Best Song Survivor: Late 1980s Quarter Final Round V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and if only RTSS sounded like it did on ZooTV, it might make a little bit of sense.

The piano and guitar versions of RTSS are both great, even though they're different. One of the few songs that they've nailed in every style of performance.

I'm just glad they dropped out that twangy guitar from any performance. You know, except in-studio performance.

The twangy guitar is harmless. It's so subtle it doesn't matter at all, and it's not bad. That would be like complaining about the 15 seconds of organ at the beginning of Hawkmoon, which is harmless as well.

I love how nobody voting for anything other than RTSS has addressed that godawful twangy intro.

Edit: And look what happens just as I say that.

How is it godawful? It's barely even there. It certainly doesn't detract from the listening experience.

How is it godawful? It's barely even there. It certainly doesn't detract from the listening experience.

I don't think the Hawkmoon organ comparison holds, partly because, as you say, the organ is harmless. The RTSS twangy intro sounds horrible, clashes with the style of the rest of the song, and detracts from what should be a beautiful opening.

Music is subjective: to me, that guitar isn't absolutely terrible. I just don't care for it. The song is subtle, I suppose, and has good lyrics. It's because of this that I find it to be on even par with Promenade. Also, I've never been a fan of the harmonica.

I don't think the Hawkmoon organ comparison holds, partly because, as you say, the organ is harmless. The RTSS twangy intro sounds horrible, clashes with the style of the rest of the song, and detracts from what should be a beautiful opening.

How does the slide guitar at the beginning clash with the rest of the song? It, along with the harmonica, is a staple of American folk music, a style U2 were very much into exploring at the time, and a style that RTSS was very much steeped in. Besides, it's not as if the intro is the only part of the song featuring either; the outro does as well.

How does the slide guitar at the beginning clash with the rest of the song? It, along with the harmonica, is a staple of American folk music, a style U2 were very much into exploring at the time, and a style that RTSS was very much steeped in. Besides, it's not as if the intro is the only part of the song featuring either; the outro does as well.

It feels like the start of an entirely different song. It's not integrated at all. Twangy intro ... then beautiful piano. It's like it shouldn't even be there.

Actually, what would be interesting is a ranking of all the songs left based purely on the lyrics. Personally:

1. One Tree Hill
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. Heartland
[Funnily enough, this top three coincides exactly with my U2 top three songs overall]
4. Running To Stand Still
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bad
7. All I Want Is You
8. Pride
9. With Or Without You

I'd say 1-5 are some of the best examples of Bono's lyricism, 6-7 are just a bit below, and 8-9 are very good but not classic.

It feels like the start of an entirely different song. It's not integrated at all. Twangy intro ... then beautiful piano. It's like it shouldn't even be there.

It feels disjointed, which is what the song's all about.

They were all going to vote for Heartland so I ... eliminated them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom