Best Song Survivor: Pop, Round Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favourite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The City of Angels version is not a different version. It is the same single version.

Well, if nothing else, Nick's shown up how shitty my memory can be just after rolling out of bed on a Sunday morning. (And the fact that I couldn't give a shit about City of Angels or U2's association with it.)

I'm not sure what's so difficult to admit...that IGWSHA was a better single? Any casual listener, I believe would conclude that. It's clearly the more accessible song. Whether it's a better song in terms of quality is of course debatable, but I think at that point, as you said, they were at the end of Pop's run and not much they put out was going to light up the charts.

I don't really agree that IGWSHA is massively accessible, though. To me it's a dull, plodding song with a weak hook - not really the sort of thing to do very well on radio. I suppose that is a value judgement, but even if you think it's a great song, I think my general point still holds that it doesn't exactly have the claws to sink itself into the mind of the radio listener and thus tear up the charts. It is not, shall we say, the most immediate song going around.

At a time when the Prodigy, Underworld, Chemical Brothers, etc. were riding high, I'd actually think Mofo might have had the best crossover potential. But yeah, either way, chart run's pretty much over and I think they weren't going to achieve much putting out any single at this point. The whole single strategy for Pop really does not seem to have been thought out much in advance at all, and as each single disappeared without leaving a big mark, they just pumped out another single in the hope it might catch on. It's as if, by the time of IGWSHA/Mofo, they were hedging their bets by putting out two very different songs and hoping one might make a dent.

Is IGWSHA an acronym for something else? I was trying to type something on my iphone today and it autocorrected to "IGWSHA". It freaked me out. :lol::reject:

Just means you're a really nerdy fan :wink:

When I type community it always autocorrects to Community (the TV show), same with Destroyer.

Yes but why did it autocorrect to that? I mean, it's trying to correct to something that's commonly used right? That's what I don't know. :reject:

And yeah I hate when it capitalizes words to shows like that. :lol:

my phone autocorrects emo to EMO. i don't remember ever typing it in all caps as i never even use the caps lock and rarely TYPE LIKE THIS in texts/emails on my phone. i guess i did once though and am now doomed to always have it pick EMO first.

oh and igwsha.

Well, I was merely responding to the suggestion that Mofo wasn't single, which clearly it was, and that it would make a better single than IGWSHA...which clearly, it wasn't, at least in terms of sales.

And in this case, it doesn't matter when it was released...we can do an apples-to-apples comparison because the Mofo and IGWSHA singles were released on the same day. And IGWSHA significantly outperformed it (though admittedly, neither was a blockbuster).

A remix of Mofo was released with very little fanfare at around the same time as IGWSHA. It was a pretty bad remix and wasn't given any attention by radio/tv or even the band really, so personally i wouldn't really count it, though of course it will appear in the records of history as a U2 single.

I meant to say that if they had released the album version as a stand alone single, perhaps even the 1st single it would have been a better choice than IGWSHA. It is a MOFO afterall and should have been treated with the respect it deserves! :wink:

Yeah I do think U2 has written a few of the best songs ever written!
Definitely! (The first two sentences of my comment were supposed to be a joke about Staring At The Sun being one of the best songs ever ((which IMO it is)) though, I'm not sure if that came across correctly...?)

I like anything on Bomb better than If God.

I didn't see the If at the beginning of your statement and thought "Well, that's an odd comparison..."

Back
Top Bottom