Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Staring at the Sun was eliminated in the last round ( :angry: ). Still six songs remain from Pop. Half of them will progress to the 1990s quarterfinal round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Discotheque. I love it, but there is just too much quality remaining. Given the obvious order that things have gone (only one relaly close one, and both tracks are gone) will be difficult to tell how the votes will redistribute

Gone is easily the least appealing here... But tempted to wait to see if I need to vote to save something else.

I'm not saying what I voted for anymore. People see a consensus forming early and start getting all defensive with their voting.

Discotheque is clearly weaker than the other five. I've always found its studio version to be a bit flat and uninspired. It became amazing on the Popmart Tour, but the other five were already amazing in studio.

LNOE is fucking amazing. I fear it will perish this round, which would be a shame - definitely one of U2's best rock anthems. Love that chorus.

I won't be losing any sleep if this turns out to be the last night on earth for LNOE. It was a monster live, but it's clearly rough around the edges ( the 'middle eight' - wtf is going on there exactly?). Having said that, it doesn't deserve to be elimated before Discotheque. I do feel inclined to vote in order to safeguard DYFL aka the best U2 single that wasn't a single.

I'm realizing something: I think that I like this album less than I used to. As a whole, I think it's utterly fascinating, extremely interesting, and a very, very good album. But I'm not as interested in a lot of the songs that are considered standouts here. For instance, neither Gone nor DYFL nor LNOE really does much for me. Compared with the other 90s albums, I like Zooropa much more, which used to not at all be the case. OS1 is creeping up too, though I think I still prefer Pop. And obviously, I prefer Achtung Baby to Pop, though Pop stands in good company in that regard.

Mofo. Live it's pretty kick-ass, album wise it doesn't do much. Just thought I'd put that out there, not that this vote is going to matter much.

Please- the album version is easily the weakest here. Great song live, but it just falls flat on the album. It's boring, plodding and murky. You guys voting Discotheque are out of your minds. The song has power, just turn up the volume.

A 4-0 start looks radically different from the first four posts being

LNOE

LNOE

LNOE

LNOE

Which just seems like a landslide.

If by '4-0 start' you mean that the first four posts all named different songs, then yeah, point taken.

As for me, I'll vote for whatever I need to to save Please. It is too early to call at the moment.

Wow, this round is currently much closer than I thought it would be. Honestly, I wish we had some more across-the-board close battles like this.

Mofo. Live it's pretty kick-ass, album wise it doesn't do much. Just thought I'd put that out there, not that this vote is going to matter much.

Your version is broken.

Please- the album version is easily the weakest here. Great song live, but it just falls flat on the album. It's boring, plodding and murky. You guys voting Discotheque are out of your minds. The song has power, just turn up the volume.

Plodding and murky is how I'd describe the studio version of Discotheque.

Plodding and murky is how I'd describe the studio version of Discotheque.

Yeah, sounds like crap no matter how loud you turn it up.

The live takes were all much more interesting anyway, Popmart (by midway through leg two) being the pick of the bunch.

A Discotheque/Please/Last Night On Earth tie would be a wonderful way to finish Pop off. Make it happen, interference!

Back
Top Bottom