Best Song Survivor v2: No Line on the Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top SIX songs from this era proceed to the 2000s Semi-Final.
Note: To clarify, "No Line on the Horizon" includes all versions of the song - i.e. it encompasses NLOTH II.

Welcome to the No Line on the Horizon era round in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The HTDAAB era featured a surprisingly even vote. However, this was not a compliment to the era. For the first time, an era polled so poorly that only two songs successfully garnered over half of the total vote; in all previous rounds at least four songs, and usually more, won over half the vote. One song, however, has enjoyed a stunning turn-around in how Interference rates it. As recently as 2009, A Man and a Woman was widely derided. We ran both versions of Survivor back then - in the original version, it was the very first song to be voted off, while in v2 (i.e. this format) it placed 15th. Now? Third, sweeping it into the finals. By contrast, All Because of You and Original of the Species both received their worst results ever.

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. City of Blinding Lights - 37 votes
2. Vertigo - 33
=3. A Man and a Woman - 26
=3. Fast Cars - 26
5. Window in the Skies - 25
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 22

7. Crumbs From Your Table - 18
=8. Native Son - 17
=8. Original of the Species - 17
=10. Miracle Drug - 14
=10. Smile - 14
12. One Step Closer - 13
13. Are You Gonna Wait Forever? - 10
14. Love and Peace or Else - 9
15. Yahweh - 8
16. Xanax and Wine - 6
17. All Because of You - 5
(Total voters: 58)

I really enjoyed this album when it came out after fearing the worst. It seemed like a big, refreshing change after HTDAAB. Yet I must admit it just has not stood up over time. I find myself largely disinterested in this selection of songs; I don't necessarily dislike them, I'm just apathetic towards a lot of the poll. NLOTH II, Fez, and White as Snow are favourites of mine and I still enjoy them immensely, but beyond those three the only song I care enough to vote for is Cedars of Lebanon and that was a borderline decision. Magnificent's good but I'm not fussed enough about its fate to throw a vote at it (probably won't need it anyway).

Hope Stand Up Comedy doesn't get any votes. "Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" is a leading candidate for worst U2 lyric ever.

I'm glad six are going through because there are six great songs on this album:

NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS
Fez
Breathe
Cedars

I love all of those. After that it thins out to pretty good and lousy tracks.

No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Fez-Being Born
Breathe
Soon

My vote for No Line is because of the album and live versions. I still like NLOTH II but it hasn't stood up as well over the last couple years for me.

Magnificent just gets in as my #6 here since I decided to vote for the full number going through this time.

Moment of Surrender still my favorite on the album, as it's been for some time.

Fez-Being Born is great, as is Breathe, which is probably my second favorite on the album. Kind of a weird song, but I love it.

Soon gets a vote from me because of the mystery surrounding it during the lead up to the tour. Great times! It still brings back great tour memories as well. :D The song still carries a bit of mystery around it too I think.

In all I think I still like this album about as much as I did when it was new. :up:

I like quite a few on this album, but I voted for the 3 songs I like considerably more than the rest: Moment of Surrender, Crazy Tonight, and Breathe.

Yes, I love Crazy Tonight. The live remix ruined it, the studio version is great. If only we had a complete version of the edit they used for the Blackberry commercial.

See, I'd have perhaps voted for Crazy Tonight if the studio version were half as good as the live version.

See, I'd have perhaps voted for Crazy Tonight if the studio version were half as good as the live version.
That seems to be the general consensus around these parts. To each their own, I guess.
Magnificent is the most overrated U2 song ever.
Can't argue with this. I don't have a problem with Magnificent, it's just sooooooooo bland and U2-by-the-book that it doesn't capture my attention. It's just not that great. This band could've done this in their sleep.

The production and overall sound, maybe. The chord progression and arrangement had thought put into them though.

No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Fez
White As Snow
Cedars Of Lebanon

Fez is my favourite U2 song of the past decade. Fantastic atmosphere.

I though NLOTH :love: (album) was a masterpiece then, and i still do now!
(like what i consider to be their other masterpieces JT, AB - there are songs that i think are eh to ok - but the quality & amount of songs that i love/rave over<and then add in the really likes> is what makes an MP to me :) )

NLOTH
Breathe
Unknown Caiier
Fez-Being Born
Magnificent
IGCIIDGCT

These are more or less in order

While there are some wondrful parts in MOS I just love these better.

"Crazy" I really liked on record...and hated the live version when i saw it on YT. But over time (and very luckly before I saw them live) I really began to
like it...and fell in love with it this funkified version when I was there at the show. It was sooo much frun!

I also really like Boots esp live.

Really surprised I'm the only person to vote for Stand Up Comedy. I just loved the live version!

god I love this album. Only true fluke for me is Cedars... well, yeah, winter I don't give a shit about either but that's not on the album anyway.

NLOTH, MOS, Crazy, SUC(SUE ME!), Fez, Breathe

Baffled that Comedy has two votes, especially when Boots doesn't have any. Boots is a pretty mediocre song and may well put in the worst performance of any lead single this tournament, but it's not the worst song on this album. It shouldn't place below Comedy, Winter, and Soon.

Add one to Cedars Ax, I thought I checked it, but it didn't come up

No worries, will do.

Really surprised I'm the only person to vote for Stand Up Comedy. I just loved the live version!

You're surprised by this, how?? :scratch: It is the probably the most ridiculed song on this forum in recent years!

This album is soooo much better than Atomic Bomb, it is not even funny! Save for the middle 3 or 4 tracks, it is U2 going back to their strengths... atmosphere and subtlety.

Even songs like Magnificent or Breathe which are loud and chimes galore do not come off as trying too hard... something that happens too often on Bomb.

NLOTH
MOS
Crazy Tonight
Boots
Fez
Soon

Yea, I admit to a vote for both Crazy Tonight and Boots. I love the live version of Crazy, and Boots is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

That No Line is polling as well as Moment of Surrender is mildly bizarre to me.

notsure-1.jpg

You, uh ... realize they never played it live, right?

I voted for everything but Crazy Tonight (although the live version is so fun), Stand Up Comedy, Boots (and I LIKE Boots), and Winter.

I like Boots too. I actually like everything here except Winter. None of the final versions excited me. Although the clip we got of the solo during the "making of" period (in the Adam videos) was absolutely gorgeous.

No Line
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Fez
Breathe

These are five damn strong tracks. The rest of the album, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom