Best Song Survivor: 1990s/2000s Semifinal, Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the worst thing you can do when talking about people of another race is to make any sweeping generalizations about them. You know something like, "All black people with self-respect hate the word 'nigga.'" !

But they pretty much do. Whether you believe that to be true or not is irrelevant.

Plus, I said vast majority, and that is in fact true.

Fwiw the vast majority of black people with a shred of dignity and self respect don't run around calling each other the n word and for the life of me I can't imagine why a white person would ever use it in any context period. When it comes up in what my son tries to pass off as music I shut that shit down pretty quick. And yes, I like Kanye and other artists that even use it. I hate that they do though, it's senseless and the whole empowerment thing is a giant crock of shit according to same large majority of self respecting black people who disapprove.

Sorry cobbler, but if your two black friends don't call you out for using it, they are morons.

And frankly I don't understand why it stands on this board, for the record.

I've seen the light! I'll refrain from ever again daring to sing hip-hop songs to myself, or if a mic is thrust in front of me during Bombs Over Baghdad I'll bleep myself. Thank you, gvox. If only I'd had a father like you

Kind of. They performed a Jackson 5 song for Harry Connick Jr once on a popular Australian variety show

To this day I still think that was an overreaction. It was a very ill-advised skit but they weren't doing a send-up of minstrel shows. They were doing a repeat of the same skit they did in the 80s, a send-up of the Jackson 5, who were black. I think most of them were Indian, too. And if Harry hadn't been there Red would have gonged them out and no one would even remember it.

To this day I still think that was an overreaction. It was a very ill-advised skit but they weren't doing a send-up of minstrel shows. They were doing a repeat of the same skit they did in the 80s, a send-up of the Jackson 5, who were black. I think most of them were Indian, too. And if Harry hadn't been there Red would have gonged them out and no one would even remember it.

Well they won 20 years ago and got gonged out this time around. Three cheers for progress! Hip Hip!

I find the worst thing you can do when talking about people of another race is to make any sweeping generalizations about them. You know something like, "All black people with self-respect hate the word 'nigga.'" But maybe that's just my crazy, young, liberal self saying crazy shit!

I mean, Gabe shouldn't really be speaking for all black folks either.

Where's U2BROTHR when you need him?

But they pretty much do. Whether you believe that to be true or not is irrelevant.

Plus, I said vast majority, and that is in fact true.
When I have questions about black culture, you're the one I turn to. I just wanted you to know that.

I'm not. I've clearly restated that.

Your second sentence/question..I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or if you really are that oblivious.

I have little investment in this conversation, so you can rest assured that I'm kidding around. I mean, the last page has been a bunch of white guys discussing what may or may not offend black guys. My contributions would be just as insightful if I typed them with my face.

On this subject you are being an absolute idiot. And you're just trolling now, and I'm not about bite. Have a good one.
I am being an idiot by calling for you to not make sweeping generalizations about races of people? Give me a break. I wasn't trolling, I was mocking you for taking a silly stand. There are legitimate arguments to be made for the side you're taking, but saying "Everyone who disagrees with me lacks self-respect" is an absolutely asinine statement.

I am being an idiot by calling for you to not make sweeping generalizations about races of people? Give me a break. I wasn't trolling, I was mocking you for taking a silly stand.

1. I did not say everyone

2. It wasn't a sweeping generalization

3. I did not say all

4. I'm very "qualified" (for lack of better way of putting it) to make the statement I did.

5. Real life is not represented by what mainstream rap or even the media portrays things as.

Know what I like to do, you guys? whenever 'nigga' comes up in a rap song I'm singing, I substitute 'honky' and hilarity ensues

That reminds me of a thread long ago where someone substituted the word Days in Some Days Are Better Than Others for another word starting with the D.... :wink:

Fwiw the vast majority of black people with a shred of dignity and self respect don't run around calling each other the n word and for the life of me I can't imagine why a white person would ever use it in any context period. When it comes up in what my son tries to pass off as music I shut that shit down pretty quick. And yes, I like Kanye and other artists that even use it. I hate that they do though, it's senseless and the whole empowerment thing is a giant crock of shit according to same large majority of self respecting black people who disapprove.

Sorry cobbler, but if your two black friends don't call you out for using it, they are morons.
1. I did not say everyone

2. It wasn't a sweeping generalization

3. I did not say all

4. I'm very "qualified" (for lack of better way of putting it) to make the statement I did.

5. Real life is not represented by what mainstream rap or even the media portrays things as.
Look, you're majorly splitting hairs here now. What is an exception from the vast majority, if I might ask? Because as it stands right now, it really only seems to be "the vast majority" and not "everyone" as an excuse for you to not have to be accountable for your view.

And it is a generalization, whether you will admit that's true or not.

What exactly makes you any more qualified than me or someone else?

And to your fifth statement, that infers that I posited any such idea in the first place and is very condescending.

Because as it stands right now, it really only seems to be "the vast majority" and not "everyone" as an excuse for you to not have to be accountable for your view.

And it is a generalization, whether you will admit that's true or not.

Held accountable for my view? By who, you? Excuse me while I stifle a laugh.

There's a pretty big difference between "all" and "vast majority".

It's not a generalization. It's a fact. And it's also a fact that same said majority hates it when white people use the word. I stand by my statement 100% and instead of always arguing, you should learn to listen for a change. You might actually learn something.

And tourist, shut it and mind your own business. What are you, the cheering section? Good grief.

Held accountable for my view? By who, you? Excuse me while I stifle a laugh.

There's a pretty big difference between "all" and "vast majority".

It's not a generalization. It's a fact. And it's also a fact that same said majority hates it when white people use the word. I stand by my statement 100% and instead of always arguing, you should learn to listen for a change. You might actually learn something.

And tourist, shut it and mind your own business. What are you, the cheering section? Good grief.

He's just putting things more eloquently than I could.

Prove your facts please. Because otherwise, it's simply hyperbole based on nothing but what a white guy thinks.

He's just putting things more eloquently than I could.

Prove your facts please. Because otherwise, it's simply hyperbole based on nothing but what a white guy thinks.

Are you this stupid? How about a lifetime of wide ranging personal experience, most of which was lived before these kids were even lustful thoughts? Lmao!! How about the commentary of normal black people who have discussed this to no end? Even a Google search?

Prove what i know to be true? No. You disprove what I said. I dare you to try. The fact that you are even arguing this says alot.

Okay, so you're speaking on a "vast majority" of the worldwide black population (which is probably close to a billion people!) due to anecdote. Your personal interaction with a very, very, very, microscopically tiny amount of the "vast majority" you, a white man (?) speak for. Good luck with that. Good luck indeed.

But you're right. I'm obviously the stupid one here.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: <- I can do that too.

Anyway, you're the one who postulated something. The burden of proof is on you to back up your postulation.

But hey! Way to defer backing up what you say. It's cute.

It's nice to know we can all discuss things in a civil, level-headed manner. It'd be a shame if we had to resort to condescension and insults.

[/thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom