Best Song Survivor: Grand Final XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this result is crap. TUF is just beautiful. I can't say it's in my top five favorite U2 songs, but it's certainly about the fifth place spot out of the present... choices.

^ I´m sure some people here are going to say I did not understand the rules of this survivor because I should be voting in a song only considering the best studio version but when I decided to take part in here all I have in mind was THE SONG - I didn´t classify them as: "oh, this song was better live in that show but the studio version is crap" - this is the way I´ve considered THE BEST SONG SURVIVOR and I have voted in my least favorite song till now.

A song is a song - it can be performed in different ways that nothing is gonna chance its beauty.

Sorry if I have disappointed you all.

I´m just being honest with myself and you... just that.

^ I´m sure some people here are going to say I did not understand the rules of this survivor because I should be voting in a song only considering the best studio version but when I decided to take part in here all I have in mind was THE SONG - I didn´t classify them as: "oh, this song was better live in that show but the studio version is crap" - this is the way I´ve considered THE BEST SONG SURVIVOR and I have voted in my least favorite song till now.

A song is a song - it can be performed in different ways that nothing is gonna chance its beauty.

Thank you. I agree 100%, and this is how I've been voting. Sue me.

Comes down to New Year's Day and The Unforgettable Fire... and I just find The Unforgettable Fire that much more majestic, even with its heavy, laboured breathing.

But we're not voting based on the live versions. Otherwise, it would be complete madness that UTEOTW is gone already.

WOWY would still be inferior though. :wink:

:lol: I meant that I do think Bad studio is that good, and that no live version has surpassed it.

I know I'm not going to win on the WOWY argument..

:up:

:lol: I meant that I do think Bad studio is that good, and that no live version has surpassed it.

It's...different. I'll give it that. Completely different beast, far more subtle and subdued. But, frankly, I find it dull on most occasions. I can comprehend its appeal, but...meh.

The outcome of this round indicates Bad vs WOWY vs The Fly may just be brutal.

does it need to be added in size 500 flashing red font that this is based on studio performances only? :sigh:

i voted for nyd to try to save tuf but yeah, that's not happening. oh well. imo it's a crime bad is still here as the studio track is like the bastard stepchild of how it is live, but whatever.

does it need to be added in size 500 flashing red font that this is based on studio performances only? :sigh:

I don't want to make the original post full of disclaimers and instructions, especially since this should go without saying - and has in all past tournaments, not to mention this one for most of its earlier stages.

But for the alternate version that I'm going to run after this tournament is done in a few days, I think I'll work it into a new intro.

I know you were thinking of running your own tournament, Khan, so I hope you don't mind if I go ahead and do my Alt. Best Song Survivor (and Album Survivor inc. NLOTH) straight away. It will be a short series and I'd be able to finish it before leaving for Europe in July.

I don't want to make the original post full of disclaimers and instructions, especially since this should go without saying - and has in all past tournaments, not to mention this one for most of its earlier stages.

But for the alternate version that I'm going to run after this tournament is done in a few days, I think I'll work it into a new intro.

I know you were thinking of running your own tournament, Khan, so I hope you don't mind if I go ahead and do my Alt. Best Song Survivor (and Album Survivor inc. NLOTH) straight away. It will be a short series and I'd be able to finish it before leaving for Europe in July.
oh yeah, my comment was mostly in jest. it's just funny that people voting on live versions and not liking people strategically voting haven't come up until now. i suppose it was bound to eventually since there's always new people on the forums or people who just didn't notice the survivor series until now.

oh, and that's fine with me! i wouldn't be able to start up anything until after i get back to the states, and that's not until the end of july. :up:

oh yeah, my comment was mostly in jest. it's just funny that people voting on live versions and not liking people strategically voting haven't come up until now. i suppose it was bound to eventually since there's always new people on the forums or people who just didn't notice the survivor series until now.

oh, and that's fine with me! i wouldn't be able to start up anything until after i get back to the states, and that's not until the end of july. :up:

Oh yeah, I got that, but I've been thinking seriously about whether or not to include some form of disclaimer in the original post. I don't think I'll say anything about strategic voting, but the studio disclaimer will go in there.

Alright, cool! Might as well put my proposed format up for discussion. I'll copy this into the next round too, just in case anybody has some good suggestions.

Basically, the next tournament will run like the miscellaneous rounds have run in this tournament - single round multiple choice vote for favourites. Furthermore, all b-sides and non-album material will be integrated into their relevant eras. I have suspected that in this tournament, some b-sides may not have been finalists but still would have outlived a few album tracks, and I'd like to put it to at least some sort of a test.

So, firstly, we will have a single round Album Survivor. Everybody votes for their five favourite albums/eras out of the 12 standard albums and Passengers. Seeding will be determined by this poll's result. Since there will be many more songs in some categories, seeding will accordingly be more generous (the JT category has 23 songs! Zooropa has the least; 11). The top five albums will get 7 finalists, the middle four will get 6, the bottom four will get 5.

Then there will be thirteen rounds, one for each album. The victors will proceed to the semi-finals, or in the eighties' albums cases, quarter-finals for early and late as intermediaries to make the semi-final pool size manageable. This will require a total of five rounds.

I'm not yet precisely sure how many songs will qualify for the finals, but I will try to make it 20 or thereabouts. Then there will be a vote on that 20, with the bottom half eliminated. The top ten will be the final round, and the final ranking of that will be the end result - so whichever song takes the most votes in the top ten will be our winner.

I wish there was a way we could do preferential voting like in Australian elections, but multiple choice voting is close enough! Hopefully this tournament will have only 20 or 21 rounds and finish just before the tour begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom