Best Song Survivor: Atomic Bomb, Round Eight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
The last round saw a tie that jointly defeated Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own and A Man and a Woman. That leaves just three songs from HTDAAB competing for two slots in the 2000s quarterfinal round. You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

Miracle Drug is among the least offensive songs that I've ever heard, but it's also among the least interesting.

These are probably the top 3 songs on this record, and Miracle Drug actually isn't bad at all, and may even be more interesting than Vertigo (yes, like One, it gets points for being such an important song for them...sorry). There's no doubt Vertigo should move on with COBL, so Miracle Drug it is.

EDIT: I do like the "Beneath the noise Below the din" bit. That's when the song (almost) breaks out. Nice lyrics about science and medicine there also.

I voted Miracle Drug. I don't hate it like others do, but I also think Vertigo is better than others as well. Vertigo was an important song in their careers, and opened them up to an entirely new audience. I am happy with it and COBL going through

/toolazytoretype

Neat, it's a tie. I'm glad that Miracle Drug survived till the top 3, I really am. :love: For me Vertigo can go next round, but I know it won't. Happy MD got as far as it got. Damn. Dat solo.

And Edge on lead vocals is always a bonus, even if it's just the bridge.

I literally haven't heard this album for about five years. I'm guessing MD is the one with a line like "Freedom isn't spent/ like a newborn baby's head". I don't think I'll be listening to this album for the next five years either.

Vertigo and COBL are so overrated around here it is not even funny.

BOTH songs sound forced, almost like they were conciously trying to recreate songs from the past.

Specially COBL, that is so obviously desperate trying to be STREETS.

Streets is transcedental.

COBL is forced and annoying. That keyboard note sequence is as boring as it can be. The drums were really badly recorded, this song goes nowhere.

I know it's unpopular opinion around here and i'm not trying to convince anyone.

Vertigo and COBL are so overrated around here it is not even funny.

BOTH songs sound forced, almost like they were conciously trying to recreate songs from the past.

Specially COBL, that is so obviously desperate trying to be STREETS.

Streets is transcedental.

COBL is forced and annoying. That keyboard note sequence is as boring as it can be. The drums were really badly recorded, this song goes nowhere.

I know it's unpopular opinion around here and i'm not trying to convince anyone.

Actually, I pretty much agree with you generally no convincing needed. I've thoughtfully crossed out that which I disagree with. Anyway, COBL is definitely U2 trying to recreate Streets, that's inarguable, and they sound like they're trying too hard throughout this record.

But COBL doesn't have to be in the same universe as Streets (it's not, few songs are) to still be a pretty great song, which I think it is, despite its derivative nature. Everything is relative, and relatively speaking, I like COBL quite a bit, recognising its limitations. Sure, it would be nice if U2 created something great that was new, rather than trying to recreate former glories. But having said that, I like COBL for what it is, rather than disliking it for what it's not. Soon enough people around here are going to realise that, with very, very few exceptions, 50+ year olds just aren't going to create ground breaking rock music. With or without Danger Mouse.

As for Vertigo, you're probably right, but from what I could see on U23D, it's HUGE in South America. ;)

I love City of Blinding Lights, really. I don't think it sounds like Streets much, though. I know the whole vibe of the massive live song with lots of delay, passionate vocals, and melodic Edge is similar, but I truly don't think they sound musically similar.

As for Vertigo, I do believe that it's a fantastic rock song. Who needs great lyrics? I just have a love for this song.

Miracle Drug is good, but never has done much for me.

Actually, I pretty much agree with you generally no convincing needed. I've thoughtfully crossed out that which I disagree with. Anyway, COBL is definitely U2 trying to recreate Streets, that's inarguable, and they sound like they're trying too hard throughout this record.

But COBL doesn't have to be in the same universe as Streets (it's not, few songs are) to still be a pretty great song, which I think it is, despite its derivative nature. Everything is relative, and relatively speaking, I like COBL quite a bit, recognising its limitations. Sure, it would be nice if U2 created something great that was new, rather than trying to recreate former glories. But having said that, I like COBL for what it is, rather than disliking it for what it's not. Soon enough people around here are going to realise that, with very, very few exceptions, 50+ year olds just aren't going to create ground breaking rock music. With or without Danger Mouse.

As for Vertigo, you're probably right, but from what I could see on U23D, it's HUGE in South America. ;)

Hehe yes, it is. Know why? Cause here ppl favors the energy and rhythm in songs. It is sad, but the days of bossa nova and tropicalia are long long gone. Ppl here like to jump, to shout awfully simple chorus and to shake. Vertigo is perfect for that. It is a "let's stop thinking for a bit and let's act like animals" attitude. It is the attitude dominating south america regarding music with possibly the exception of Argentina and Uruguay. But even ppl in those countries love their share of "jump" music. Ppl love the uhhhh uhhhh bits of Elevation for the same reason. And i can assure you it's really a minority who even understand simple english. I'm sure THAT bit you know. So yea, they are only going for the "uhhh uhhh" parts of songs.

COBL sounds nothing like Streets.

It sounds like Coldplay.

It's about the STRUCTURE of the song.

Of course it sounds nothing like streets. If it sounded it would be wonderful, even if a copy.

The last round saw a tie that jointly defeated Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own and A Man and a Woman. That leaves just three songs from HTDAAB competing for two slots in the 2000s quarterfinal round. You have twenty-four hours to vote against your least favorite song. For anyone just joining us, rules may be found here.

No big deal maybe, since mostly everyone participating knows the drill, but just in case: Shouldn't this say to vote for your least favorite song, not against it. Just in case it confuses anyone just joining. Anyway, not trying to be nitpicky at all, just trying to help. :reject:

I love City of Blinding Lights, really. I don't think it sounds like Streets much, though. I know the whole vibe of the massive live song with lots of delay, passionate vocals, and melodic Edge is similar, but I truly don't think they sound musically similar.

Oh, I don't think the two songs sound that much alike, and I don't think that's what U2 was going for. I think U2 was just trying to recreate the same type of song, with the same kind of vibe. But yeah, you wouldn't mistake COBL for anything on Joshua Tree.

Underwhelming final round for an underwhelming album. COBL's the best here but that's no recommendation. Crumbs or AMAAW would've been much better options than Vertigo, a cookie cutter rock song that was much better when it was called Native Son, or Miracle Drug, a song with an appallingly dull and trite first half, even if its second half is pretty decent.

I don't care which perishes out of Vertigo or Miracle Drug, I don't think either deserves to be top two or even top three, and I don't know which I can be bothered voting for.

Even I admit that COBL is a desperate attempt to make another Streets, but it's still one of my favourites from the decade, and it was always a highlight on 360.

I don't really care what happens in this poll though. This place is a cesspool.

Well, looks like this one is over.

So, what are we all going to vote to eliminate for the first round of NLOTH?

cleazer said:
well, looks like this one is over.

So, what are we all going to vote to eliminate for the first round of nloth?

SUC, definitely.

I might also try to cancel out Cobbler's vote.

Back
Top Bottom