Best Song Survivor v2: Passengers era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top FIVE songs from this era proceed to the Nineties Semi-Final.

Welcome to the Passengers era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The title track from Zooropa led the pack in the Zooropa era round. It almost passed New Year's Day for best performance by a song in any round, receiving essentially 90% of the vote - just shy of NYD getting 91.5% in the War round. There was a notable disparity in the voting between the top four from the Zooropa era and the remaining tracks fighting it out for the three remaining spots. In perhaps a surprising turn of events, Daddy's Gonna Pay just squeezed out The First Time to make its debut finals appearance in a Survivor tournament. This is quite the turn-around for Daddy's Gonna Pay since the 2009 tournament; back then it got the second-lowest placement of any album track (Babyface obviously being last).

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. Zooropa - 53 votes
2. Stay - 49
=3. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - 46
=3. Lemon - 46
5. Dirty Day - 27
=6. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 19
=6. Numb - 19

8. The First Time - 18
9. The Wanderer - 17
=10. Babyface - 10
=10. Some Days Are Better Than Others - 10
12. Slow Dancing - 3
(Total voters: 59)

I fucking love this album and I decided to go with my top six rather than top five:

United Colours
Slug
Your Blue Room
Always Forever Now
Beach Sequence (seriously one of the best things U2 have ever done)
One Minute Warning

I was very close to swinging Let's Go Native a vote too, and I hope Corpse places well. On the other hand, having Elvis Ate America even in contention strikes me as morally repugnant. :wink:

Indeed. Passengers is f**cking brilliant.

Unfortunately, someone is probably going to come along sooner or later (they always do) and call most of it "boring filler". Except, of course, for YBR, which for some reason I suspect will do quite well. :)

Anyone who doesn't vote for Beach Sequence does not have a soul.

Good thing I've been turning from blonde into a ginger over the past couple of years then....

:wink:

Your Blue Room
Miss Sarajevo

The rest I couldn't care less about. Sorry guys, but it just bores me to tears.

Slug because it's one of my favorite songs they've ever recorded. Something about it, just beautiful. I gave a vote to Corpse too since I do enjoy it. I like plenty of others here as well but I really only wanted my vote for Slug to count.

I'm sad that The First Time once again didn't make it out of prelims. Love that song.

I fucking love this album and I decided to go with my top six rather than top five:

United Colours
Slug
Your Blue Room
Always Forever Now
Beach Sequence (seriously one of the best things U2 have ever done)
One Minute Warning

Where the fuck is Miss Sarajevo? :|:wink:

Just listened to this album all the way through after maybe years! Despite extremely artsy/difficult pieces like Theme From The Swan or Ito Okashi or the hilariously bad Elvis Ate America.... this album is overall a great listen! It's crazy when you think about how the same band produced something as commercial and easy to digest as their mid-2000s output. They really pushed the envelope with this one, with a lot of help from Brian Eno. Lots of favourites here for me: United Colours, Slug, Your Blue Room, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo. One Minute Warning and Let's Go Native ain't bad either. Great effort! I just love the subtlety of tracks like Always Forever Now and Beach Sequence. More subtlety please. How cool would it be if out of the blue, just for once they decide to come out with Original Soundtracks 2?!! One can dream.

Slug
Beach Sequence
Always Forever Now

I enjoy all three of those more than Your Blue Room and Miss S, so I'm only voting for those, to not dilute my vote.

Really love this album :up:

I can't pick my favourites from this one yet!! really surprised thought this one would be a breeze...fantastic album though, might give this album a listen before bed before voting

How in the world did Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car and Numb beat out The First Time and The Wanderer????

Come on interference!

Most of this is boring filler, except for Your Blue Room.

:wink:

But seriously, I just can't get into this album. I'm not one for the uber-experimental music like this. Fair play to those who do like it, I just can't get into it.

Extend that list out to Miss Sarajevo and I'm with you. Tracks 2-7 of Passengers is one of my favorite stretches of U2 music.

I'm really not a big fan of Miss Sarajevo either. It's markedly weaker than at least half the album. What baffles me is the lack of love for United Colours. What a fucking cool opener.

should be 50, I asked for a vote to be added for that one :up:

Shit, that's embarrassing since I even went through the thread making sure I hadn't missed any vote requests. I was tired and clearly didn't look closely enough. :reject:

Sarajevo is definitely overrated.

United Colours rules. Really evocative, almost scary opening track. Really achieves that on-a-bullet-train-in-Tokyo vibe they were going for.

United Colours rules. Really evocative, almost scary opening track. Really achieves that on-a-bullet-train-in-Tokyo vibe they were going for.

:up:

Also, I'm aghast at One Minute Warning having a mere three votes. It's a fantastic track, easily on the level of stuff like Always Forever Now.

I think Miss Sarajevo is gorgeous. I'd be okay not hearing it on a third tour, but the studio version is just so beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom