Best Song Since The Hay Days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobH

The Fly
Open for debate:
U2's best song since Achtung Baby is...

Crumbs From Your Table

It's the most grand, the most anthemic, the song that's sounds better the louder you play it.

Nothing from Zooropa (which I like), Pop (which sucks), or All That You Can't Leave Behind (which was vastly overrated) even comes close. Let the arguing begin.

Crumbs is awesome, as is HTDAAB

I've loved that song since I first got the CD. Others took a while to grow on me. Now I do think HTDAAB is their best album, which will surely start arguments (not meant to, just my opinion), and while most of U2's albums start of with 3-5 strong songs only to fade somewhat (except for AB), it's songs like Crumbs that keep HTDAAB going strong from start to finish. AB has it all, with a good theme, mood, and set of songs. HTDAAB has the ultimate collection of songs, though.

Last edited:
I love Crumbs and I can't believe how many people leave it out of their setlist predictions for this tour. This song is going to sound incredible live! I think it's going to be a better live song than City of Blinding Lights which many people seem to prefer.

But I have to disagree about Pop. Gone is an anthemic song that also sounds great live. Same with Please.

IMO, the best song since Achtung Baby is Gone. Very closely followed by City of Blinding Lights.

Crumbs is a wonderful song, though. It's in my top three from HTDAAB.

Please

I wish and hope they play this on tour.

"so love is big/hard
and love is tough
but love is not
what you're thinking of"

"Love is big
bigger than us
but love is not
what you're thinking of"

"get up off your knees now please, leave me out of this please"

"it's what lovers deal
it's what lovers steal
you know I found it hard to recieve
'cause you my love
I could never believe"

This is probably top 10 or 15 of their entire career.

Good song - but to dismiss POP like that is just absurd...with songs like Wake Up Dead Man, Please and especially GONE you just can't say that and remain credible.

oh yeah, best song album/song since acthung. this isn;t like every album bydavid bowie was his "best since scary monsters" stuff. you canjot skip over the last 3 albums. yea crumbs is great, best song since ATYCLB, casue apprently atchung baby is a song now.

Please is one of U2's best songs ever written and performed live. I was so proud to see Please played live. That for me was a very U2 moment. There has been a ton of great songs written by U2 since AB:

Please
Gone
Mofo
Stay
Zooropa
City of Blinding Lights
Crumbs
Yawehh
In A Little While
etc.....

Last edited:
Sometimes has taken over from One for me the title of best song. It really pushes the envelope of what a song can do.

I think sometimes is great, but I don´t like the part where it´s about to go off, and then slows down for one more verse before it really goes off... I think in Brooklyn they skipped that, and Sometimes got even better....

My favourite song since AB is probably Kite, mostly for the very strong lyrics and the great "I´m a maaaan"-bridge...

But there are so many great. I´ve actually started liking If God Will Send His Angels lately, it´s great played in a high volume. Gone is also great from pop.

Electrical Storm really rocks in the stripped version, and who can actually not love Beautiful Day in a sunny day?

And then the last album. Vertigo still rocks after 40 000-something iPod-commercials, that luckily didn´t get any airtime in my country, cause we don´t have iTunes. Miracle Drug is probably one of the greates ever. Sometimes, Love & Peace, COBL.... I think the only one that I don´t like that much from HTDAAB now is All Because of You...

I guess I just figured out that I´m a big fan! Just can´t stop finding great songs... Sorry for this long post, but what can I do, being a fan of the greatest band in the world?

(btw, if anyone wants a tip on a forgotten great track, I recommend "I Fall Down" from October...)

I can't believe you even consider Crumbs, when after-achtungbaby era is full of masterpieces.
I just can't pick my favourite, but it's silly to dismiss all the albums exept Bomb...:eyebrow:
Great songs are: Zooropa, Lemon (I reckon Lemon is better than any A-Bomb song, IMO), Stay (!!!), Numb is also great, new, experimental!, Discoteque (the only place to have the Boom-Cha's :wink: ), Mofo (no comment is needed), IGWSHA, Please, Gone, Beautiful Day (one of my top something songs, best zplifting song I've ever heard), Walk On (meaning, lyrics), Kite...
From the new album I hardly put any song in this category, maybe just Sometimes... even though I don't like it so much, but it's a good piece of music/lyrics...

Oh, and MERCY! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hard to say, Stay, Kite and Sometimes are top 3 IMO. Currently, Sometimes is in the lead for me.

Sometimes is the only true masterpiece from the new album, infact from the last two albums really. This isn't a slating at all I like a lot of stuff from both ATYCLB and HTDAAB but Sometimes has the magic, the magic I hadn't heard really since One and so is my favourite U2 song since AB.

Using the term "hay days" (or hey days) is a bit subjective. After all, the PopMart tour is still U2's best selling tour to date, ATYCLB not only sold ~12M albums worldwide (including an impressive 4.2M in the U.S.) but won a whopping 7 Grammy awards (one album doubled the amount of Grammy awards U2 had won to date), and HTDAAB has been one of their fastest selling albums ever (certainly in the SoundScan era).

If you mean best song since AB, then there are also issues. Do you mean my personal favorite or the song that had the most overall impact on society (that is, a song that people now recognize and associate to U2)? If the latter, the song is "Beautiful Day". Everyone knows that as U2 song and it has become as engraved in the public's mind as much as "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "With or Without You", "Streets...", "One" and "Mysterious Ways". However, if you mean my personal favorite, then I'd say CoBL. Something about that song really gets me going - I just love it.

You're wrong, what about LEMON, STAY, NUMB, WANDERER, DISCOTEQUE, MOFO, GONE, STARING AT THE SUN, PLEASE, WALK ON, KITE
Crumbs is so lame, i can't explain it to you.
Let me tell you some lyrics:
I will if i was able
But i'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

Rhyme is like turbo folk, or Britney Spears. After table is a pause like he's satisfied with what he has done. Like he can take a deep breath and relax. No, it's not that good.

GONE is my favourite.

Find it hard to believe there are so many of you willing to go to bat for the lame era. Forget tour receipts, album sales, and which lite FM stations play "Beautiful Day" for the 12, 478th time. The mid 90's to early 21st century was a down time for the band. And by the way, let's be clear on a few things. Obviously, I know that Acthung Baby was an album, not a song. Most of you got that point I was making, that EVERYTHING on Acthung Baby was better, in my opinion, than ANYTHING since. And I do stand corrected, it is "hey days". And I did make it clear that I liked Zooropa--just not as much as anything before that. Simply from an anecdotal standpoint--in other words no surveys, research, or fact finding missions--I am not alone in my opinion. Plenty of us who grew up at a time that I would consider prime "U2 Generation" (I'm 37 years old) think that the 1994-2003 suff was substandard. Members of the band themselves have admitted as such. And we're not old geezers that only want to hear "Gloria" and "Party Girl". I think some people are so blinded with love for a band (or anything, really) that they are unwilling to see that there are creative highs and lows. U2 has come back with a very strong album this time around. It's their best since Achtung Baby, and Crumbs From Your Table is the best example of the music that has made U2 great--anthemic melody, lyrics with a message, and a ringing guitar. But of course, opinions vary. That's what makes these forums so entertaining.

But isn't Axver the one who rates Achtung Baby as their 7th favorite?

Ax...If it's not you I appologize....I'm not very good with names.:wink:

Crumbs is nice. I never skip it. Though i don't like the synth(?) counter melody...makes the song sound too much like Tears for Fears.

For a great combination of vision, melody, rawk, experimentation, lyrics, AND emotion, MOFO kicks ass. Hey, U2, more songs like that, please.

Back
Top Bottom