best selling album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
Hey people!

I was wondering. Does anyone know how many copies have been sold of the different U2's albums? And what's the best-selling? (I guess Achtung Baby?)
Maybe you talked about this before, but I haven't visited the site for quite a while, you know.

I'd like to know. Grtz, PAscal.

It's nopt where you're born, it's where you belong.

Hi :wave:

You will want to visit:

Peeling off those Dollar Bills
The business side of U2: All the info you ever wanted to know about the sales and success on music charts of U2's albums around the world.

There, you will find U2 sales afficianados who know all there is to know!

Simply scroll down on the main Forum index to find the forum. :)

Here are some rough numbers, based on numbers I have run across on the web the past couple of years.

Boy: 2.5 million
October: 2.4 million
War: 6.6 million
Under A Blood Red Sky: 7.6 million
The Unforgettable Fire: 6.3 million
The Joshua Tree: 16 million
Rattle and Hum: 9.3 million
Achtung Baby: 12 million
Zooropa: 6.2 million
Pop: 7 million
Best Of 1980-1990: 10.2 million
All That You Can't Leave Behind: 13 million (unsure?)

Maybe someone can verify these numbers, but most of them should be fairly close.

Foxxern said:
Here are some rough numbers, based on numbers I have run across on the web the past couple of years.

Boy: 2.5 million
October: 2.4 million
War: 6.6 million
Under A Blood Red Sky: 7.6 million
The Unforgettable Fire: 6.3 million
The Joshua Tree: 16 million
Rattle and Hum: 9.3 million
Achtung Baby: 12 million
Zooropa: 6.2 million
Pop: 7 million
Best Of 1980-1990: 10.2 million
All That You Can't Leave Behind: 13 million (unsure?)

Maybe someone can verify these numbers, but most of them should be fairly close.

I could be wrong, but I think POP was their lowest selling album since October. Am I wrong? Anyone know for sure?

Seconds said:

I could be wrong, but I think POP was their lowest selling album since October. Am I wrong? Anyone know for sure?

The numbers follower reported are, I think, quite accurate, although some of them are quite dated. Most of that information is from Polygram's New Zealand office just before Pop was released. A more thorough analysis of U2's sales can be found in this thread: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57204

As such, all sales reported excluding The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are from 1997. STING2 has kept track of sales of ATYCLB and he makes an estimated guess of more than 11 million copies sold (so the 13 million is not entirely correct, but it's close). The album is certified for 4 million sales in Europe and has crossed the 4 million barrier in the USA recently (although it isn't certified yet).
A recent article about TBO1980-1990 reported that it had sold 16 million copies worldwide. I'm not quite sure about that figure. It has sold more than 6 million copies in Europe, however, and both the single disc as the double disc version are certified double platinum in the USA (so it will most likely be reported as 4 million sales), which already adds to 10 million copies sold in Europe and the USA.

Giving these figures, Pop has definately sold more than October but it's not clear if it has sold more than Zooropa or The Unforgettable Fire (as those reported sales figures are older than the reported figure of Pop).

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom