Best Song Survivor: The Unforgettable Fire Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
In the last round, Wire barely avoided tying with Promenade. The latter was eliminated while the former moved on. We now move to the final round for The Unforgettable Fire. Five songs remain competing for four slots in quarterfinals. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be kicked out of this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Well this is probably the easiest decision of the entire game so far.

I really don't know how to vote with Bad. I guess I'll vote for it now based on the studio version, but honestly, but no one but me cares how I'm determining what to vote for.

(Or at least no one SHOULD care what I'm voting for. So do not comment on this comment, because otherwise I will shame you for caring about why I vote the way I do. :wink: )

I think we can all agree that when Wire is severed, the best four songs on the album will be left.

For all the talk of this album being consistently brilliant etc, almost every round has been completely lopsided. It's suggesting to me that the forum actually sees it as a highly uneven album.

For all the talk of this album being consistently brilliant etc, almost every round has been completely lopsided. It's suggesting to me that the forum actually sees it as a highly uneven album.

You could call it a consistent album with a clearly defined hierarchy. :wink:

Well this is probably the easiest decision of the entire game so far.

Hardest for me.

Obviously I'm not going to touch ASOH, the best studio recording in U2's career. Nor am I going anywhere near a vote for UF or Bad. I don't agree with some people on this forum that the studio version of Bad is weak; when I first got into U2 at age eleven with the Best of 1980-1990, it was Bad and Pride that stuck out to me most as favourites. I've always loved the studio version, and then the live versions are just incredible - in terms of its entire performance career, I think Bad rather than Streets is the quintessential example of live U2.

So that leaves me with Pride or Wire. I prefer Pride in studio to Wire, but Pride's live versions, with only rare exceptions, have been mediocre and completely lacking the magic of the studio version. Wire, on the other hand, gained even more visceral energy live. I find myself at something of a stalemate. I'm tempted to abstain.

Wire. It should've gone earlier.

I agree with everything Axver said about Bad and Pride .:up:

Hardest for me.

Obviously I'm not going to touch ASOH, the best studio recording in U2's career. Nor am I going anywhere near a vote for UF or Bad. I don't agree with some people on this forum that the studio version of Bad is weak; when I first got into U2 at age eleven with the Best of 1980-1990, it was Bad and Pride that stuck out to me most as favourites. I've always loved the studio version, and then the live versions are just incredible - in terms of its entire performance career, I think Bad rather than Streets is the quintessential example of live U2.

So that leaves me with Pride or Wire. I prefer Pride in studio to Wire, but Pride's live versions, with only rare exceptions, have been mediocre and completely lacking the magic of the studio version. Wire, on the other hand, gained even more visceral energy live. I find myself at something of a stalemate. I'm tempted to abstain.

Agreed. I don't think I've ever heard a particularly convincing live version of Pride, but the studio version is peerless, one of the best songs they ever put on wax and probably their most important single.

Sorry Wire, you're great, but the others are U2's top 10 material.

I remember the 31 August 1984, Wellington version of Pride as being equal to the studio version ... I think there might be a few other 1984 versions that are pretty good too.

I'm inclined towards voting off Pride just due to its consistently poor live showing - and the fact U2 keep trotting it out when they have plenty of other warhorse crowd pleasers they could play that sound better live. Though looks like it doesn't matter really; the outcome's clear. I'm inclined to agree with djerdap's assessment that this is a consistently great album that nonetheless has a well-defined hierarchy on EYKIW.

I really like the Rattle and Hum version of Pride, but nothing comes close to the album version. Most live versions are dreadful.

Hardest for me.

Ok this is a tad bit misleading...I mean, I agree that Wire gained energy live. It was great.

And yes, Pride has had some less than stellar live moments.

But - and it's a pretty big but - the total times Pride has been amazing, even if you only think it was rarely, is more times than Wire has even ever been played live! :lol:

So when you take that and then couple that with the indisputable fact that is studio Pride > studio Wire...

The decision is fairly straightforward.

If the same people who voted off 11 Oclock Tick Tock did so because the live greatness of it doesn't save (in their mind), the studio mediocreness of it...how can the live mediocreness of some instances of Pride overshadow the sheer freaking awesomeness of the album version?

This makes no sense to me.

What matters is when you think of a song, what version (or versions) come into mind first, which ones you listen to the most and therefore which ones you hold as favorites. It can be the studio version, a specific live version, or live versions in general. It's a positive way of thinking if you will, which is quite weird for this place I know.

djerdap said:
What matters is when you think of a song, what version (or versions) come into mind first, which ones you listen to the most and therefore which ones you hold as favorites. It can be the studio version, a specific live version, or live versions in general. It's a positive way of thinking if you will, which is quite weird for this place I know.

Exactly. That's the type of philosophy that I'm trying to encourage here.

The only good live versions of Pride are those from November and December 1984. I generally adore those shows, but Pride was definately at its like peak then.

People always whinge on this forum as if U2 are playing Red Light when they play Pride. Sure it isn't as good as the studio version but I've heard it live four times and loved it all four times.

But - and it's a pretty big but - the total times Pride has been amazing, even if you only think it was rarely, is more times than Wire has even ever been played live! :lol:

What on earth are you talking about?

Wire was played eighty times. I'm pretty sure I've heard the vast majority of them. Never a dud, and the ones with the Gimme Some Truth snippet are particularly noteworthy.

I can name ONE amazing live Pride. I'm pretty sure I used to rattle off a couple of other rare examples (when I actually listened to bootlegs much), but I never had more than I could count on one hand.

Wire's 80 flogs the shit out of Pride's 1-5.

Back
Top Bottom