Best Song Survivor: October Round Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
With a Shout (Jerusalem) was eliminated from this competition in the last round, leaving eight songs competing for October's two slots in the early 1980s quarterfinal. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be kicked out of this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

I will most likely be putting the vote on Scarlet this round. It's nice, but not better than a nice little song like I Fall Down.

^Because it's a good song?

Okay, I figured out how to view poll results. But I didn't want to vote for I Fall Down. :| So Fire it still is.

Scarlet's a pleasant little track and would've been a really nice outro for the album. I Fall Down is actively annoying.

Maybe one reason I rate this album so highly while most of the forum seems to be down on it is that I rate Is That All? is the second best song on the album whereas most people wish that song wouldn't have existed. But see, I heard Is That All? and formed my opinion of it before I'd heard of The Cry.

Scarlet works great as a mood piece. It's a clever twist on a post-punk tradition. Fire, on the other hand, has next to nothing going for it, in my opinion of course.

Maybe one reason I rate this album so highly while most of the forum seems to be down on it is that I rate Is That All? is the second best song on the album whereas most people wish that song wouldn't have existed. But see, I heard Is That All? and formed my opinion of it before I'd heard of The Cry.

I've always been a fan of Is That All too. :up:

I don't even consider The Cry an actual song. I'm surprised anyone does. :shrug:

I just think Is That All? would've made a good b-side, and I'm pretty sure I heard it before I heard The Cry. The album would've been fine as ten tracks, then use Is That All? as Fire's b-side, and J. Swallow can languish in the vaults until it finally appears as a SUPER BONUS AMAZING UNRELEASED TRACK on the remaster. Fire gets a decent b-side, the remaster actually gets to contain something unreleased, and the album gets a good outro; everybody wins.

Most U2 songs are better than Fire.

:tsk:

Fire has cool guitar, and I think it's a good apocalyptic post-punk song.

Though in the end I'm not going to come out to try to protect it ... since only two songs can make it through to finals, the only songs I give a shit about protecting are Gloria (doesn't need protection) and Rejoice (can it sneak into the finals?).

Meh, fuck Gloria. Tomorrow and Rejoice is where it's at!

1. Gloria
2. Rejoice
3. Tomorrow
=4. I Threw A Brick
=4. Fire
=6. Scarlet
=6. October
=6. With A Shout
9. Is That All?
10. Stranger In A Strange Land
11. I Fall Down

Can't be arsed to separate the ties for fourth and sixth. They're all good songs.

1. Gloria
2. Tomorrow
3. Stranger In A Strange Land
4. I Fall Down
5. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
6. Scarlet
7. October
8. With A Shout
9. Rejoice
10. Fire
11. Is That All?

Or something like that, usually...

I think it's generally been considered a "mini-song", especially since it was listed separately on some setlists. I wouldn't consider it a proper song (more of a song than Shine Like Stars, less of a song than Into the Heart), but it had more potential than Is That All? indicates.

Scarlet's a pleasant little track and would've been a really nice outro for the album. I Fall Down is actively annoying.
This, especially the repeating 'I Fall Down, You're Falling Down' and on and on and on:down:

Back
Top Bottom