Best Song Survivor v2: All That You Can't Leave Behind era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment
Kite
In A Little While (always loved this song, sounds great on record, but really does stop a concert dead)
Wild Honey
When I Look At The World
New York (another fantastic song on record, but without Bono doing rhythm guitar it just fell flat live)
Summer Rain (think I could have gone without voting for this one but I do like it a lot)
Big Girls Are Best (fucking BRING IT!)
Electrical Storm

Well by that standard 40 wouldn't qualify either.

And also, much of NLOTH would be in question, because so much of the music was (and some of the lyrics were) written by Brian Eno and Dan Lanois instead of U2.

Beautiful Day, Elevation, Kite, WILATW, TGBHF, Summer Rain, Always, Electrical Storm

Not quite that much of a fan of this album...

Well by that standard 40 wouldn't qualify either.

Yeah I forgot about that one, although if you want to really dissect the idea (which I had not done before) I thought 40 was more pieced together by Bono, as opposed to taking a preexisting poem pretty much straight over to the music. I could be mistaken there though as I can't remember now if that's the case. I know it isn't in it's entirety though. But TGBHF always seemed to be a different case than all their other songs to me.

And also, much of NLOTH would be in question, because so much of the music was (and some of the lyrics were) written by Brian Eno and Dan Lanois instead of U2.

And no, that isn't the same. Those people collaborated with U2 to create new U2 songs, and they've done that plenty of times before.

Anyway, I had a different idea as to what the definition of original was here. Axver clarified it, so it makes sense now.

Yeah I forgot about that one, although if you want to really dissect the idea (which I had not done before) I thought 40 was more pieced together by Bono, as opposed to taking a preexisting poem pretty much straight over to the music. I could be mistaken there though as I can't remember now if that's the case. I know it isn't in it's entirety though. But TGBHF always seemed to be a different case than all their other songs to me.

Beautiful Ghost/Songs of Experience is also very much in that category.

Nice to see the love for WILATW, Stateless, TGBHF and Levitate.

I gave no love to Stuck, even tho I recognize it as a good pop song, or Electrical Storm. I don't get the ES love frankly. Plus, the fucking stag jumping across the screen in the video absolutely ruins it for me.

Electrical Boogaloo has twice as many votes as Stateless. I need a fuckin vacation from this place.

I have to say that no matter how much of a disappointment this album was at the time, for me personally after the colourful highs of Pop, I still enjoy the heck out of some of these songs when I do return to them.

I remember really trashing Wild Honey in online reviews when it first came out. But these days interestingly I find it to be the most fun listen in the whole album. I'd rather listen to that gorgeous Van Morrison-ish Beatlesque melody than say, the heavy strings and subject matter of Kite.

This album would've probably been closer to perfection had it been arranged something like this:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Levitate (maybe a shorter, more complete version though)
3. Walk On (single version made into full song w/ "Home" verse)
4. Kite
5. Stuck In A Moment (acoustic)
6. In A Little While
7. Wild Honey
8. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
9. Stateless
10. Peace On Earth
11. When I Look At The World
12. New York
13. Grace

...something like that.

Back