Best Song Survivor: How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Round I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song.

Welcome to the first round for How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in Best Song Survivor! The object of this game is to find Interference's favourite U2 song. To do so, songs will be eliminated album-by-album in 24 hour long rounds to leave the favourites to contest a final that will determine the very favourite. The top two songs from this album will proceed to the 2000s semi-final. Only original U2 songs with official studio releases will compete. Due to dominating past tournaments and the inevitable likelihood that they will do the same this time, Where The Streets Have No Name and One are not in the tournament and can be assumed default equal #1 over and above the ultimate winner.

In the last round, All That You Can't Leave Behind was mercy-ruled by popular consensus. Its three semi-finals qualifiers became stunningly obvious when the other five songs all received at least 15 votes, placed within 5 votes of each other, and had over 97.5% of the total vote. The five songs eliminated in one fell swoop were Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, In A Little While, When I Look At The World, and New York. That means the semi-finalists for ATYCLB are Beautiful Day, Walk On, and Kite.

ORDER OF ELIMINATION
11. Grace
10. Wild Honey
9. Peace On Earth
4-8. Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, In A Little While, When I Look At The World, New York
1-3. QUALIFIED

GRAND FINALISTS
1. New Year's Day
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Bad
5. With Or Without You
6. One Tree Hill
7. All I Want Is You
8. Until The End Of The World
9. The Fly
10. Zooropa
11. Stay
12. Gone

2000S SEMI-FINALISTS
1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Kite

LAST ROUND'S RESULTS
20 votes: New York
18: In A Little While, When I Look At The World
17: Stuck In A Moment
15: Elevation
... lots of daylight ...
1: Beautiful Day, Walk On
0: Kite
(Total votes: 90)

I can't decide what sucks more out of SYCMIOYO, OOTS, and Yahweh.

Might wait to see if my vote would be valuable in helping to protect One Step Closer.

My ranking for this album:

Sort Of Fine U2 Listening
1. One Step Closer
2. City Of Blinding Lights
3. Crumbs From Your Table

Alright U2 Listening
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. A Man And A Woman
6. Miracle Drug

Poor U2 Listening
7. Vertigo
8. All Because Of You

Disrespectful U2 Listening
9. OOTS
10. Yahweh
11. SYCMIOYO

That order is stable in the middle, but the internal ranking of the top and bottom three are both subject to change.

I can't stand Vertigo, ABOY, OOTS, SYCMIOYO and Yahweh, I'm fairly indifferent with most of the rest of the album. I don't really care what goes through.

I'll just vote for yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah off the bat.

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (classic)
2. City Of Blinding Lights (fine)
3. Vertigo (fine)
4. Love And Peace Or Else (alright)
5. Original Of The Species (alright)
6. All Because Of You (alright)
7. Miracle Drug (alright)
8. One Step Closer (alright)
9. Crumbs From Your Table (alright)
10. A Man And A Woman (poor)
11. Yahweh (poor)

My ranking for this album:

My rankings:

Excellent U2 Listening
1) City of Blinding Lights

Decent U2 Listening
2) OOTS
3) Yahweh
4) One Step Closer

Meh U2 Listening
5) Vertigo
6) A Man and a Woman
7) Miracle Drug

Really Bad U2 Listening
8) SYCMIOYO (although fifth leg live versions are kinda cool)
9) Love and Peace or Else (it's a shame, because it's pretty cool musically, but the lyrics are some of Bono's worst)
10) All Because of You

Should Be Illegal
11) Crumbs From Your Table (by far the worst lyrics Bono has ever written combined with music that could have been interesting but wasn't and the worst mixing/mastering that they could have possibly done)

So yeah, Crumbs 'till it's gone unless I have to intervene to try to save something.

8) SYCMIOYO (although fifth leg live versions are kinda cool)

They sure weren't when I was there. God, I stood through the majority of them too. What a waste of four minutes that could have been used on a non-boring song.

They sure weren't when I was there. God, I stood through the majority of them too. What a waste of four minutes that could have been used on a non-boring song.

Ehh... "better than the shit-tastic studio version and other live versions" might have been better phrasing on my part.

I was too busy counting the pixels on the screen to notice.

Is Fast Cars going to be in the Miscellaneous Round? I hope that gets a chance to go through. :up:

Absolutely. I haven't entirely finalised how I'll do the miscellaneous rounds - if I include the alternate versions of SYCMIOYO, Yahweh, and ABOY, there will be two miscellaneous rounds, but I'm not sure if those alternate versions inspire quite the passionate differences of taste that Sweetest Thing and Slow Dancing do (i.e. some people wanted Slow Dancing '93 to go far but '97 to be quickly ousted). Whatever the case, though, Fast Cars will be there.

The OOTS hate around here is stunning, easily the best thing here, and the only song where Bono seems to even remotely give a fuck on. The level of shit, lyrically, on this album is stunning...and COBL is one of the worst offenders (note the worn-out feel/steal/kneel rhyme crutch that B loves).

Voted AMAAW, because it's even more sucky than the rest of the suckage. And yeah I know COBL will sail through, I don't care, it still blows.

It is better than Lemon though, so there's that :wink:

Absolutely. I haven't entirely finalised how I'll do the miscellaneous rounds - if I include the alternate versions of SYCMIOYO, Yahweh, and ABOY, there will be two miscellaneous rounds, but I'm not sure if those alternate versions inspire quite the passionate differences of taste that Sweetest Thing and Slow Dancing do (i.e. some people wanted Slow Dancing '93 to go far but '97 to be quickly ousted). Whatever the case, though, Fast Cars will be there.

Awesome. :up:

The OOTS hate around here is stunning, easily the best thing here, and the only song where Bono seems to even remotely give a fuck on. The level of shit, lyrically, on this album is stunning...and COBL is one of the worst offenders (note the worn-out feel/steal/kneel rhyme crutch that B loves).

Voted AMAAW, because it's even more sucky than the rest of the suckage. And yeah I know COBL will sail through, I don't care, it still blows.

It is better than Lemon though, so there's that :wink:

I disagree with almost everything here, except to an extent the point of poor lyrics. COBL better than Lemon? :tsk: If you're talking about lyrics (or music), compare those two back to back. The difference is amazing.

What happened with ATYCLB? That seemed really quick.

eta: ok, I just went and checked....

If we had done this when HTDAAB first came out, I'd pick One Step Closer. But that song has really grown on me over the years.

1) Original Of The Species
2) Vertigo
3) Miracle Drug
4) One Step Closer
5) Crumbs From Your Table
6) A Man And A Woman
7) City Of Blinding Lights
8) Love And Peace Or Else
9) Yahweh
10) SYCMIOYO
11) All Because Of You

ABOY it is.

Might as well apply my Axver-inspired NLOTH ranking system on this one, as well:

Timeless U2 masterpieces:
None.
Very good U2 songs:
1. Vertigo
2. City of Blinding Lights
Good U2 songs:
3. Crumbs From Your Table
4. Miracle Drug
5. A Man And A Woman
6. Original Of The Species
Average U2 songs:
7. One Step Closer
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Bad U2 songs:
9. All Because of You
Awful U2 songs:
10. Yahweh
11. Love And Peace Or Else

Unlike ATYCLB, I don't really hate anything here all that much. I'll probably try to preserve a double elimination if I can, but please know that I think OOTS really sucks and is completely overrated. I don't hate it, but come on, U2.

I'm hoping COBL and Crumbs make it through, but my lack of hatred for anything here is offset by my lack of passion for anything here.

my lack of hatred for anything here is offset by my lack of passion for anything here.

That's probably pretty close to my feeling on HTDAAB actually. Other than AMAAW which I really don't like, everything else is just meh. But I don't love any of it (except for OOTS, and I don't really love OOTS, I just like it more than the rest of HTDAAB).

Want to have some fun? Compare the song B wrote about his Dad (SYCMIOYO) to the one about his Mom (Tomorrow). Yikes, poor Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom