Best quote by The Edge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
without a doubt the speech he made accepting the Grammys they won for Achtung Baby (I think.)

It had something to do with the Orgasmatron...

Here's one of my favorites...

"At the beginning the idea of wearing sunglasses in an interview seemed kind of stupid. Now we realize that the fact is not whether you're wearing sunglasses that's important, it's what kind of sunglasses you're wearing."

I also liked his speech from the Ivor Novellos...

?I thought it would be a good opportunity to announce today that I?d like to alter the songwriting credits. I?d like it to read God, Friendship, My Mother, Ambition?Being in a band is a remarkable thing and it?s very humbling. I look back over the years and think I haven?t written one song on my own. If it wasn?t for these guys, I wouldn?t have really amounted to much.?

-When asked what he does when he returns home after a tour: "I have a terrible habit of finding really unimportant, trivial, manual things to do. I'll go mow the lawn, or find some piece of furniture that needs varnishing, or...paint the cat."

-"They [U2's parents] are still waiting for us to get proper jobs. I mean its kinda like 'Well you were lucky this time, but when are you gonna go back to school and become a doctor?'"

-"I'm still very nervous about the 'christian' label. I have no trouble with Christ, but I have trouble with alot of christians."

"It's a very unusual thing to be in a band like this. It's all very well being in a street gang when you're 16, but it's bloody weird when you're 32."

Here's the 2001 Grammy speech
"Wow, wow. Um, well on a personal level this century has been going so well for us. We finished our album, I had a little baby boy a little while ago. (crowd applauds) The Jubilee 2000 work has been incredible. Just everything is going great. Theres been also some really great breakthroughs in science. The disposable mobile phone has come through, the three-blade razor, and now the female orgazmatron which.......(crowd cheers) is great ('He doesn't need that i don't think.' - Bono) uh no....(laughs) anyway... and now this. Listen thanks everybody. Our record company has been incredible, our management have been incredible, our producers....amazing. Thank You."

Joshua Tree grammy speech
"Well, we seem to have lost our bass player, he went to the loo a couple of minutes ago and he still isn't back yet (spots Adam in the back) Oh Adam! This way! (motions for Adam to come onstage) Here he comes. I dunno about you but I'm still recovering from Whitney Houston. Ok. Ive a bit of a list here I'd like to read out its just a few people we thought we should thank. Umm, I've got to be careful with this list its got the boys votes 'n stuff on the back. Ok. 1st I'd like to thank our lawyer and friend Owen Epstien who couldn't be with us tonight. Thanks go to Paul McGuinness, our manager, for the loan of yet another suit. Um, our management team in New York and Dublin, Ellen and Anne-Louise, Island records, Atlantic records and the WEA, Frank Barcelona and Premier Talent , Everybody in college radio, I dunno where we'd be without them. I'd like to thank Jack Healy and Amnesty International for all their work, Desmond Tutu for his courage, Martin Luther King, I'd like to thank Bob Dylan for "Tangled Up and Blue", Flannery O'Connor, Jimi Hendrix, Walt Disney, John the Baptist, George Best, Gregory Peck, James T. Kirk, Morris Brat, Dr. Ruth, Batman and Robin, Luck The Dog, Pee Wee Herman, The YMCA, Eddie the Eagle, Sumo Wrestlers throughout the world, and of course, Ronald Regan."

ILuvLarryMullen said:
-When asked what he does when he returns home after a tour: "I have a terrible habit of finding really unimportant, trivial, manual things to do. I'll go mow the lawn, or find some piece of furniture that needs varnishing, or...paint the cat."

-"They [U2's parents] are still waiting for us to get proper jobs. I mean its kinda like 'Well you were lucky this time, but when are you gonna go back to school and become a doctor?'"
:laugh: I can somehow picture Edge painting a cat... :shifty:

"My real name is Johnny Carson, but I just didn't think that would get me on the show."
-- Edge in 1981, to late-night TV host Tom Snyder, when asked why he's called "The Edge?

"We're not a punk band or ska band or whatever. We're just U2."

I stole this one from someone's signature:
"The first thing is to protect the guitar, because you can fix an ankle, you can fix a bruise, but when you break a guitar that's the end of it." (on falling off the stage)

"Yeah, Bono's a nice bunch of guys"

Schmeg said:

:laugh: I can somehow picture Edge painting a cat... :shifty:

"My real name is Johnny Carson, but I just didn't think that would get me on the show."
-- Edge in 1981, to late-night TV host Tom Snyder, when asked why he's called "The Edge?

"Yeah, Bono's a nice bunch of guys"

those 2 and the JT grammy speech are my faves too!

I like these two:

From the interviews after they'd won a Grammy in 1987:
Question: "How does winning a Grammy feel?"
Edge: "Like winning a Grammy."

Asked about the rumours they're making a film (end 1987):
"It's going to be a mix of Star Trek and E.T."

:)

C ya!

Marty

dsmith2904 said:

"At the beginning the idea of wearing sunglasses in an interview seemed kind of stupid. Now we realize that the fact is not whether you're wearing sunglasses that's important, it's what kind of sunglasses you're wearing."

That's the one I wanted to say... And I really LOVED when Edgie made a funny speech at the Grammies 2 years ago :)

I think this is one of my favorites, and it's a recent quote. It's from the Best Of 1990-2000 special from VH1/MTV2 last Fall....

"Rock and roll. Guitars, bass, drums, voice, at high volume (does this with his head) :yes: that's me." I :heart: it!

Last edited:
From the BP Fallon interview...

"It's a real drag if you don't like yourself 'cos you do spend a lot of time with yourself."

"BP: And why do you say it worries you that you're getting attached to your guitars, what's fearful about that?

Edge: It's a new zone mentally, you know. I much prefer the kind of mentality where you just turn up with whatever guitar you find to hand, pick it up and get something out of it. It must mean I'm getting professional or something, which scares me."

"BP: IF YOU WEREN'T IN U2, WHICH BAND WOULD YOU BE IN?

Edge: I'd like to be a lumberjack. "

You know, I could actually see him as a lumberjack. He has the look for it.

dsmith2904 said:
From the BP Fallon interview...

"It's a real drag if you don't like yourself 'cos you do spend a lot of time with yourself."

*Nods*

This is true...

Originally posted by dsmith2904
It must mean I'm getting professional or something, which scares me.

:hug: :edge:

Originally posted by dsmith2904
"Oh, I hate to see cows playing tag. Makes you think the hamburger you're eating may have been playing kiss-and-run the day before."

:lol:!

Angela

Well, I'd have to say that as a musician, his quote: "One good song will do more for your band than two years of gigs" sure seems amazingly true!

But not half as funny as the others...

More from the BP interview:

BP: What's the best thing about you?
EDGE: I don't snore.

"As long as we're not COMPLETE CRAP...I think it's going to be a great night......and I don't think we're going to be crap"

Back
Top Bottom