Best Song Survivor: 1990s Miscellaneous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your FAVORITE songs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Songs are only eligible if they have an officially released studio version, so that's why live-only songs like Womanfish and unreleased studio songs like Wild Irish Rose aren't in the tournament. So the new live songs from 360 won't be included.

Aye

Viva Davidoff got a vote! GAF is my fucking hero.

You know, when it comes to voting for U2 songs.

With regards to every other facet of life, maybe not.

Lady With The Spinning Head: great song. Not as good as The Fly and Ultraviolet, but still great :up:
Alex: just love that track, great atmosphere.
Oh Berlin: has some weaker parts, but very dark atmosphere, I like it.
Near The Island: just a piano part, but I dig the mood.
Down All The Days: I don't know if I like this better than Numb, but a really good B-side it is.:up:
Hold me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me: great rocker and one of the first U2 songs I got to know in the mid-nineties.
North And South Of The River: I absolutely adore the version below (Omagh tribute)....
Everybody Love A Winner: just a cover, but the vocals match together very well.

U2 - North and South of the River - YouTube

Glad to see Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad getting some love here.

Hold Me, Kill Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me is the best one here, followed by North and South of the River (because of the beautiful Omagh tribute version) and Lady With the Spinning Head.

It has a pretty well-known chord progression during the chorus too, which is C#m-A-E-B (or something like that). Many songs have used it before and have been pretty popular as singles or with music fans, so that might be another reason there!

I figured it was the solo mostly since it is pretty awesome. I guess I just like the songs that it sounds so much like, a lot more!

I voted for six:

LWTSH
Slow Dancing(original version)
HMTMKMKM
Two Shots
Holy Joe(for the Garage Mix)
Sweetest Thing

Just to be clear, we're talking about the Extended Dance Mix of LWTSH, right?

Assuming we are, I voted for it because it's beautiful, and the last half of it is one of the most dreamlike three minutes U2 has ever put on record imo.

The original Slow Dancing is just a simple, beautiful, country-ish ballad. I love the chorus - "slow dancing, slow-oh-oh dancing, she took me slow-oh, oh-oh, dancing all night long".

HMTMKMKM is a monster.

The Garage Mix of Holy Joe is just really enjoyable, fun rock song. The part where Bono screams 'all mixed up in everybody's life, closer than ever to everybody's wife' is a line that's really fun to sing along to imo. The whole song is.

I think Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad might be one of the best songs Bono ever wrote. It would send perfectly at home being sung by Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra(for whom it was written) or any other jazz/standard singer. Love, love, love it.

Sweetest Thing is catchy as hell and is one of the most effortless pop songs U2 has ever put out, imo. It's really got that JT magic. I've always loved the 98 version too, even if it is much more syrupy than the original(which I also love).

I voted for it because it's beautiful, and the last half of it is one of the most dreamlike three minutes U2 has ever put on record imo.

Sweetest Thing...

I've always loved the 98 version too, even if it is much more syrupy than the original(which I also love).

:up::up:

I'm getting all nostalgic about these songs now. The 90s rocked so much!

Back
Top Bottom