Best Song Survivor v2: Late 1980s Quarter Final

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top ELEVEN songs from this era proceed to the 1980s Semi Final.
(Yes, I realise that's a lot of songs, but we're ultimately going for a top 30 showdown in the grand final.)

Welcome to the Late 1980s Quarter Final in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 24 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Please vote solely on the basis of studio tracks. Songs with multiple versions will be listed separately; remixes will not, so if you favour a remix over the original song, vote on the basis of your favourite.

The Rattle And Hum era featured a close six-way battle for five spots. All I Want Is You and Heartland stormed through, while the next four songs polled within eight votes of each other. In the end, Angel Of Harlem had to miss out. This time, no non-album tracks polled strongly, although Hallelujah Here She Comes was able to equal the position of the lowest ranked album track, Love Rescue Me.

INTERFERENCE'S RAH ERA RANKING
(Songs in bold proceed to the quarter finals)
1. All I Want Is You - 65 votes
2. Heartland - 57
3. Desire - 49
4. Hawkmoon 269 - 45
5. God Part II - 44

6. Angel Of Harlem - 41
7. Van Diemen's Land - 22
8. When Love Comes To Town - 18
=9. Love Rescue Me - 12
=9. Hallelujah Here She Comes - 12
11. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel - 10
(Total votes: 79)

I've decided to stay consistent with my votes from the individual eras, which means I've voted for a couple more than eleven thanks to seven of my favourite songs advancing from UF - there was no way I was voting for just four from the other two albums.

Also, a topic for discussion! This will be important in a couple of days. Which era's poll shall feature HMTMKMKM, Zooropa or Pop? I'm not putting it with Passengers since that round is solely for songs released under the Passengers pseudonym.

Reasons for Zooropa:
1. The song originated during the Zooropa sessions.
2. Zooropa's poll only has 11 songs, compared to Pop's 18. (Zooropa gets six finalists; Pop gets seven.)

Reasons for Pop:
1. It is more sonically aligned with Pop.
2. It came out closer to Pop than Zooropa, and was featured as a new song with the Pop material on Popmart.

My document with all the songs by era currently has HMTMKMKM in with Pop, but I am open to switching to Zooropa if people think that would be a good idea.

Also, a topic for discussion! This will be important in a couple of days. Which era's poll shall feature HMTMKMKM, Zooropa or Pop?

A new album era should only start with the release of said album, so I think that HMTMKMKM should be in Zooropa's pool.

My votes:
Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Running to Stand Still
In God's Country
Desire
Hawkmoon 269
God Part II
All I Want Is You

A new album era should only start with the release of said album, so I think that HMTMKMKM should be Zooropa's pool.

This isn't bad logic. Plus it helps flesh out the Zooropa round! Though I am including The Ballad Of Ronnie Drew with NLOTH rather than HTDAAB, as it was released much, much closer to NLOTH - and the HTDAAB round is quite big enough. I suppose it doesn't matter though, because it'll be lucky to get ore than one or two votes while HMTMKMKM is a genuine finals candidate.

Also, this reminds me that Electrical Storm and THTBA need their placement finalised. I currently have them in with ATYCLB. Without ES and THTBA counted for either era, ATYCLB has 19 and HTDAAB 20.

Yeah, ES and THTBA should be with ATYCLB stuff. Ronnie with HTDAAB, but like you said it won't get many votes either way, so there's no problem leaving it with NLOTH stuff.
Where are you placing the Single Mix of Sweetest Thing? Or that one isn't on the tournament? (If it is, I guess it should go with Pop stuff.)
And there's MDH songs too. :hmm: It was released only a few months before ATYCLB, but unlike Ronnie something like TGBHF has a good chance of proceeding in the tournament I guess.

I stuck with 11 votes this time, which means some of the songs I helped vote in were left out this time around.

Pride
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
Running To Stand Still
Desire
Heartland
God Part II

Yeah, ES and THTBA should be with ATYCLB stuff. Ronnie with HTDAAB, but like you said it won't get many votes either way, so there's no problem leaving it with NLOTH stuff.
Where are you placing the Single Mix of Sweetest Thing? Or that one isn't on the tournament? (If it is, I guess it should go with Pop stuff.)
And there's MDH songs too. :hmm: It was released only a few months before ATYCLB, but unlike Ronnie something like TGBHF has a good chance of proceeding in the tournament I guess.

Putting Ronnie Drew with NLOTH gives it 14 songs, a reasonable enough number (remembering that 7 go to the finals), while it would expand HTDAAB to 21 (with only 5 finalists). Either way, I don't think it matters, and I'm almost tempted to just not include it.

Sweetest Thing '98 will go with Pop, yeah, as bizarre as that pairing may seem. There's just no other logical place to put it.

As for MDH, it only had two new full U2 songs - TGBHF and Stateless, and TGBHF's presence on some editions of ATYCLB makes it easy to include it in the ATYCLB era round.

a sort of homecoming, wire, the unforgettable fire, promenade, in god's country, one tree hill, exit, spanish eyes, hawkmoon 269, heartland, god part 2

stoked to see i still haven't found a way to wake up after hearing this song not progress.

lol no one's gonna vote for Ronnie Drew

As long as that pest of a song GodPart2 doesn't get through, I'll be 'alf satisfied. This round is already dodge with ISHFWILF's absence.

lol no one's gonna vote for Ronnie Drew

I wonder if any song will finish the tournament with zero votes. J. Swallow and 4th Of July both managed to sneak one. I reckon Viva Davidoff and Ronnie Drew are the best remaining chances at zero.

A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
Love Comes Tumbling
With Or Without You
One Tree Hill
Exit
Spanish Eyes

Put HMTM with Zooropa, it's already ludicrous that more than half of that album will get through; at least with HMTM in it's half, rather than more than half.

This forum's love for that extended EP is beyond ridiculous. With all the crap R&H gets, the band gets bored and writes a bunch of whatever while they're on tour, throws it on an album and releases it...and this lot thinks it's a masterpiece.

Voted ASOH, PITNOL, Wire, RTSS, IGC, OTH, Exit, Spanish Eyes, Hawkmoon, Heartland, GPII

This forum's love for that extended EP is beyond ridiculous. With all the crap R&H gets, the band gets bored and writes a bunch of whatever while they're on tour, throws it on an album and releases it...and this lot thinks it's a masterpiece.

shame on you. :down:

this is just an epic quarterfinal. A CD of Promenade, Wire, God Part II, Desire, ISHFWILF, Hawkmoon 269, Luminous Times, and In God's Country would be an absolute killer one and those are the songs I didn't vote for in this quarterfinal. What a great band!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom