Best Song Since The Hay Days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, Pero: Not sure if you actually understand English, but you and xver make a nice couple.:ohmy:

Lancemc said:
But isn't Axver the one who rates Achtung Baby as their 7th favorite?

Ax...If it's not you I appologize....I'm not very good with names.:wink:

Yeah, I'm the one who doesn't include Achtung in my top six. I guess it would come in seventh, but I haven't really sorted out the order below #6.

Not even sure who Axver is, but Pero said he caled me an idiot.

No, Pero called you an ideot. Axver called someone else an ideot, and pero quoted him.

Ideot.:wink:

Right...because Pero says that I said Achtung Baby sucks, which if you lok at the transcripts, is completely the oposite of what I said. Which is why I question his English skills.

Not surprised I agree with Rob H

Age, timing, different generations of fans often seem to like/dislike some of the same things from U2. I too jumped from AB as their best album straight to HTDAAB & subsequently Crumbs, simply because I love that song, and always have.

As for POP, it was not an album I put in heavy rotation, but everything changed after actually seeing the POPMART show in Clemson, getting the POPHEART live EP, and then getting POPMART from Mexico City LP and Video. Please + Streets has to be one of the best one-two punches ever, and I liked POP more after seeing the songs really come alive on tour.

ATYCLB got all the grammies, yes, and it was in my rotation, but mainly due to BD, Walk-On, and Kite. Elevation and Stuck faded out for me, if nothing else than for the videos, while In a Little While and New York became standouts for me personally after seeing several Elevation Concerts.

I won't be seeing the Vertigo Tour due to having my 2nd back surgery in 3 weeks just a few days ago. My point is simple...HTDAAB has been the most played U2 LP, for me personally, since AB, and while that's not meant to take anything away from the songs and music made in between albums, that's just the way it is for me. Calling someone an idiot for having a legitimate opinion is not worth responding to (I'm 37 as well, which is why I draw some correlations between different generations, ages, and U2 eras for some folks at the start of this thread).

I accidentally posted this by itself...

saltines17,

It's a four song live collection from U2 at Rotterdam in 1997 or 1998...and it ROCKS! Starts with an amazing version of Please live, fades into an unbelievable Streets Launch, then WOWY, and finishes with live Staring at the Sun. Kind of like the Wide Awake in America EP. Should still be able to find it.

Re: I accidentally posted this by itself...

beLIEve said:
saltines17,

It's a four song live collection from U2 at Rotterdam in 1997 or 1998...and it ROCKS! Starts with an amazing version of Please live, fades into an unbelievable Streets Launch, then WOWY, and finishes with live Staring at the Sun. Kind of like the Wide Awake in America EP. Should still be able to find it.

Ohhh, that sounds like the Please single on iTunes. Yeah, it is good :up:

One of these days I should get the Popmart video.. I tried to get it from an Amazon.com seller, but it became backordered, so I cancelled. :-( too bad. But I did get ZooTV from Sydney, and oh man is that good.

I was so excited to see Lemon performed live, ha. Other than their cutting out of a verse, it's awesome

There have been plenty of good songs since Atchung Baby, too many to name, in fact. I'm surpised all that you can't leave behind takes such a beating on this board, it's a very top heavy album, but I think it's one of U2's better albums.

I would agree that Crumbs is awesome, but I would also have to say there are at least 25 other songs b/w Achtung Baby and HTDAAB that I would give the same description to (Discotheque included:drool: ). You will never get me to say that Zooropa, Pop, or ATYCLB were 'disappointing', even by using lethal force :wink: .

For me, Miracle Drug is not only the best song since AB, it's my favorite U2 song of all-time. It conveys an even greater warmth and sense of beauty into my heart than Streets, One, Bad, etc. It's like Bono is putting his arms around the listener and giving him/her a great big hug.

When it's all good, then it's very hard to rank...

For me, it's really a lose-lose situation to rank albums and songs, even though I have plenty of posts along those lines. It's like I've grown up with the band, and each album, and in different ways, each tour, has been amazing.

Right now Crumbs is getting repeated play in my CD changer. That "top song" has changed 100 times, just like my "top album". I remember trying SO HARD to get the Numb Industrial Remix after seeing it on the short "Numb video tape" because I was really into that song at the time.

So when you have every U2 album (all legal, half illegal), have a huge collection of videos, mp3.s, concert footage (about the same ratio), and U2 is the only band I ever listen to is U2 (sans the still occassional Pink Floyd night), who am I to really argue about the best song or album?

So, I'm plugging Crumbs, but I've posted more stuff about BD than any other song ever. I've obviously bought everything and more that's ever been made by U2, so by definition I'm a fanatic, which is why I'll never have an objective opinion of U2 at any given time. Tomorrow it could be Kite. Sunday it will be Please.

Cheers,

beLIEve

Last edited:
hey days. a term i don;t apply easily to u2. their are bands that have obvious hay days. van halen's hayday is way over. it ended after 1995. crosby stills and nash 's heyday ended after the 60's. the stones ended after 1981. (they had hits after, but don;t equal before that, they were good , not great after 1981). rem's heyday ended after 1996. u2's day is clearly not over. Still too relivlent, too popular too strong. Some will, like this guy will say thier hayday ended after AB. but just as many people will say he;s wrong. And some will say mabey thier hayday was in the 80's. And thiers alot of people will say thier wrong. i say thier still in a hayday, ok this guys says no. But alot of people say they are, soem donlt etc. the fact this aurgument can take place is the greatest proof that thier hayday is not over. take van halen. NO ONE, is saying thier still in thier hayday. after thier horrible 1998 album, and the botched roth reunions, and eddies less then perfect playing in 2003/04, even the the hardcore fans know van halen has past thier prime. When it comes to u2, the fact thiers this many fans having these kinda discussion is proof u2's still matters. Cause when it comes to other bands, thiers no discussions, those bands primes are over. pop is a disspointment but on a u2 level, any other old band would kill for a decent tour a platium album and a gold single.

When I read heydays, I somehow thought early eighties, not that I think their heydays are in the past. For the ‘stones this clearly refers to pre 1966, for Van Halen it's pre 1986, but U2 still have some fire left in them, anyway...

If you take it from there, New Year's Day clearly tops anything up to and including Unforgettable Fire (yes also better than bad,pride and electric co)
JT adds BTBS, Streets,Exit and perhaps WOWY and One tree hill to the mix. R&H's peak is probably God pt.II, but Love rescue me, Desire and When Love comes to town are also pretty damn good, not better than NYD though.

Even so, the first post of this threads slags off Pop and mentions AB as their heydays, AB is a very well balanced album, to me the high points are UTEOTW and Acrobat;
Zooropa: title plus Stay
Pop: Do you feel Loved and Last night (How come no-one mentions these?)
ATYCLB: title song plus NY.

So now we have, in some kind of order, grouped by "feel":

NYD/Do you feel loved/BTBS/Desire
Acrobat/Bad/WOWY/Stay/ATYCLB
God2/Last night/UTEOTW/Exit
Lovetown/Pride/LRM/Please
El co./Gone/Zooropa/NY/Streets/One Tree hill

I personally think HTDAAB is too fresh to fully judge or appreciate, but Miracle Drug, Love&peace or else and SYCMIOYO seem destined to ascend to the ranks of classics, Yahweh has a chance if they take it to another level live.

I'm not sure of Crumbs, why is everybody in this thread so taken by this song, surely it can't compete with any of the abovementioned 20+ tracks?

Finally, I would like to answer the question: best since the heydays is either
BTBS (if the definition of heydays is early 80s)
Do you feel loved (if AB=heydays)
or Love&peace or else (if pop/ATYCLB= commerical heydays)

Best songs since AB:

Zooropa
Stay
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Gone
Please
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else

Best song since AB? What a tough question. I might have to go with SYCMIOYO...with honorable mention to the following:

Do you feel loved?
Staring at the sun
Beautiful day
Walk On

The three best songs after Achtung Baby are

1. Beautiful Day
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes you can't make it on your own

City of blinding lights, Please, Wake up dead man, If you wear that velvet dress, Gone, Love and peace or else, The hands that built America, Mofo, Original of the species, New York, ...

Re: Not surprised I agree with Rob H

Stay
Mofo
Gone
Do you Feel Loved
Kite
Miracle Drug
Original of the Species

beLIEve said:
the POPHEART live EP
I got it and love it.

These are the covers:
sing041-02.jpg
sing041-12.jpg

Mercy.

Easily.

Oh, and this album, called Pop. The best album ever created by anyone, ever, in my horribly biased opinion :p (but when are opinions not biased anyway?)

Just to name some there's:
Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, SOmetimes , Beautiful Day, Stuck, Walk On, Elevation, Discothque, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Last night on Earth, Zooropa, Lemon, Numb

Back
Top Bottom