Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Please doesn't make the finals I'll burn this forum to the ground. What a joke!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...calls for violence just because someone disagrees with yours are not appropriate, especially in this charged political climate.

People should feel free to vote how they wish, without the threat of intimidation or coercion.

Thank you.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion

The Joshua Tree is a superior album to Pop. That's about as non-debatable as non-debatable gets. No serious U2 fan would suggest otherwise, even if that person was a Pop fan. So in your case, if you think Joshua Tree is superior Pop, and someone else says the opposite, your opinion does mean more than that persons.

Whether Pop is a good album is debatable. Whether it's superior to Joshua Tree is not.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion

?

If Please is ousted, a call for change will be DUE.

There are other songs, and then there is Please. If they choose the latter, I am going to take serious action. There are people in cyberspace who can help me. Well make no mistake, your oppressive bad taste, should it continue, will be brought to light and dealt with swiftly and justly.

I know people. And if that doesn't work, then those with me on this can start a MOVEMENT with me. I know obtaining support will be easy.

It takes five seconds. Five seconds to decide if you are going to be part of the problem, or part of the SOLUTION.

If Please is ousted, a call for change will be DUE.

There are other songs, and then there is Please. If they choose the latter, I am going to take serious action. There are people in cyberspace who can help me. Well make no mistake, your oppressive bad taste, should it continue, will be brought to light and dealt with swiftly and justly.

I know people. And if that doesn't work, then those with me on this can start a MOVEMENT with me. I know obtaining support will be easy.

It takes five seconds. Five seconds to decide if you are going to be part of the problem, or part of the SOLUTION.

Right fucking behind you man. I will threaten with violence if Please is voted off in an internet poll before I believe it should be. It's called "FREEDOM OF SPEECH".

It's the first fucking amendment! You don't even have to go that far to discover the TRUTH.

Listened to POP from beginning to end for the first time in a few years last night on a proper sound system. Wow. I was blown away. I forgot how much I love this album.

This round I voted Please. Love the song live, the single version, and the post 9-11 acoustic version. The album version is pretty lifeless and has muddled production. (A problem shared by Miami and IYWTVD)

Runner up this round is Do You Feel Loved. Great lyrics but could use some musical hooks (and I always thought that electronic computer dial-up modem sound was pretty cheesy)

Just a reminder, we're not necessarily voting on album versions here. We're voting on overall feelings about songs. If you want to take that to mean album versions only, fine, but it doesn't have to be that way.

I'm really surprised people are voting for Discotheque. It's the most iconic song on the album.

July 1981: Fire.

I love Fire. Really catchy melody, and Edge's solo in it is one of my favorites of the early U2 period.

GOYB. I love, like LOVE, the chorus of that song, but the rest of it is kind of pedestrian. It is a great chorus in search of a better song.

1. With Or Without You
2. New Year's Day
3. The Fly
4. Discotheque
5. Pride(In The Name Of Love)
7. Numb
8. A Day Without Me
9. Fire
10. Desire
11. Beautiful Day
12. Vertigo
13. Get On Your Boots

Or something like that.

Get On Your Boots had such potential. Basically if the main riff had simply been the bass line with a bass fuzz and Edge had played something a 3rd note up (such as the guitar harmonization in Black Dog by Led Zeppelin), and if the guitar after the first chorus hadn't been so pathetic, it could have been a darn good song. Also if it'd had more of the "Let Me In The Sound" style drums throughout.

I love Fire. Really catchy melody, and Edge's solo in it is one of my favorites of the early U2 period.
While the riff is not bad, the lyrics are that terrible, that other elements don't make up for that.

Boots isn't much better either.

Get On Your Boots had such potential. Basically if the main riff had simply been the bass line with a bass fuzz and Edge had played something a 3rd note up (such as the guitar harmonization in Black Dog by Led Zeppelin), and if the guitar after the first chorus hadn't been so pathetic, it could have been a darn good song. Also if it'd had more of the "Let Me In The Sound" style drums throughout.

My main issue is that the verses have no melody, much like Vertigo. I dislike that and find it to be almost lazy songwriting. Which is frustrating because the chorus melody/harmony is so great. Back in 2008, it was the beach clip I listened to the most, so hooked by that chorus was I.

Of the remaining songs I rate them as follows:

01. Last Night On Earth
02. Do You Feel Loved?
03. Gone*
04. Mofo*
05. Discotheque*
06. Please

*Some days these three would swap spots.

LNOE for me. While the song is awesome live, the studio version really lacks.

Whereas DYFL, it's the exact opposite. That song fell with a huge THUD live (videos from Vegas and Tempe exist on youtube if you need proof.) However, the album version is perfect. I remember when I first bought the POP album, I had only heard Discotheque (about a thousand times!) and while I had warmed up to it, I was afraid what the rest of the album might sound like. DYFL and Mofo assured me that all would be well!

GOYB. I love, like LOVE, the chorus of that song, but the rest of it is kind of pedestrian. It is a great chorus in search of a better song.

1. With Or Without You
2. New Year's Day
3. The Fly
4. Discotheque
5. Pride(In The Name Of Love)
7. Numb
8. A Day Without Me
9. Fire
10. Desire
11. Beautiful Day
12. Vertigo
13. Get On Your Boots

Or something like that.

My list is exactly the same except all the songs are in a different order.

Back
Top Bottom