Best Song Survivor v2: Late Eighties Semi-Final

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top EIGHT songs from this era proceed to the Grand Final. Ninth place may proceed as a wildcard.
(Fifth place in the early eighties semi or ninth place in this semi, whichever polls better, will proceed as a wildcard.)

Welcome to the Late Eighties Semi-Final in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The current final features seven songs from the Joshua Tree, six from the Unforgettable Fire, five from Rattle and Hum, and one UF era b-side: Love Comes Tumbling, the sole b-side thus far to reach the finals. Nine of the nineteen songs were singles, while eight of the nineteen have featured on Best Of compilations. The early eighties semi had some surprising results. Although An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart won the Boy round, it failed to progress to the finals, while The Electric Co. stormed into a finals berth as the only song from Boy. The four guaranteed finalists are two songs from War, one from Boy, and one from October; non-album single 11 O'clock Tick Tock may also earn a finals berth as fifth place, depending on the results of this round.

(bold = qualified for finals; italics = potential wildcard finalist)
1. New Year's Day - 37 votes
2. The Electric Co. - 30
3. Gloria - 27
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday - 24

5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock - 20
6. Out of Control - 19
7. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - 18
8. I Will Follow - 17
9. Drowning Man - 15
10. Tomorrow - 14
11. Like a Song... - 13
12. Two Hearts Beat as One - 11
13. October - 8
14. A Celebration - 7
15. Rejoice - 5
16. A Day Without Me - 2
(Total voters: 47)

A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Streets
With Or Without You
One Tree Hill
Exit
Heartland

Pride studio is definitely one of their best, but it's a totally different song live, that's why I didn't vote for it. The same can be said about With Or Without You, but the latter has (at least) some great live versions (1987-1992), so I did vote for it.

Bad
Love Comes Tumbling
With Or Without You
Heartland

another easy one for me, though I'm wondering if I could have just left out Love Comes Tumbling. love that song but the other 3 on their own would have been the best handful of votes I ever cast :wink:

ASOH
TUF
Promenade
Love Comes Tumbling
Running to Stand Still
In God's Country
Hawkmoon 269
All I Want Is You

:heart::heart::heart:

I chose my favorite three: Pride, With Or Without You, and All I Want Is You.

Pride
Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Heartland
God Part II

Axver, I just voted, and missed Streets- can you add a vote for me please?

Aside from that, I went with what I would consider my absolute favorites:
ASOH
Bad
WOWY
RTSS

But really, any combination of any of these would work.

Come on people, we need to rally around One Tree Hill!

My vote:
ASOH
UF
Bad
Love Comes Tumbling
One Tree Hill
Exit
Hawkmoon
Heartland

Seriously contemplated including Pride and God Part II, and Streets and WOWY clearly don't need my help.

We're allowed to vote for as many as we want, right?

I voted for:

ASOH
Pride
TUF
Wire
Bad
Love Comes Tumbling
Streets
ISHWILF
WOWY
RTSS
In Gods Country
Desire
Heartland
AIWIY

Axver, I see lots of people voting for fewer than 9 songs. The 9th place song needs 21 votes to get past 11 O'clock Tick Tock, right?

Come on people, we need to rally around One Tree Hill!
thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

One Tree Hill is a fantastic musical achievement. The fact that it didn't even make it to the finals of the last song survivor is an absolute abomination.

We're allowed to vote for as many as we want, right?

Yep. You voted for that many songs and still didn't give OTH a vote? :tsk:

Axver, I see lots of people voting for fewer than 9 songs. The 9th place song needs 21 votes to get past 11 O'clock Tick Tock, right?

The ninth place song needs a higher percentage of the overall vote than 11OTT's 42.55%. At the moment, the three songs tied for seventh to ninth (RTSS, OTH, Heartland) fall just short with 41.67%.

Should there be a tie at the end, I will do a tiebreaker round. If the current tie holds, that means that 11OTT would win the wildcard, while RTSS, OTH, and Heartland would go to a multiple choice tiebreaker where the top two proceed.

thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

One Tree Hill is a fantastic musical achievement. The fact that it didn't even make it to the finals of the last song survivor is an absolute abomination.

Let's try to persuade any voters on the fence with the best five minutes of U2 ever. EVER.

Best ever One Tree Hill - U2, Dublin Point Depot - YouTube

One Tree Hill
Promenade
TUF
WTSHNN
All I Want is you
Desire
Running To Stand Still
Pride

What a great selection of songs, my 8th vote was the hardest as it was either Pride or ASOH, normally i vote for Homecoming but this time decided to go for Pride, the album version is one of their greatest single and probably Bono's best vocal, the umpteen shit live versions shouldn't count against the studio version.

Studio: ASOH > One Tree Hill.

Live: One Tree Hill > ASOH.

The two best U2 songs ever.

Exit is definitely in my top ten U2 live songs. It's an absolute fucking beast, and it's criminal that it has only been performed once since the end of the JT Tour.

EXIT FOR U2'S NEXT WORLD TOUR 2025.

tuf, bad, Streets, Still haven't ound, WOWY, OTH, Hawkmoon, God part 2 and AIWIY.

CRAP I forgot Exit! :doh: Ax, would ya please add it?

Exit is definitely in my top ten U2 live songs. It's an absolute fucking beast, and it's criminal that it has only been performed once since the end of the JT Tour.

EXIT FOR U2'S NEXT WORLD TOUR 2025.
:up:

They'll probably rehearse Exit, Interference explodes and then they decide to play All Because Of You instead.

CRAP I forgot Exit! :doh: Ax, would ya please add it?

No worries!

They'll probably rehearse Exit, Interference explodes and then they decide to play All Because Of You instead.

:lmao:

5pm: "OH MY GOD THEY REHEARSED EXIT AND A SORT OF HOMECOMING AND LADY WITH THE SPINNING HEAD TODAY AND DALLAS SAYS THEY'LL ALL BE IN THE SET!!!!!!111!1"

11pm: "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT? IN A LITTLE WHILE, ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, AND VERTIGO X2? FUCK I HATE THIS BAND. WHY DOES DALLAS LIE?!"

No worries!

:lmao:

5pm: "OH MY GOD THEY REHEARSED EXIT AND A SORT OF HOMECOMING AND LADY WITH THE SPINNING HEAD TODAY AND DALLAS SAYS THEY'LL ALL BE IN THE SET!!!!!!111!1"

11pm: "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT SHIT? IN A LITTLE WHILE, ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, AND VERTIGO X2? FUCK I HATE THIS BAND. WHY DOES DALLAS LIE?!"
:love:

:tsk: Dallas never lies.

Back
Top Bottom