Best Song Survivor: Grand Final V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the whole concept of "saving votes" negate the meaningfulness of the results of these kind of polls? It'd be cool if you weren't able to see the results until after you vote. This is fun too, but it would almost certainly be different if everyone voted honestly for their least favorite song each time.

It does. I get why people do it, and I don't think it affects the end result all that much, but I am curious how the early rounds would go if people just voted for their least fav. I did, for what that's worth.

BEGIN RANT....i cannot for the life of me believe that magnificent and MOS have already been eliminated...i have a feeling these two songs, in a few years, will be view far more favorably than they are now (i would add Breathe in there too)...i think it's pretty shortsighted that these songs are being eliminated this early...but oh well, my vote, again, goes to ZOOROPA...which is SOOOOOOOOO overrated on this forum its ridiculous...END RANT

The majority around here just doesn't like 00's U2 as much as 90's or 80's. I do think there's a bit of piling on when it comes to ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and some more vocal posters trying to outdo each other when bashing them, but overall NLOTH has been pretty well-received here I think. But this place is pretty skewed toward 90's U2...is the early ousting of songs that might someday be classics any more shocking/ridiculous than the pre-finals ousting of songs that ARE classics (Pride, SBS)?

one-tree-hill.jpg

Did we change the rules this round to vote for your favorite song, and I just wasn't informed? That's the only explanation for all the Beautiful Day votes...

BD, just to keep ASOH and Zooropa around a little while longer. I'd vote for WOWY, but that would be a waste.

It does. I get why people do it, and I don't think it affects the end result all that much, but I am curious how the early rounds would go if people just voted for their least fav. I did, for what that's worth.

Yeah, I think you're right about it not affecting the ultimate results so much. But that actually makes it more ridiculous--people scheming to save a song...just so it can be immediately eliminated in the next round. What's the point of that? The results would be much more interesting each round if the voting was an actual snapshot of people's preferences since it doesn't end up affecting the voting in the end anyway.

Did we change the rules this round to vote for your favorite song, and I just wasn't informed? That's the only explanation for all the Beautiful Day votes...

great point. least favorite of these songs being BD for 20 people seems improbable to me.

I like Beautiful Day. I just don't think it's superior to any of the other songs here.

Axver, i'm still wondering if Fez - Being Born can be a write in candidate when we get to vote for our favorite song. i think it should.

Voted ASOH. It's absolutely magical live. But album version, I don't love it more than Beautiful Day. :shrug:

why doesn't All I Want Is You have the most votes? seriously, you'd rather listen to that song than Zooropa?

this place really confuses me.

Doesn't the whole concept of "saving votes" negate the meaningfulness of the results of these kind of polls? It'd be cool if you weren't able to see the results until after you vote. This is fun too, but it would almost certainly be different if everyone voted honestly for their least favorite song each time.

didn't we go over this in the last round?

i've no issue with it because i only care what's there at the end, not the specific order of exit. a real hidden poll would be much better, though.

This guy speaks the truth! Be true to yourself and vote for songs that you ACTUALLY dont like for once poeple!

Axver, i'm still wondering if Fez - Being Born can be a write in candidate when we get to vote for our favorite song. i think it should.

I think we may need that write-in category for ASOH and OTH at this rate. :grumpy:

didn't we go over this in the last round?

And the round before that, and in multiple rounds earlier in the tournament ... how many times do we need to beat this dead horse? Strategic voting is a fact of the tournament and fighting it is like fighting the tide. We can't hide the poll results until the round is over, so people are always going to be able to see how polling is going and vote accordingly. So I embrace it, and at any rate, if you want a specific outcome, the order of elimination of songs you don't care for is trivial. I couldn't care less in which order Beautiful Day, Magnificent, Kite, UTEOTW, etc. get eliminated; I'd like the top five to be OTH, ASOH, NYD, UF, and Bad or Zooropa, and I'll vote in a way favourable to that outcome.

And the round before that, and in multiple rounds earlier in the tournament ... how many times do we need to beat this dead horse? Strategic voting is a fact of the tournament and fighting it is like fighting the tide. We can't hide the poll results until the round is over, so people are always going to be able to see how polling is going and vote accordingly. So I embrace it, and at any rate, if you want a specific outcome, the order of elimination of songs you don't care for is trivial. I couldn't care less in which order Beautiful Day, Magnificent, Kite, UTEOTW, etc. get eliminated; I'd like the top five to be OTH, ASOH, NYD, UF, and Bad or Zooropa, and I'll vote in a way favourable to that outcome.

it's like in sport - if a team finishes 9th or 10th, what's the fucking difference? they still lost. the big deal is the one that finishes first.

beautiful day.

and why is the strategic voting only becoming an issue recently? i don't recall that many people, if any, complaining about it during previous tournaments. it's happened since as far back as i can remember and probably happened during the first original u2 survivor round too. hell, it even happens in the survivor threads in bang and clatter. it's just a fact of life. think of how many people talk about how they would've voted for some third party candidate in a political election but voted for a republican or democrat instead so as to not waste their vote. (their words, not mine.)

^ Right. Not to mention that strategic voting and ganging up on certain people is the whole premise of the actual TV show Survivor.

By the way, Beautiful Day isn't just my vote to save Zooropa and A Sort Of Homecoming. It's actually my least favourite song left. Easily. That it manages to help save those two songs is only a bonus. Just like with Magnificent last round.

Next round it will be harder because my least favourites move on to Stay and Until The End Of The World and they're pretty even.

By the way, Beautiful Day isn't just my vote to save Zooropa and A Sort Of Homecoming. It's actually my least favourite song left. Easily.

Yep, same. I even voted BD last round even though Magnificent was the obviously superior choice to save ASOH and Zooropa.

I'm still tossing up UTEOTW and Stay for the next round ... a few times, I've allowed strategic picks to resolve difficult choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom