Best Song Survivor: 1990s Miscellaneous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your FAVORITE songs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Do You Feel Loved felt little love last round. It was eliminated, leaving Mofo, Gone, and Please to represent Pop in the 1990s quarterfinal round.

Now it is time for the 1990s non-album song round. Like previous non-album song rounds, this round works a little differently. Listed are a bunch of 1990s non-album songs. Choose your favorite songs. I would recommend no more than five, but really, it's up to you. The more songs you vote for, the more diluted each vote will be in relative influence. However, the fewer songs you vote for, the less chance you have to advance some songs that you may very well like, even if they're not your favorites. So strategize as you wish. Only the two HIGHEST ranked songs in this round will advance to quarterfinals. Remember that you are voting for your FAVORITE songs here, in a change from how previous rounds operated. This poll will close in 24 hours.

I'm happy to see the "new" ones from the AB reissue here. I think the lyrics to Oh Berlin are fairly bad, but man, I really really love the music.

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Lady With The Spinning Head
Holy Joe
I'm Not Your Baby

Well damn that's a lot to vote for :lol:

LWTSH
Where did it all go wrong
Blow your house down
Heaven and hell
Down all the days
Slow dancing '97
Batman
North and South of the river

It's pretty obvious what two tracks are going through, and I did vote for those two, along with the Willie Nelson version of Slow Dancing, North and South of the River, and Salome.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Sweetest Thing. One of my favourite U2 pop songs.

But this couldn't be closer to the mark:

I'm Not Your Baby is really, really great.

It really, really is. Would've made a fantastic addition to Pop, though as far as I remember it was only finished during the Popmart tour. Sinead O'Connor is just great, the lyrics are great, and Howie B's treatments are great. The Skysplitter Dub that he did is brilliant too.

They quote Rilke, what's not to love?

I like songs with allusions in the lyrics, but it doesn't make the lyrics automatically good.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Sweetest Thing. One of my favourite U2 pop songs.

It probably scored fairly high in the miscellaneous 80s round; a lot of people greatly prefer that version.

Quite a few I would've voted for (especially from the Achtung demos), but I tried to limit it to the 5 recommended. I figured Blow Your House Down and Heaven & Hell were the most interesting out of the batch. At least at the moment anyway.

i'm disappointed Bottoms isn't on the list so I can give it its only vote like someone's done for Viva Davidoff :wink:

but my choices were pretty easy

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Salome
Sweetest Thing

surprised those last two aren't getting more

Alex Descends Into Hell
Heaven and Hell
Down All The Days
HMTMKMKM
Two Shots of Happy
Everybody Loves a Winner

Add a vote to Sweetest Thing for me as well please, digi.

Anyway I think Oh Berlin is extremely overrated. Alex Descends very underrated.

Had to choose between Alex and NASOTR for my 5th choice. I wouldn't have been entirely pleased with either choice; they're equally special to me.

2000s should be interesting for this if the "Songs of Ascent" live tracks are included.

Songs are only eligible if they have an officially released studio version, so that's why live-only songs like Womanfish and unreleased studio songs like Wild Irish Rose aren't in the tournament. So the new live songs from 360 won't be included.

Songs are only eligible if they have an officially released studio version, so that's why live-only songs like Womanfish and unreleased studio songs like Wild Irish Rose aren't in the tournament. So the new live songs from 360 won't be included.

But Soon will be

soon_meme_collection_640_03.jpg

Completely unnecesary round. The 80s were the only decade with non album tracks that matter. I boted for LWTSH though. As it is the basis of 75% of all that rocks on Achtung, but is actually better (though The Fly has 1 of the best Edge solos ever).

My five were:

Lady With the Spinning Head (pretty much one of the best U2 things ever)
Where Did It All Go Wrong? (really under-rated, one of the best Achtung era songs and heaps of fun)
Alex Descends Into Hell (one of the most creative and evocative pieces in U2's catalogue)
HMTMKMKM (can't fucking deny the awesomeness of this track - and if you haven't heard the 31 July 1997, Mannheim performance, get onto that now)
I'm Not Your Baby (was going to just vote for the above four, but I'd forgotten how well-done this track is and how much I like the Skysplitter Dub)

None of the other tracks are really in the same league as those five, though I do rather enjoy Down All the Days and NASOTR. If the verses of Oh Berlin were half as good as the chorus, I'd have thought about voting for it.

But Soon will be

Indeed. Can't wait to see if that inconsequential bit of nothing does better or worse than Viva Davidoff. :lol:

Just 4 for me:

Hold Me Thrill Me - Absolute top of the list
Salome - Fun
Two Shots of Happy - Cool
Sweetest Thing - One of my favorites

I also like these a lot, but not enough to advance: Alex Descends, Heaven and Hell, Slow Dancing and North and South. Maybe even Where Did It All Go Wrong, a little.

LWTSH is okay, but I've never got the massive drooling it causes around here! Huh. And count me on the surprise at the low votes for Sweetest Thing here. Best version by far for me. :hmm: Anyway, HMTMKMKM is one of their finest of all times! :D

I will agree that Sweetest Thing '98 is much better than the scratchy vocals of Sweetest Thing '87. Still, it's a pretty cheesy, trite pop song and I'd prefer U2 stay away from that sort of thing.

I will agree that Sweetest Thing '98 is much better than the scratchy vocals of Sweetest Thing '87. Still, it's a pretty cheesy, trite pop song and I'd prefer U2 stay away from that sort of thing.

Every once in a while, U2 cheese is damn tasty. However I wouldn't want it to be the only thing I could ever eat. :D

Back
Top Bottom