Best Song Survivor: No Line, Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• No Line on the Horizon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moment of Surrender

• Fez - Being Born

• Breathe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Sound. lol. I cringed a lot when I first heard that line, "let me in the sound".

Anyway, thanks for the link. It was interesting to read people's interpretations. At the risk of sounding like a total fanboy, any song seems to get better if you dig deeper into the lyrics.

There is an entire thread dedicated to that one phrase if you're interested :wink:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f194/the-meaning-of-the-sound-throughout-the-album-202135.html

Good songwriting may not necessitate good lyricism, but it should offer you a reason to give them a second look.

Mysterious Ways is driven by a clever metaphor and uncharacteristic groove. EBTTRT was musically cutting edge for the band. Desire was a left-field direction and extremely catchy besides.

The new rockers are generally bland and aren't offering anything new to U2's catalogue. Those three tracks do though, each of them.

I don't disagree with this at all. I'm just saying, they're all songs played in pubs and nightclubs for drunk fratboys/teenyboppers/bogans/chavs/what-have-you to shout the chorus. This was not a new thing with Elevation or Vertigo, and to be honest, more people probably scored after trying to pick up to Mysterious Ways' chorus than to Vertigo. But that's a debate for a spin-off from everybody's favourite "picking up at U2 concerts" thread.

I don't disagree with this at all. I'm just saying, they're all songs played in pubs and nightclubs for drunk fratboys/teenyboppers/bogans/chavs/what-have-you to shout the chorus. This was not a new thing with Elevation or Vertigo, and to be honest, more people probably scored after trying to pick up to Mysterious Ways' chorus than to Vertigo. But that's a debate for a spin-off from everybody's favourite "picking up at U2 concerts" thread.

Oh god that reminded me of this ridiculous moment once when I was watching a U2 tribute band perform Sunday Bloody Sunday and all these attractive women from the audience started coming on stage and dancing with Fake Bono.

"wipe the tears awayyyyy... wipe your blood away!!!" :dance:

That's pretty dismissive, especially of something like Mysterious Ways. Clearly there's an aspect of that in some of these songs, but music can work on more than one level, and can appeal to different people for different reasons.

Oh god that reminded me of this ridiculous moment once when I was watching a U2 tribute band perform Sunday Bloody Sunday and all these attractive women from the audience started coming on stage and dancing with Fake Bono.

"wipe the tears awayyyyy... wipe your blood away!!!" :dance:

Well that beats any story I've got. :lol:

That's pretty dismissive, especially of something like Mysterious Ways. Clearly there's an aspect of that in some of these songs, but music can work on more than one level, and can appeal to different people for different reasons.

Er... I don't think you've grasped the nature of the discussion here.

Yeah, I still cannot 'get' the bore that is Cedars of Lebanon. The rest of the album is pretty damn awesome to me, Love Crazy, love SUC, but that damn last track is such a boring way to end the album and ends quite abrubtly too. Shoulda replaced that one for NLOTH2. End it with a bang.

I wish U2 would create more songs like COL. Good lyrics, beautiful minimalistic guitar playing, very good rhythm section. So much better than the Vertigo's of this world.

Yeah, I still cannot 'get' the bore that is Cedars of Lebanon. The rest of the album is pretty damn awesome to me, Love Crazy, love SUC, but that damn last track is such a boring way to end the album and ends quite abrubtly too. Shoulda replaced that one for NLOTH2. End it with a bang.

But Cedars has very nice lyrics...

I have your face in an old polaroid
tidying the children's clothes and toys
You're smiling back at me
I took the photo from the fridge

Anyway, almost all their closers are solemn and reflective. They never end the album with a bang.

Cedars is awesome. Great minimalist production and singing and a really interesting character sketch. Probably my fourth fav after MoS, Fez and NLOTH.

Scarlet would've been a better closer, kind of like a reprise of Rejoice. That said, I do not hate Is That All. It's alright.

Totally with you. "Scarlet" would've been a gorgeous, restful sort of outro. "Is That All?" is fine, but would've been better as a b-side.

Cedars is awesome. Great minimalist production and singing and a really interesting character sketch. Probably my fourth fav after MoS, Fez and NLOTH.

Also totally with you, except replace MOS with "White As Snow".

But Cedars has very nice lyrics...

I have your face in an old polaroid
tidying the children's clothes and toys
You're smiling back at me
I took the photo from the fridge

Anyway, almost all their closers are solemn and reflective. They never end the album with a bang.

True on the last part, but usually they're slow but reflective. Not boring me to death(honorable mention for Grace there though!).

I just can't get into Cedars.. tried listening again a couple day sago... and it's still not clicking with me.

SUC.

Hard to imagine that that the band who wrote Stateless and Your Blue Room were reduced to this embarrassing drivel. Fortunately this record also contains Cedars, MOS and FEZ, so not all hope is lost.

I find Cedars beautiful as an album closer, for all the reasons mentioned here.

Once we demolish the middle three, then everything else becomes fair game.

This is exactly my top 4. I'd probably put Cedars ahead of NLOTH though.

Cedarse is sensational. Top 4 or 5 on the album for me and I'll probably be voting to save it early on in this round.

Votes have sure gone up in the later album rounds. 59 votes in this round, compared with the approx average of about 40 in the BOW era

Back
Top Bottom