Best Song Survivor: No Line, Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I apologize for the delay in starting this round. Anyway, in the last round, Cedars of Lebanon was eliminated. That leaves six songs from No Line on the Horizon vying for three spots in the 2000s quarterfinals. You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

How much more of this is there? And when are you going to start the "Rate the live songs" series?

a) There's the rest of NLOTH, then 2000s non-album songs, then 2000s quarterfinals, then 1990s/2000s semifinals, then finals.

b) That's for someone else to do.

I don't actually get the point of this series. Isn't it pretty much the same that Rate The Song series was only that we're doing it backwards

Considered voting Fez- A bit over-rated over hear but has great atmosphere. My vote is for Magnificent. Good idea, but a little generic. The song would be better IMO with a faster tempo like the Falko Radio Mix.

Too bad UC is getting thrashed so bad though. I really like the song. Fantastic intro, interesting lyrics, and nice outtro. Yes, I even like the lyrics and think it's an interesting idea for a song. Better executed than Magnificent at least.

For the first time in this tournament, I listened through the six songs before I voted.

Unknown Caller and Fez/BB are the weakest links in my opinion, although they are both sublime. Both innovate and deviate from regular U2 (UC lyrics, Fez structure) but they feel half-baked compared to the the other four...

Fez gets points for atmosphere, so I vote for UC.

That's part of the charm.

Dig, you are good. Real good. And it's because you are good that you MUST do a Rate the Live Songs series.

I fear there are dark days ahead for U2 fans. You polls are needed...now, more than ever.
Part of the charm indeed.

I anticipate that this forum will start having news to talk about within a few months of this series ending. I've primarily run these polls to keep this board alive during dry times (2012). But even if that wasn't the case... I'd like a break after this. I don't think I want to run another rating/ranking contest until after the coming album/tour cycle.
Sorry, I didn't mean that it isn't entertaining and a good acticity for the board. You're really good with statistics. I just don't understand how's it different from Rate the song series

Sorry if my response sounded upset; I was in a snarky mood. Anyway, theoretically, they're the same thing, but the actual results will probably be somewhat different, and it's interesting to see how Interference (ab)uses the two systems differently. Also, I wanted to start something to keep this forum active through late 2012-early 2013, and why just repeat what I did in early 2012?

It's weird thinking that I started this all the way back in early October. It hasn't felt like it's taken that long.

Anyway, theoretically, they're the same thing, but the actual results will probably be somewhat different, and it's interesting to see how Interference (ab)uses the two systems differently.

While the results may be similar, in every other respect I find Rate the Song and Survivor to be very different, in the type of discussion they stimulate.

With Rate the Song, we're primarily talking about the songs from a perspective of those we like, whereas with Survivor the concentration is on what we don't like...as a result the vibe of the Survivor series feels much more negative. It definitely brings out the U2 bashers and give them an excuse to spout stuff like "Suck in a moment", "Piss on Earth" and the ever-charming "Elevation sucks donkey balls", all sentiments which have been shared with us by some of our more eloquent members in this series.

On a positive note, Survivor does give The Hive a break from arguing Vampire Weekend vs. Silversun Pickups vs. Modest Mouse, or whatever indie band is hip that month, so these polls are definitely a great public service. :)

I'm new to this, but I don't see the point in complaining about a competition when it's already 12 albums in! I voted for Unknown Caller. It was previously a favorite but nowadays not so much.

Yeah I too love the atmosphere of Fez and its even better with headphones on. Though not quite enough for me to put it ahead of MOS, Breathe, NLOTH & Magnificent.

Hmm.. Fez-Being and Unknown Caller and almost equal to me, so this is a hard vote. I love the closing lyrics in Being Born so much... this is just perfect:

Head first then foot
Then heart sets sail

And the music is fresh and good. But I also really love the guitar solo at the end of Unknown Caller, and I like Bono's idea for the story in the lyrics. So which to vote. :hmm:

Also what Nick said might be true for some, about more bashing of songs in the Survivor series. But I think you can focus on the positive when making your decisions just as easily. Like I just did.

Voting for Fez, because it deserves a few votes. I love the song but I think it gets lauded primarily for how experimental and left field it is from U2 (given their output since 2000) as opposed to how brilliant it is. Unknown Caller is gone anyway.

:heart: Fez-Being Born, it's like a perfect little piece of poetry

Magdeficient. One of the most sanitized, risk-adverse and plain boring as a hog's ass single release from a major credible rock band. It should carry a public health warning before being played on the radio. "Be advised if driving, this next song has been known to cause narcolepsy."

Unknown Caller for me. Live version kinda ruined it, IMO. The Mickey Mouse style sing-a-long was pretty dorky. I really like the atmosphere they were going for, and I really love the verse about driving to the scene of the accident. But the lyrics are quite corny, and the live " (insert city name), YOU KNOW YOUR NAME, SO PUNCH IT IN! WHOOOAA!" was pretty stupid too.

That guitar solo kicks ass in the Rose Bowl DVD, however! :)

Unknown Caller and Breathe are clearly the weakest two here. Breathe gets my vote this round.

Sorry, I didn't mean that it isn't entertaining and a good acticity for the board. You're really good with statistics. I just don't understand how's it different from Rate the song series

I think part of the attraction of Survivor is the more competitive element - it seems to have stimulated a fair amount of activity, whereas I kind of forgot about Rate the Song.

Anyway, it waa about time we brought back Survivor, since we ran numerous forms of it between 2004 and 2009. It had a well-earned rest and now it's back it's turning up some quite different results to years ago.

MOS

copied my previous post in rnd #5 below.
and I just love NLOTH, Breathe,UC,Mag & Fz-BB better in various ways

I forgot about MOS.[/B].. it's quite an amazin song in some of it's lyrics, Bono's singing, and some of Edge's playing-- but not in my favorites here in turns of the Melodic lines. And melody, haromies are prime considerations for me. It dosen't always have to be totally beautiful...it can be striking, atmospheric, angst-ridden: say like BTBS !

PS I love the "Chanting" effect of the typical computer commands in UC!
:D

Back
Top Bottom