Best Song Survivor v2: Early Eighties Semi-Final

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).
The top FOUR songs from this era proceed to the Grand Final. Fifth place may proceed as a wildcard.
(Fifth place in this semi or ninth place in the late eighties semi, whichever polls better, will proceed as a wildcard.)

Welcome to the Early Eighties Semi-Final in Best Song Survivor v2! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 songs. Each album will be featured in a single round with the non-album tracks from its era. The amount of finalists from each era is based on seeding from the latest U2 Album Survivor. These rounds will last 48 hours and will be multiple choice polls where you vote for your favourite tracks (within reason). A suggestion is to vote for the amount of tracks that will proceed to the next round, although this is not a hard and fast rule. Remember that there is a tradeoff: if you vote for more songs, the power of each of your votes is dampened, but if you vote for fewer songs, you get to spread your influence less far.

Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. However, you are free to vote on the basis of live versions, alternate versions, remixes, etc., as in the normal version of Survivor. Basically whatever you think best represents the song in your mind.

The current semi-final features five songs each from Boy and War, four from October, one non-album single from the Boy era, and one non-album single from the October era. Nine of the sixteen songs were singles; only four, however, have ever appeared on a Best Of compilation, and one of them was as a hidden track. The last round was the Rattle and Hum era. There was a striking difference in the amount of votes for the top six and the rest. Unfortunately for sixth place, only five songs proceeded from RAH to the semis.

(bold = qualified for finals)
1. All I Want Is You - 43 votes
2. Heartland - 38
3. Hawkmoon 269 - 31
4. Desire - 30
5. God Part II - 27

6. Angel of Harlem - 23
7. Van Diemen's Land - 11
8. When Love Comes to Town - 10
=9. Hallelujah Here She Comes - 8
=9. Love Rescue Me - 8
11. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel - 4
(Total voters: 53)

That means the late eighties semi will feature:
A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
Love Comes Tumbling
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
Running to Stand Still
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Exit
Desire
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You

The Electric Co
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day

oh CRAP! :shocked: i didn't see New Year's Day! it's my fave on that list as well!

oh CRAP! :shocked: i didn't see New Year's Day! it's my fave on that list as well!

I'm willing to add/correct votes in the case of genuine mistakes like this. Want me to add one to NYD for you?

I'm willing to add/correct votes in the case of genuine mistakes like this. Want me to add one to NYD for you?

oh cheers Axver! that would be great, thanks! :)

(phew i will be able to sleep tonight hehe)

Haha, no worries, will do. :up:

My own vote:
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
The Electric Co.
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Gloria
Rejoice
A Celebration
New Year's Day

What an awesome bunch of songs - not just those seven, but the whole poll. I hate to leave out songs I enjoy as much as IWF, OOC, Tomorrow, or Like a Song, but I think those are the seven of which I'm most fond at the moment. I tried to cut it down further just to five songs but that wasn't happening.

This era of U2 is so fucking good.

I only voted for 2 this time, in the hope of helping An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart.
New Years Day is their best song of the era and won't matter to ACD/ITH. Anything else I might have voted for could have kicked ACD/ITH down the list.
My actual list of 5 would have looked more like this:
New Years Day
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Gloria
Rejoice
Tomorrow

Out of Control
Gloria
Drowning Man
Desire
I Will Follow

I just love these more than NYD, SBS, Elrctric Company

SBS is a great song. I'm not as fond of NYD as I once was ; but it
will always be special
as it was the first time :hyper: i heard and saw
anythiing live by (part of) U2 Summer '83. Adam starting up on bass and Edge starting up on electric piano on stage- sound check, rehersal on Pier 86 in
Mahattan (NYC) as i went off on the Circle Line i thought i might be able
to at least hear them,maaaaybe see them if the height of the boat was
in line with sightlines to the stage (it was!) b/c i had to give up my ticket
for the full show later in the evening.

Out of Control
The Electric Co.
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day

I know, probably the most boring set of votes, but they are truly the best 4 songs from the era in my opinion.

Wow, it's a bit weird that after winning Boy's round, An Cat Dubh is now trailing OOC and The Electric Co.

I Will Follow
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Gloria
Tomorrow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day

surprisingly easy! :)

Shit, I really hope there isn't a draw for fourth or fifth. That could get messy. Under certain scenarios, we will have to have a tiebreaker round.

Back
Top Bottom