Best Song Survivor: Early 80s Quarterfinal Round One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
In the miscellaneous round, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and A Celebration were the clear winners, advancing to this quarterfinal round. That leaves ten songs competing for five slots in the 1980s semifinal round. We are back to voting for least favorite songs. You have 24 hours to vote for your least favorite song, the next song to be kicked out of this contest. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

I'd like to think that there was some way that Celebration will survive. Gonna hold off and vote strategically in favour of it's preservation.

I'm a big fan of all of these songs - most of them are all-time favourites. It's really difficult trying to decide how to vote.

I'll probably vote for Tomorrow or Drowning Man. Maybe 11OTT, just because of the studio version's weakness, but since this tournament is taking into account the song's whole history, I can't deny the absolute brilliance of the live versions. The fact I'm such a serious fan today is in large part because of seeing 11OTT on the Under a Blood Red Sky video when I was 15. Just blew me away. Few songs in U2's entire catalogue have reached the heights 11OTT has reached live.

Stop kissing my arse, Gabe. Panther will get jealous again.

Someone voted for Gloria over A Celebration?

I'm going to assume they misunderstood what we were voting on.

I'd like to go on record as saying that A Celebration is an awesome song that is grossly under-rated ... but still, Gloria's better.

Threw my vote at Drowning Man in the end.

So many of those early songs that U2 have been adventurous enough to play in recent tours are much slower ,tempo wise than when they played them in the 80's,"The electric co" jump to my ears,for one.And that goes for other 80's material as well."Pride" and "New years day" comes to mind.Are they doing it on purpose?

btw,"Tomorrow" has my vote.Not a bad song at all.just a notch below of the rest of this list

So many of those early songs that U2 have been adventurous enough to play in recent tours are much slower ,tempo wise than when they played them in the 80's,"The electric co" jump to my ears,for one.And that goes for other 80's material as well."Pride" and "New years day" comes to mind.Are they doing it on purpose?

I would imagine it is being done on purpose or maybe that's the speed that Larry feels the least pain at. On some songs it's not a good thing to hear..SBS sounded positively like a dirge and 11 Oclock Tick Tock at Irving Plaza is dreadful. The slower tempos are what keep the 80s firmly in the very top of the top for me in terms of versions. Nothing beats those 80s versions of those tracks..

I would imagine it is being done on purpose or maybe that's the speed that Larry feels the least pain at. On some songs it's not a good thing to hear..SBS sounded positively like a dirge and 11 Oclock Tick Tock at Irving Plaza is dreadful. The slower tempos are what keep the 80s firmly in the very top of the top for me in terms of versions. Nothing beats those 80s versions of those tracks..

I could only imagine how slower the tempo of "A celebration" would sound like in 2012.But i wouldn't put the blame on Larry only.The Edge was also responsible for that slow tempo pace of "11 Oclock tic toc" version of Irving plaza.....and many of the material of the 80's that they are performing today.

The studio version of 11 O Clock Tick Tock is one of the worst U2 recordings I've ever heard. I don't listen to live often at all. Therefore, I'll be voting for it until it's gone.

Votes for Tomorrow and Drowning Man make me sad :(

I also don't understand the hate for the studio version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. I think it's a pretty great song all around.

The studio version of 11 O Clock Tick Tock is one of the worst U2 recordings I've ever heard. I don't listen to live often at all.

I don't get that last sentence. Live in almost any song is where U2 takes full flight, where Edge especially shines. I can't imagine a guitarist preferring studio U2 to live U2 in almost any example I can think of.

As it is, 11 Oclock is probably the single most improved (ie from studio to live) song in U2's entire history, and they did it in a fairly short time frame, so dismissing it on the grounds that it's studio incarnation is rough is unfair imo.

I don't get that last sentence. Live in almost any song is where U2 takes full flight, where Edge especially shines. I can't imagine a guitarist preferring studio U2 to live U2 in almost any example I can think of.

As it is, 11 Oclock is probably the single most improved (ie from studio to live) song in U2's entire history, and they did it in a fairly short time frame, so dismissing it on the grounds that it's studio incarnation is rough is unfair imo.

So because I pretty much only listen to studio, 11 O' Clock Tick Tock really kinda sucks. I don't care if it massively improved live because I don't listen to any bands live for the most part on disc/mp3. Once in a blue moon I'll listen to How The West Was Won by Led Zeppelin or Under A Blood Red Sky/the live parts of Rattle & Hum. But I very, very rarely listen to bands live unless I'm there.

About the U2 being better with the guitar live than in studio: perhaps this is why I don't like the 90s as much. Because the guitars mostly sounded like shit on the studio recordings. And the studio recordings are what I listen to. :shrug:

Ok, cool, but assuming this is a concious decision, why not open yourself up to the live recordings? There's some really first rate live stuff out there available via torrents and otherwise..

I have to admit I barely listen to studio! I've made compilations of all my favorite live versions of U2 songs, and I pretty much focus on those...

It's essential to listen to live U2. I couldn't imagine listening only to studio recordings.

Songs like Bullet the Blue Sky, Mysterious Ways, Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or Love is Blindness... I basically consider the studio versions of those to be incomplete demos.

That may be well and good if U2 is your favorite band. But they're not mine. They were when I first discovered them, but they haven't been for over a decade. Why would I delve into live stuff for U2 if I don't even do that for my favorite bands? I mean, do you guys stress that casual U2 fans shouldn't listen to classic albums in favor of your favorite live versions of songs?

And if you consider album versions to be demos, good for you. I don't. They're the finished product. They're what was released.

U2 is not my favorite band. I listen to live music of dozens of bands and for most of them I believe my impression of the band wouldn't be as complete and fulfilling if I stuck only to studio versions. But that's just me.

Songs keep evolving. If a song is great in a live setting, I immediately like it even more.

the tourist said:
And if you consider album versions to be demos, good for you. I don't. They're the finished product. They're what was released.

That's the way I am too. The live versions may register with me and may unconsciously influence my decision, but whenever I think of the song, I always think of the studio recording first and foremost.

I think the really baffling bit is that it was already better live when they did that studio version. I guess it might've just been inexperience in the studio?

intedomine said:
whenever I think of the song, I always think of the studio recording first and foremost.

Me too. I don't really listen to U2 that much anymore. I've got all the DVDs and a few bootlegs on my iPod but I don't rush back to them. I'm voting on studio only.

I'm voting on my general impression of a song. That generally means the studio version, but for some, the live versions added so much that it really raises the song in my eyes. 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Bullet the Blue Sky, Hawkmoon 269, etc.

Oh yeah, and Acrobat. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom