. I could have voted Streets and WOWY, as they'd probably place around sixth or seventh on the above ranking, but they really, really won't need my help and I'm just not feeling that strongly about them right now. I'd currently rather play MOTD or IGC than either of them.

red hill mining town, one tree hill, exit, walk to the water, spanish eyes, deep in the heart, the sweetest thing

i didn't bother voting for anything from the first four tracks because come on, it's not gonna need my help. though had i, i would've thrown a vote at streets.

Regarding the War results - I'm pretty disappointed 40 made it and Surrender just missed out. Come on, people, it's studio versions only. 40 may be a brilliant concert closer, but it's so hastily cobbled together on the album and Surrender deserved to advance more.

Regarding the War results - I'm pretty disappointed 40 made it and Surrender just missed out. Come on, people, it's studio versions only. 40 may be a brilliant concert closer, but it's so hastily cobbled together on the album and Surrender deserved to advance more.

i was just saying that. it's 40, it's rubbish!

especially when it cock blocks surrender. hell, i'd take two hearts over 40. i can get away with saying this because khan isn't in the room right now.

i was just saying that. it's 40, it's rubbish!

especially when it cock blocks surrender. hell, i'd take two hearts over 40. i can get away with saying this because khan isn't in the room right now.

:lmao: I can never decide if I'd take THBAO over 40 or vice versa. They're both unremarkable tracks and neither deserved over 30 votes. Meanwhile, Surrender's a great track - some of the album's best lyrics, that's for sure (perhaps slightly marred if you're in Australia and get visions of Sadie The Cleaning Lady during the second verse).

I'm highly amused right now that Spanish Eyes is leading. 9 votes cast and it has 7, with WOWY, OTH, and Exit sharing joint second with 6. :laugh:

I do hope Spanish Eyes is able to hold on and secure a finals place. This could be quite an interesting race actually. WOWY and Streets should have two qualifying slots in the bag and I think OTH is enough of a fan favourite here to grab a third, but to me the other four spots seem totally up in the air.

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill

Plus I threw an eighth vote at Rise Up, since it's a quality little track, better than some stuff that made the album (looking at you, ISHFWILF

You're kidding right?

ISHF is the The Joshua Tree, it's greatness comes down to that one song. That's what I reckon anyway.....even if I do prefer StreetS as an overall song.

Anyway, I voted for WTTW, Luminous and SE, on top of a bunch of album tracks. As well as Beautiful Ghost, which is a lovely piece.

Cracking album.

I'm always surprised by how many votes pretty weak b-sides like Walk To The Water and Deep In The Heart get, while something better like Race Against Time languishes. Now that I think about it, I should've given Race Against Time a vote.

You're kidding right?

ISHF is the The Joshua Tree, it's greatness comes down to that one song. That's what I reckon anyway.....even if I do prefer StreetS as an overall song.

ISHFWILF is The Joshua Tree? Last time I checked, most of JT wasn't shallow, plodding, and mundane. It's an OK sing-along the first few times you hear it, but it definitely has nothing to make me really want to hear it again.

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Exit
Spanish Eyes
Sweetest Thing '87
Beautiful Ghost

With Or Without You
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Spanish Eyes
Silver & Gold

IGC, OTH, Exit, Race Against Time, Deep in the Heart, Beautiful Ghost (the only time modern vocals over an older instrumental piece has actually worked), and Rise Up. Adam needs to find that fretless bass again.

I could have put Streets too, but as Ax noted, it's not going to need any help.

(And I'm assuming that bass in Rise Up is fretless... it sounds like it to my n00bish ear, but I'll happily be corrected if I'm wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom