Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round Nine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Discothèque reached for a slot in the quarterfinal round, but it just could not grab it. We eliminated Discothèque in the last round ( :angry: :angry: ). Thus, four songs remain. Three songs make it to finals, so this is Pop's final round. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be eliminated from this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Oh thank god, Discotheque's finally gone.

... and now it's almost impossible to vote. Fuck. All four of these are brilliant tracks. Gone's my clear #1, so I'd vote to protect it (it's the only post-eighties track in my top ten U2 songs, though Zooropa and The Fly are in the top fifteen). I'm happy for any two of the other three to join Gone in the finals. I guess all things considered I'll probably vote off DYFL, simply because Mofo and Please took things to extraordinary levels live, while DYFL kind of flopped - not that it was given a chance. We wouldn't remember Mofo or Please as live spectacles if they'd been ditched after six gigs either.

Again, it's a difficult vote only because we're comparing songs with no clear criteria.

Live:
MOFO- Powerful
Gone- Powerful
Please- Powerful
DYFL- I enjoy it, warts and all, but mid tempo songs don't typically make a powerful impact, live.

Album
MOFO- Awesome
Gone- Awesome
DYFL- Awesome
Please- murky and plodding, which call attention to the stinky lyrics mid song

Therefore... Please must go.:wave:

Have to vote for Do You Feel Loved, even though it's one of the fucking coolest songs ever.

That's how good this band is.

Really can't decide. Not DYFL or Gone. I guess Please? The studio version is slightly weak-ish, but then again so is Mofo. They both take off live.

Fuck it, I'll flip a coin. Heads Mofo, tails Please.

The coin says Please.

this is such a horrible job by interference. the best two songs are about to be gone (discotheque, do you feel loved). at least gone and mofo advance.

by far the most disappointing set of results though.

I'm going back watching some clips of the early POPMART shows and it's interesting to see some of the distinctions between those and the later shows. Particularly the opening drums and sequence of MOFO, and the funk in Gone. The songs got tighter and stronger as the tour went on, but I wish they would have kept those parts. By the time the show got to Mexico, it's almost too polished. (More electronic and less raw instruments?)

I've seen Vegas a bunch of times but it's my first time coming across the Denver show.
U2 - Popmart - Denver 1997 (Proshot) RARE - YouTube

My choices for final three would always be Mofo, Gone and Wake Up Dead Man, unfortunately WUDM went very early which leaves me with one available slot.

I love both Please and Do You Feel Loved equally so then I look at live performances and though I admit DYFL failed I never liked Please live, I think it's probably because of Bono's over dramatic weird chant/noise thing thing he does at the end which just never sat easy with me.

On balance though, I just like Please (studio) that bit more. It also has a decent video.

1. Please (one of their best live efforts of all time)
2. Mofo (no explanation is necessary)
3. Gone (great song)
4. Do You Feel Loved? (very good song)

One of the best lyrics on the album.

Yes. When put into the context of the song, they make perfect sense.

All four are great songs, but Gone is my least favourite here. Much better live.

Seriously, Mofo is one of the worst songs U2 ever recorded. It's popularity around here is almost as bizarre as LWTSH. It's not as bad are Miami or Playboy Mansion, but pretty close. Just garbage.

Please and in particular Do You Feel Love? are weak, and have no business beating the better songs on this record (most of which of course are now gone).

Speaking of which, Gone is one of the best songs on that record, and on some nights the live version would enter the stratosphere. Even though U2 has wisely disowned Pop, and mercifully will likely never play most of those songs live, ever again, I have to admit there's a few songs from it I wish they'd bring back in concert. Only one of which is remaining here.

Voted for Gone, but it doesn't look like it will matter.

For some reason, I expected this final round to be a bit closer.

Since Gone evidently doesn't need any protection, I went with DYFL per the logic of my first post in the thread. Four sensational songs here and all would be worthy finalists.

There's an interesting comparison with last time. Pop had four finalists rather than three, since it did better in Best Album Survivor then. However, DYFL did much worse. The four finalists were Mofo, LNOE, Gone, and Please. Discotheque was eliminated as fifth, SATS sixth, and DYFL seventh. So it's moved up a full three spaces in the intervening few years. Good showing. (Had Pop only had three like this time around, it looks fairly conclusive that LNOE would've been ousted, so the top three is unchanged.)

Seriously, Mofo is one of the worst songs U2 ever recorded. It's popularity around here is almost as bizarre as LWTSH. It's not as bad are Miami or Playboy Mansion, but pretty close. Just garbage.

Please and in particular Do You Feel Love? are weak, and have no business beating the better songs on this record (most of which of course are now gone).

Speaking of which, Gone is one of the best songs on that record, and on some nights the live version would enter the stratosphere. Even though U2 has wisely disowned Pop, and mercifully will likely never play most of those songs live, ever again, I have to admit there's a few songs from it I wish they'd bring back in concert. Only one of which is remaining here.
Which songs do you consider the better songs on the record?

I can't believe Discothèque lost out to Do You Feel Loved.

Oh well, at least it goes in this round.

This is hilarious. Mofo one of their worst hahahahahahahaha NO.

I'm a chair member of the Hive and have no idea what this song is.

You know, you're right, I'm slipping. First it's "Do You Feel Love?" next it will be "Where The Street Has No Name".

So here's the deal LemonMelon/COBL/Axver (if you are indeed different people), et. al., I've changed my mind about The Hive. I wan't to join. Really.

What do I need to do? Is there a secret handshake? Do you guys all wear the same sunglasses? I'll vote to keep Mofo in; I'll swear up and down that Acrobat is the greatest song ever written; I'll trash One and praise LWTSH; I'll shout out loud that Pop is a misunderstood masterpiece and U2 are tools for disowning it; I'll hang out for hours/days/weeks/years in the Random Music Threads like I work at Championship Vinyl mocking EYKIW, then come over here and slum when I'm bored. Just tell me what I need to do. Please, I'm serious. This is a cry for help.

Oh. Are there any girl members?

So here's the deal LemonMelon/COBL/Axver (if you are indeed different people), et. al., I've changed my mind about The Hive. I wan't to join. Really.

What do I need to do? Is there a secret handshake? Do you guys all wear the same sunglasses?

I thought the secret handshake was kissing my arse, but the results of this Survivor appear to indicate otherwise.

post counts.

You rang?

Back
Top Bottom