Best Song Survivor: No Line, Round Eight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Magnificent was ruled to be not so magnificent in the last round; it got the boot. Four songs remain from No Line on the Horizon; this may be the only album that sends none of its singles onto quarterfinals (I'm too lazy to figure it out with certainty). As three songs will progress from NLOTH to 2000s quarterfinals, this is the last round for NLOTH, and the last regular album round of this entire competition! You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Probably the best result of the entire tournament, Magnificent being ousted and Fez staying in. Real proud of us guys.

Now let's all gang up on Breathe, which does not belong with these songs.

I think NLOTH (song) is pretty overrated around here.

But i also think i'm the only one who feels that way.

Probably the best result of the entire tournament, Magnificent being ousted and Fez staying in. Real proud of us guys.

Now let's all gang up on Breathe, which does not belong with these songs.

You're proud of a win by a narrow 4 votes? Lmao

If you consider you and 3 friends an overwhelming "gang"..good luck in this round - you're gonna need it! :wink:

Even with Fez not being completely "there"- I agree, it wanders a bit, and feels like it's missing something- I love how different it is- it's refreshing and exciting. I want more of this type of thing!

Breathe is ok, but IMO, nothing really that special.

Once again it's conventional rocker vs. U2 doing something different and imaginative. Like Magnificent before it, the vote this time is for Breathe.

Not that it will matter much, I have a bad feeling about Fez this round. It's the third best song on this record, and deserves to advance, but my guess is that Breathe's status as a shower opener for much of 360, and Fez's lack of a traditional structure and "hook", may give the former an edge among more conventional listeners. This is somewhat understandable, Fez is certainly the more unconventional and challenging song.

MOS is U2's best song of the 00's, and NLOTH (I) is one of the best rockers of the 00's (unless your expectation of rocker is just something to pump your fist to, in which case Vertigo is probably more your speed), so it's only appropriate that they end up representing this record, and I suspect that will be the case.

There is no way in hell NLOTH is the best rocker of the 00s.

I don't even like Elevation all that much, but it chews up an spits out NLOTH live even in its worst incarnation.

So does Squirtigo.

I don't like either of these songs overmuch, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to say that ANY song off the album currently in discussion rocks harder than those two. Especially live.

I like Breathe, but Fez is my favourite U2 song post 2000, so this is an easy choice:up:

The crappy chorus just kills No Line on the Horizon dead. Such a shame, since I think there was a great song somewhere in there, but one could say that about most of this album. It still is one of the rare songs from this record that worked really well live.

OK. I had a change of heart. I like the atmospheric qualities of Fez. It does remind me a little of the Unforgettable Fire or something from that record/time anyway. So my vote is Breathe.

Fez is probably the best song U2 has made since Please. That part where Bono is just shouting over the swell of music is goddamn catharsis.

I find Breathe strangely asphyxiating. Plenty of bluster, very little imagination. A shoddy Led Zep knock-off. Fez signifies rebirth, a TRUE moment of inspiration from an otherwise bone dry decade. Go Team Fez :hyper:

Beautiful Day signified rebirth and a fresh sound unlike anything they had done before.

Fez sounds like something from The Unforgettable Fire sessions. Not that that's a bad thing per se, but it doesn't support your theory of it being fresh or rebirth.

Yeah don't think Fez beats Beautiful Day. They don't have to be experimental or unique to make great songs/albums.

Paul McCartney from Flaming Pie in 1997 to Memory Almost Full in 2007 he released some of the best albums of his career. Nothing unique about them, just great music so many years after The Beatles and his 70s solo/Wings music. Just an example. Fez is a great song too of course, just not every song has to be like that.

Fez has very little competition for the title of best song of the 2000s - it's easily in my top five, probably top three songs for the decade. Definitely the most creative and exciting thing U2 have done in a long fucking time, and I can't believe it's got so many votes.

Breathe isn't even one of the top five songs on this album and does not deserve to be on the same level as quality tunes like NLOTH or Fez. It's not at all finalist material.

Something has to be said for U2 songs that are "finished" or worked out to near perfection. While I love the different vibe of Fez, it feels more like an experiment that never quite settled into a finished song. I generally prefer the finished songs to the unfinished experiments. Therefore, I'm gonna have to vote against Fez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom