Best Song Survivor v2: 2000s Semi Final

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select your FAVOURITE song(s)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping it's COBL that doesn't make it...incredibly overrated track.

You know, a tie for eighth here might actually help. I'd just throw the tied songs in with MW and LIB, vote for favourites, take the top two to the final.

Alright, I'm in no hurry to start the new round and I have two options for how to proceed from here, since all eight qualifiers passed the 45.24%.

1. A pure match-up between MW and LIB. They are the lowest qualifiers here. This, as proposed earlier, would stick to the tournament's principle of "vote for your favourite(s)" by allowing you multiple choice: MW, LIB, neither. Whichever comes out on top, goes to the final. My only problem is "what if neither wins?" I can't even say "send through the next highest qualifier", because that's still a tie.

2. Have a contest between all songs that polled between 45.00-49.99% of the vote; again, vote for favourite(s) and the three lowest placed songs are eliminated (and awared places 31st-33rd). Most finalists qualified with >=50%. The songs that would be involved in this round, in order of their percentages:

Love Is Blindness: 45.24%
Mysterious Ways: 45.24%
The Electric Co.: 45.57%
One Tree Hill: 46.84%
Heartland: 48.1%
Electrical Storm: 48.15%
Unknown Caller: 48.15%

I'm not sure I'm necessarily happy with this, since the three 1980s songs have already qualified and I'm not sure I should strip them of that status, but then part of me favours this idea because it is more consensus-based.

I think I'll probably go with #1, but let's have some discussion. I'd like to see if there are any powerful reasons opposed to either option, or any ideas for a better 3rd option.

I'd say option #2. That way it becomes much less elimination-based.

And I'll promise to vote for One Tree Hill, Axver ;)

I'm not going to be able to articulate any great reasoning but it just seems like option #1 makes the most sense because, as you said, they are the two lowest qualifiers. And a one on one matchup would be cool.

And I'll promise to vote for One Tree Hill, Axver ;)

:laugh: :up:

I've had a couple of other people comment to me on IM that they'd favour #1 too, though ... apologies to everyone for not getting a round under way post-haste, but I'd rather time for input.

I am already considering how to run this next time, though. I might make the polling percentages the determining factor of progression rather than seedings per album, since some albums are more popular on the basis of individual tracks than as a cohesive whole, and vice versa.

(By "next time", I'm thinking this could be run in November once the two tour legs are done.)

Option 2 would be the most enjoyable. A 7 song showdown between songs that we never imagined would be cometing against each other. C'mon Ax, do it....you know you wanna! It's like a Second Chance Draw, a gesture to those who almost missed out to say, hey, well done, you almost made it, now we're gonna give you another chance.

Option 2 would be the most enjoyable. A 7 song showdown between songs that we never imagined would be cometing against each other. C'mon Ax, do it....you know you wanna! It's like a Second Chance Draw, a gesture to those who almost missed out to say, hey, well done, you almost made it, now we're gonna give you another chance.

Yeah, but it's also potentially stripping three legitimately qualified songs of their place ...

I think the most fair thing to do would be option 1. It's sorta unfair to take out songs that already earned their keep.

yes no 1, and i wouldnt make too much fuss about it. neither of these songs will survive much longer (even though lib would fully deserve a long stay in the final).

The final's just going to be one single round - top 30, vote for your favourites, and we'll compile a forum top 30 out of that. I am thinking of leaving it open for 2 days to get more votes in ...

I'll start the new round in the morning, as that's a better time for me. Look for it in about 10-12 hours ... expect it will be #1.

How about you correct that other mistake and make an eight-way 45% poll with Sweet Fire of Love included. I'm sure it would've polled somewhere in that region anyway.

Also, I just meant that since no Passengers albums will be in the finals the 90s songs only represent 3 albums. plus there are basically 3 non-album tracks in the 00 semifinal as well that are all generally liked.
if people don't vote for them, then that means the consensus is they're not well-liked. i don't see why they deserve a place if no one voted for them. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom