Best Song Survivor: 1980s Semifinal Round Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So one person makes a mistake in one round out of a billion and Von Schloopy makes an issue about it. Do you have nothing better to do whenever you're on Interference than to bitch about a game format? You really are getting tiresome.

(Like I've said before - and just posted over in B&C on the Cure Survivor thread - we'll be doing the vote-for-your-favourites consensus version for U2 again soon anyway.)

So one person makes a mistake in one round out of a billion and Von Schloopy makes an issue about it. Do you have nothing better to do whenever you're on Interference than to bitch about a game format? You really are getting tiresome.

(Like I've said before - and just posted over in B&C on the Cure Survivor thread - we'll be doing the vote-for-your-favourites consensus version for U2 again soon anyway.)

awesome.

No it's not over the top. It's simply the way I see it. I'll leave it at that. Shut me up if you must.

My least favourite is One Tree Hill.

Wow, a song about a dead friend is a "miserable, whinging sod". Stay classy, Schloopy.

I'd like to think that I'm not breaking any rules either. Don't see how calling someone a sod is anymore personally offensive than calling out someone's behaviour as "tiresome". Bit precious to be disciplining someone for using the insignificant word "sod", of all things!

Enough with it.

Sods of dirt everywhere are very offended that their descriptive word is "insignificant" according to you, inte! I think you need to be sternly reprimanded.

Wow, a song about a dead friend is a "miserable, whinging sod". Stay classy, Schloopy.

Wow. Calling an actual person a "miserable, whinging sod" didn't marshal your defense.

But calling a song did.

Stay classy Axver.

I'd like to think that I'm not breaking any rules either. Don't see how calling someone a sod is anymore personally offensive than calling out someone's behaviour as "tiresome". Bit precious to be disciplining someone for using the insignificant word "sod", of all things!

Enough with it.
you're digging yourself a bigger hole here. i'm not going to argue with you what is and isn't considered against the rules. just stop.

Shut me up if you must.

david_tennant_as_hamlet_photo_royal_shakespeare_co_489a6d2103.jpg

Wow. Calling an actual person a "miserable, whinging sod" didn't marshal your defense.

But calling a song did.

Stay classy Axver.

Well given your attitude lately on the Survivor threads, I found it hard to disagree with inte's call. I didn't previously think that about you, but you've turned into a bit of a self-parody on these threads.

But whatever, if it gets you off, keep having the easiest chain to yank on the forum. We don't even need to do anything beyond having a light-hearted tournament for you to get riled up! I find it amusing to sling posts back and forth with you, to be honest.

survivor!

oh no! Someone misinterpreted the rules! Let's throw out the premise of the word survivor! In fact, let's just have a U2 masturbation session where all songs get equally praised despite the fact that some are absolute shit. Or hey, maybe you can run your own fucking game and see how many people participate. Bet it'll be less.

Kisses.

Van Schmuck is just a miserable, whinging sod. Best ignored.

I would really appreciate it if name-calling stayed out of this thread.

VS... your concerns have some validity. No song-rating mechanism is perfect. Why do we choose this over a system of voting for favorites? Well, mainly, because this is more enjoyable. A favorites-voting system would last for a very short amount of time, and have its winners chosen at the beginning of rounds, making them less interesting. More importantly, though, this system allows the opportunity for every song in U2's history to be evaluated. As every song except for one will be voted off eventually, we have to think about (and maybe even listen to!) all of them. In a system of voting for favorites, songs that are good but just not strong enough to make it to quarterfinals from their respective albums (songs like, in my opinion, Promenade, Wire, and Indian Summer Sky) would just be ignored as we voted up ASOH, Pride, TUF, and Bad without much consideration.

But this system has its drawbacks, of course. The biggest, in my opinion, is the album seeding. Some songs may be unfairly be hurt because of it. However, I think Axver and I have done a fairly good job of minimizing that issue in this Survivor. And it would be much worse if October and Achtung Baby both seeded the same number of songs. Rate the Song didn't have that problem, but it had its own drawbacks... namely, that coming up with a consistent scale for what the numbers zero through ten meant and applying it without deviation is really, really difficult for humans. I certainly utterly failed, despite setting out with good intentions. As much as I like Zooropa, I think that its second-place placement was an artifact of that. A voting for favorites system may have less negativity, but, in theory, it should return the same results as this, and it has the issues that I described above.

So the moral of the story is that no system is perfect, and it's good to have a diverse selection of them when actual news from U2 is limited (err... near zero). You can run your own system, although Axver said that he'll be running one like what you've been wanting. Your concerns are valid, but I do wish that you would complain about them a little less. You are not required to participate. I do not think that my threads are difficult to ignore, and the results need not have any validity in your mind.

Back
Top Bottom