Best Song Survivor: 2004-09 Miscellaneous Round - fixed poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your FAVOURITE song(s).

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm quite surprised how well WITS is doing. I always thought the majority of the people here hated that song. :hmm:

And why does everyone keep taking digs at Ax? :huh: When did he become this forum's punchbag and how did I miss that?

This list doesn't deserve 2 songs in the Semis. Should only be one with the other spot going to another song off of NLOTH. However, voted for Fast Cars and NLOTH2.

I'm quite surprised how well WITS is doing. I always thought the majority of the people here hated that song. :hmm:

And why does everyone keep taking digs at Ax? :huh: When did he become this forum's punchbag and how did I miss that?
I've noticed in my almost four years (wow :huh: lol) of being here that hiding behind a screen and username makes people feel like they have a right to idiots...

For me it's 90% about Adam's work on it, and Larry. The bass is just so unlike anything Adam's played before! And I really like the drums too. The guitar is quite boring yes, but it gives a solid backbone to the song so Adam can play around more. I like the extra vibrate-y guitar bits on it too, you can barely hear them in NLOTH I.

And Bongolese > tongues in ears with moaning

The bass playing and the drumming are the only things I actually enjoy on NLOTH2 but what surprises me is how popular it is on a forum that seems to only think in terms of Bono and Edge most of the time. Bono and Edge really ruin the song for me (that sounds weird :lol:)

I was sad to see Breathe make it and No Line 1 out. This sort of makes up for that poor error. No Line 2 isn't the better of the two, but really we're talking about two Aces here. Fantastic tracks!

No Line 2
Fast Cars
Winter

Thats my vote. In order.

The bass playing and the drumming are the only things I actually enjoy on NLOTH2 but what surprises me is how popular it is on a forum that seems to only think in terms of Bono and Edge most of the time. Bono and Edge really ruin the song for me (that sounds weird :lol:)

I'm a bassist, I care for the rhythm section. :wink:

And I do agree that Edge's not that brilliant on the song, but it somehow fits. He takes a step back and lets the bassman and drummer shine a bit. Bono.. hm, as long as the vocals don't annoy me I'm fine with whatever he mumbles..

Voted Smile , WITS , NLOTH2 , Winter and Fast Cars.
Out of these I hope Fast Cars and Smile make it through.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Here's how I've always pictured the recording of NLOTH2 went down:

:bono: Well, that's song 8798765474 down. I think we almost have enough material to release the album. However, I have to do a thing, so let's push back the release date a few months. Until then, let's do absolutely nothing. Or, better yet, record some b-sides!

:adam: Doing absolutely nothing/recording b-sides sounds good. Why don't we re-re-re-re-re-record one of the old songs, just for the hell of it? All of the fans will think there are only two versions, and they'll like the new one more, just because it's not on the album!

:larry: Record music just because it's fun to do so? Have you gone MAD?

:bono: Which track should we do?

:adam: Ummm...how about No Line On The Horizon?

:bono: That's brilliant! ....may I ask why you chose it?

:adam: Dunno. It was at the top of the list.

:bono: Now I remember why I hired you.

:edge: Let's use this version to hearken back to our roots and re-establish ourselves as a punk rock band.

:bono: So...we're channeling Achtung Baby here?

:edge: Yeah. I played some good riffs on that album. Since the original steals from The Fly, this version can steal from Lady With The Spinning Head!

:bono: Boy, we do spoil our fans, don't we?

Uh LM, you do realise that NLOTH II is actually the original right? And NLOTH I came in the sessions after november 08. I think that was from Q, they said U2 reworked a punky version into a more mellow, scenic UF-esque one.

Uh LM, you do realise that NLOTH II is actually the original right? And NLOTH I came in the sessions after november 08. I think that was from Q, they said U2 reworked a punky version into a more mellow, scenic UF-esque one.

No, it was the other way around. The punky version wasn't even finished when that issue was written. Bono said he was "excited" about it, but it wasn't ready.

Nope. This brings back pre-release debate memories though! Good times.

On a random note, I just noticed that The Saints are Coming hit #51 on the Hot 100. That's crazy. WITS never charted on any Billboard format, which is interesting (it went to #4 in the UK).

On a random note, I just noticed that The Saints are Coming hit #51 on the Hot 100. That's crazy. WITS never charted on any Billboard format, which is interesting (it went to #4 in the UK).

Saints beat Magnificent on Billboard?

:doh:

Are You Gonna Wait Forever? and Window In The Skies.

when I read the thread title I was a bit worried 'Fixed Poll' might mean Ax had fixed it in favour of one of his favourites :wink:

one thing i learned back when i also helped run these survivor series is if something doesn't go someone's way, they blame the creator of the series for fixing it, or having some bias. yes, because the opinions of one person is enough to skew every round.

not to mention those who miss the days (or sometimes weeks) of deliberating over how we vote and what we vote on, yet come around halfway through the series and bitch about why isn't this on here or why is it done this way? it's kind of like people who don't vote in the election then bitch about the president...well why didn't you say something back when you had your chance?

OK, I have a write-in vote from Ashley since she can't get online to vote. It's for AYGWF, Native Son, and Smile, so the final outcome is not changed.

The rest isn't worth it. Why not combine the two Miscellaneous rounds into one big 2000-2009 round?

Afraid NLOTHII was going to lose, Axver? :sexywink:

Seeing as he made the guidelines before any of that was released, I'm doubting this is the case. :rolleyes:

Exactly. The rounds were determined in January before anybody had heard either NLOTH I or II (or even knew 100% what was happening with NLOTH's tracks - the original list gave this round as Miscellaneous 2004-06 plus "any non-album NLOTH tracks"). I thought about merging the 2000s miscellaneous rounds, but that would have created one big round with 21 options. I have said all along that no one round will be that big.

one thing i learned back when i also helped run these survivor series is if something doesn't go someone's way, they blame the creator of the series for fixing it, or having some bias. yes, because the opinions of one person is enough to skew every round.

not to mention those who miss the days (or sometimes weeks) of deliberating over how we vote and what we vote on, yet come around halfway through the series and bitch about why isn't this on here or why is it done this way? it's kind of like people who don't vote in the election then bitch about the president...well why didn't you say something back when you had your chance?

:up: Hit the nail on the head there. My attitude now is that I'll run it my way and anybody who thinks they can do better is welcome to run their own version of the game. I'll change things to correct mistakes (like I altered the 1980s miscellaneous rounds to align with the quarter finals), but not because somebody wasn't around before the game was determined and wants to quibble over the format.

Back
Top Bottom