Best Song Survivor: Early 80s Miscellaneous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your FAVORITE songs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
In War's final round, Like a Song... was eliminated, leaving New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Drowning Man as War's representatives in the early 1980s quarterfinal, along with Gloria, Tomorrow, The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, and Out of Control.

This round will be a little different than past rounds. Listed is a bunch of early 80s non-album songs (this is the same list that I used for the Rate the Song series). Choose your favorite songs. I would recommend no more than five, but really, it's up to you. The more songs you vote for, the more diluted each vote will be in relative influence. However, the fewer songs you vote for, the less chance you have to advance some songs that you may very well like, even if they're not your favorites. So strategize as you wish. Only the two HIGHEST ranked songs in this round will advance to quarterfinals. Remember that you are voting for your FAVORITE songs here, in a change from how previous rounds operated. This poll will close in 24 hours.

Only voted for the three I really like: Another Day, Endless Deep (I thought this was TUF era??) and Treasure. The others I either don't really like or were infinitely better live.

Only voted for the three I really like: Another Day, Endless Deep (I thought this was TUF era??) and Treasure. The others I either don't really like or were infinitely better live.

Endless Deep was on the THBAO single, actually.

Some great songs here. Touch, Celebration and Endless Deep will get votes from me... Maybe Another Day. Maybe Johnny SwallllloWWW.

Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) has long been my favorite of this group. I also enjoy Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl. Those 2 will be it for me this round.

11OTT is a stone cold U2 classic ... sure, the studio version doesn't capture its full glory, but live it's one of U2's finest songs. Treasure's another big personal favourite.

Also voted for A Celebration and Saturday Night.

Never been a big fan of Party Girl. Live I don't mind it but the studio version is garbage.

And digitize, the list we were working on earlier had Street Mission and The Fool, since they were officially released. How come you cut them from the poll?

Endless Deep is nice but not something I'd rank as a favourite.

11OCTT, Treasure and TraTraParGir. Always loved the studio version of the latter, it's got an unsettling anxiety and looseness that's totally absent in any live version I've heard. Maybe it's something to do with the tired vocals.

you managed to combine a huge exaggeration and an even bigger understatement in about 20 words

Yeah, I know it's far more than a stone cold classic and that the studio version is a disappointment.

I haven't heard most of them, so I voted for the ones I have heard and liked- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Party Girl. The only other one I've heard is A Celebration.

Someday I'm going to take the time to listen to every "micellaneous" U2 songs that weren't officially on albums, and it will be glorious.

Just go to the website YouTube, a site where users have uploaded videos of various things, including songs by musicians, and do a search for "u2 treasure" and click the little magnifying glass at the end of the search box. This will take you to a page displaying the first 15 or so videos related to your search term. Click on one that says "U2 Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop" and let it play, and you will surely want to add it to your votes. It is a great song.

Treasure is a three and a half minute outpouring of U2 at perhaps their most unselfconsciously U2-ish. Absolutely fucking awesome. The fact Bono's clearly not even close to a finished lyric is part of the greatness, and I cannot fathom why it missed out on the War album while Red Light made it. I mean, come on, if 4th of July and Elvis Presley and America could make it onto the next album, Treasure deserved to make an album too! Treasure's the most meticulously written and recorded song by comparison to those two.

It's honestly in my top 15 U2 songs.

Axver said:
And digitize, the list we were working on earlier had Street Mission and The Fool, since they were officially released. How come you cut them from the poll?

The short answer: because I'm an idiot.

The long answer: because I forgot that we had discussed these lists, so I just copied and pasted my list from Rate the Song, which excluded them for some reason (ie, a stupid oversight). I'll re-do this poll if there's mass interest, although I somewhat doubt that will be the case. I am really sorry, though.

Out of curiosity, do you guys ever get tired of bending down to kiss Axver's ass? I recommend some stretching exercises to limber up the mid-section.

11 o' clock, saturday night, a celebration, angels too tied to the ground....

I just can't get myself to vote for Party girl, because the studio version is... well.. shit.

The short answer: because I'm an idiot.

The long answer: because I forgot that we had discussed these lists, so I just copied and pasted my list from Rate the Song, which excluded them for some reason (ie, a stupid oversight). I'll re-do this poll if there's mass interest, although I somewhat doubt that will be the case. I am really sorry, though.

I would've voted for them. Street Missions for the live video alone. Those satin pants. Ohhhh yeaaaaaaahhh

SCHTREEET MISSHUUUUUUUUUUNZZZZ :rockon:

11 O'clock tick tock, endless deep and Treasure for me. A celebration is in my u2 top 10 from time to time, so had to vote for that too.

You were on fire with the first three....then it's like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??!11/!/!?*&Y(&#??

lol

Yeah I don't know what happened, but ever since I first heard that one, I've loved it.

And I don't even own the remasters of the first four albums, lol.

Treasure and A Celebration. I rarely listen to anything live, so 11 O Clock Tick Tock is kinda meh for me. Wish they'd re-recorded it for Boy or October or something.

Back
Top Bottom