Best Song Survivor: 1980s Semi Final I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your LEAST FAVOURITE song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SBS, Pride, and Gloria all deserve to leave pretty quickly. Of those three, SBS is the most annoying, but Gloria is probably the weakest overall, so it gets my vote.

Pride is leading the voting?!? this is studio versions people. just because we have heard it 10,000 times does not mean we need to prove we are a "true U2 fan" by trying to move on the lesser known songs and eliminate the over-played songs that those "bandwagon" fans know.

I wouldn't be disappointed with SBS leaving but Pride is an absolute anthem with a classic theme and great lyrics. Out of Control sounds like a garage band in comparison.

Out of Control is by far the weakest track remaining. It's not even close. Pride is way better than it. I mean, seriously, come on guys.

It's down to Gloria and Out of Control for me, can't believe how people think they're better songs than Pride and/or Sunday Bloody Sunday. Both Gloria and Out of Control are superior live than their respective album versions, but I'll go for Gloria in this instance.

Pride is leading the voting?!? this is studio versions people. just because we have heard it 10,000 times does not mean we need to prove we are a "true U2 fan" by trying to move on the lesser known songs and eliminate the over-played songs that those "bandwagon" fans know.

I wouldn't be disappointed with SBS leaving but Pride is an absolute anthem with a classic theme and great lyrics. Out of Control sounds like a garage band in comparison.

Totally agree :up::up:

I'm surprised by these numbers. Pride is one of the few songs in U2's catalog that actually sounds better in its original studio form vs. live, yet it's leading the way here. Strange.

And Sunday Bloody Sunday doesn't deserve this quick of an exit, either.

It probably won't matter, but I'll go with the song that deserves to leave first.

Out Of Control.

i honestly don't get all the pride votes either. hopefully everyone knows we're voting solely on the studio versions, riiiiight? just cuz it sucks live and is played too often...

Pride and SBS shouldn't even be considered in the same league. Pride is one of U2's greatest, definitive studio moments. You don't nail a song like that often - as the piss-weak live versions surely prove. SBS, on the other hand ... it's clearly a good song and important in U2's career, but even with the remaster, I think the studio version lacks a bit of punch and spark compared to the other eleven tracks here. Plus I think the violin is superfluous to requirements.

Since Gloria and Out Of Control are the weakest, I'll vote Gloria since it has a chance of catching the leaders.

Oh, and Pride "winning" this thing is a fucking joke. You know, one of those not-so-funny ones.

Voting for Gloria is a fucking joke. But you don't see me commenting on that......until just now.

What's aggravating is that people are so clearly letting live versions influence the voting....not just in the votes for Pride but the fact that Electric Co. is even sitting pretty. Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY on this forum ever bothered to bring up that song until the Vertigo Tour. Fact. Had this polling been done before the '05 tour, that song never would have advanced. Even if it had, it would be slaughtered right now with a huge chunk of the vote...

Honestly, who in their right mind associates Electric Co. as being more of a classic than Pride? C'mon. Although, we do need to keep in mind that polls like this one with a lot of options means a small minority can really affect things. 20% of the fans here being tired of Pride or whatever doesn't bother me as much in that respect since the other 80% can adore it...but Electric Co. only receiving 6 2/3% against these absolute masterpieces?

What's aggravating is that people are so clearly letting live versions influence the voting....not just in the votes for Pride but the fact that Electric Co. is even sitting pretty. Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY on this forum ever bothered to bring up that song until the Vertigo Tour. Fact. Had this polling been done before the '05 tour, that song never would have advanced. Even if it had, it would be slaughtered right now with a huge chunk of the vote...
not a single person? fact? i'd love to see these posts (or lack thereof, i suppose) where nobody, i repeat, nobody on here gave the song the time of day until the vertigo tour. why does it even matter?

Honestly, who in their right mind associates Electric Co. as being more of a classic than Pride? C'mon. Although, we do need to keep in mind that polls like this one with a lot of options means a small minority can really affect things. 20% of the fans here being tired of Pride or whatever doesn't bother me as much in that respect since the other 80% can adore it...but Electric Co. only receiving 6 2/3% against these absolute masterpieces?

Even back then I would've voted out Gloria and Out of Control ahead of The Electric Co. :shrug:

But yes, people are letting live versions alter their voting.

not a single person? fact? i'd love to see these posts (or lack thereof, i suppose) where nobody, i repeat, nobody on here gave the song the time of day until the vertigo tour. why does it even matter?

1) It was brought up like any other song, but not with the fanaticism that it receives now. Hell, I'll admit that I thought the end of the Boy album was pretty dull until the live version on the last tour revitalized my interest in it. I'm able to at least step aside though and say "well, Pride is boring live, but the studio mix is a U2 masterpiece and Electric Co is just some album track."

2) It doesn't really matter. It's just a game and people can vote in whatever way they choose. I'm just pointing out that biases in the touring of these songs has altered things greatly.

3) And the "fact" business is me attempting to pull a Fox News. ;)

This has been done before the Vertigo Tour, and Electric Co still did well. It's a classic song, not to all the casuals, but to the rest of us, and it would still be kicking ass in these polls.

Back
Top Bottom