Best Song Survivor v2: Achtung Baby era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, shame to see One struggling like this. Fact of the matter is that people are oversighting or thinking it doesn't need the votes. Certainly not my favourite song from the era, but a damn, fine and timeless song, as 98% of U2 songs usually concur.

Zoo Station's progression is all that is essential for me here...and Real Thing and Mysty Ways could do a few more votes

Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel
Mysterious Ways
Lady With The Spinning Head
Salome

I am so glad to see this happen.

Oversighting one because it doesn't need the votes? Pfft, how about not voting for it because I detest the overrated little shite?

I don't really detest it, but I really don't see it as a top 5 of the album songs. I'm kinda glad too, shame that WOWY didn't get the same treatment (One > WOWY imo)

it's just weird that people loved it enough to finish top 2 in two song survivors and now it is fighting to stay in the top 10 of Achtung Baby era? why would people's opinions change that much?

it's just weird that people loved it enough to finish top 2 in two song survivors and now it is fighting to stay in the top 10 of Achtung Baby era? why would people's opinions change that much?

This is a different type of poll. No strategic voting going on here. Just consensuses. Finally One is getting what it deserves--no help. Anyway as I've said in the past, lots of casual U2-fan friends of mine didn't know One was a single and think it's average at best, and that the music is horribly dated. When they think of a single from Achtung Baby, it's Mysterious Ways.

It was second because it wasn't actually in the contest until the final two rounds. Same with Streets.

In context of the rest of this album, One just falls flat. Sure, it's a good song. But that's all it is.

If it weren't so overrated I would probably be able to appreciate it more.

And I do love WOWY, much much more than One.

What the hell? Why is this forum all of a sudden so against One?

I now wish One was the only song I had voted for.

I've noticed certain songs get a reputation to be hated every now and then on Interference. Right now it's ISHFWILF and One (and to a lesser extent Pride). soon it will be NYD and WOWY. it seems a way for people to kind of brag on their dislike of popular song and superior tastes. I'm sure many people actually don't like these songs but it becomes so popular to bash them that people seem to need to bash it constantly. see songs we like more than One thread.

I like and/or love most popular U2 songs.

Funny you mentioned Pride, since the studio version of it I love. The live versions have been so chewed out and are just dragging on, no thanks. Same used to be with One, I liked the studio one and Bono ruined it live for me. But now I don't really like the studio version either, it's not that special...

Interesting that you see it as a way of bragging, I never knew you could brag with your personal opinion.

For the record, WOWY is one of my favourite U2 songs and NYD is one of my favourite songs to play.

I've noticed certain songs get a reputation to be hated every now and then on Interference. Right now it's ISHFWILF and One (and to a lesser extent Pride). soon it will be NYD and WOWY. it seems a way for people to kind of brag on their dislike of popular song and superior tastes. I'm sure many people actually don't like these songs but it becomes so popular to bash them that people seem to need to bash it constantly. see songs we like more than One thread.

:laugh:

Yeah, I dislike One because I wanna be cool. I'm sure that's why I think it's a crap song. :rolleyes:

What the hell? Why is this forum all of a sudden so against One?

I now wish One was the only song I had voted for.

So now the anti-strategic voters who inadvertently got a more fair version of survivor want to vote strategically to save their favourite songs. Hmmmmmm. :|

So now the anti-strategic voters who inadvertently got a more fair version of survivor want to vote strategically to save their favourite songs. Hmmmmmm. :|

I was never an anti-strategic voter. I voted strategically occasionally in the past version.

I was never an anti-strategic voter. I voted strategically occasionally in the past version.

Sorry, guess I lumped you in with the loads of others. Two or three people came out of the woodwork to chastise the strategic voters every round, so I guess I've wrongly lumped most of the EYKIW regulars into that.

Holy shit. Even if Ultra Violet's going to progress, this result is better than I could have ever anticipated.

Well, apart from the epic fail on the lack of WDIAGW votes.

Acrobat getting a lot of votes here, bit of a worry. Love the tune, but gee it's the most auto-pilot song on Achtung Baby in my opinion. All the other songs have always seemed to have pride of place on Achtung Baby, a true sense of purpose. Acrobat doesn't. That's not a criticism of the song in itself, it's just I feel it contributes the least in what making Achtung Baby the second greatest album of all time, in my reckoning. Just ranting here....but just they way I've always felt.

Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World has grown on e massively these past few weeks, and Love Is Blindness throughout the whole of the past year. Extraordinary album, they almost all deserve to progress.

I agree with the bit I highlighted but I don't see how "bragging" comes into it. It's just more of a case of certain songs not being flavour of the week every now and then, that's all. The recent undermining and poor performance of ISHFWILF can be attributed to this I believe, but it pains me a little when I've finally come round to how magical the song is, it coincides with the recent poor showing it has experienced in recent rounds. For me, it's just a case of, " :sad:why now?", when I'm on a massive ISHFWILF bender at the moment. Kinda funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom