Best Popmart Show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Looking for opinions as to which show was the best of the entire Popmart tour - I've heard Rotterdam, Santaigo, and Sarajevo mentioned a lot. While Sarajevo could win in terms of how emotional the show was, it can't win performance-wise because Bono's voice was gone.

Anyway, opinions/thoughts?

Sarajevo does win. Bono's voice may be shot, but just listen to Gone! And his wailing over the Please solo is chilling. For a man whose voice was meant to be gone, he still manages to pull out some great stuff.

I really don't think any Popmart show could surpass Sarajevo.

Leeds 8/28/97.

Bono had a good voice that nite, and the show is VERY loose, very rock 'n roll. LNOE has the GIANT rock ending with Edge sorting his solo out. Miami is full on Zep groove. And they play a full band Rain.

After Leeds, I'd say 3/21/98 Johannesburg.

Santiago is good because of how unique "Bad" was arranged. Edge plays some strange new stuff on that version.

Vegas :|

Sarajevo was such a unique and emotional performance by U2. Have to go w/ that as best Popmart show.

Edinburgh was an emotional show as it was just after Diana's death and everyone needed a release after the media frenzy. They played MLK and dedicated it to her.

In terms of performance quality, Sarajevo simply can´t be even in a top 50 Pop Mart concert :sad: bands mistakes (Miss Sarajevo for example), worst Bono´s voice ever, etc, etc :|

I know fans usually put into top 10 Pop Mart concerts, but basically for the significance of the show. By far is the top 1 Pop Mart concert based just in that point...but talking about U2´s performance...

I do agree with most of collectors that point out Santiago 11-02-1998 is the best Pop Mart concert based in many aspects :drool: :drool:

1- Awesome musicalship :shocked:
2- Best setlist of the whole tour
3- Outstanding audience

Other memorable mentions:

- Helsinski 1997
- Rotterdam 1997

Peace :wave:

I don't really know which is the best because I haven't even watched Popmart Mexico City in it's entirety! :reject:

namkcuR said:
Was either Rotterdam show anything special?

Well Bono held my hand and sang to me during WOWY, so that show is definately number one for me .:cute:
But I would LOVE to see Sarajevo on DVD (I really hope we'll get that one next year) I almost cried when the whole crowd sang along to 'Stand by me'. I don't care if Bono's voice was a little off that night, it just adds to the emotion.
Sarajevo was the best I'd have to say.

A lot of you seem to be voting on concerts that are available in soundboard/broadcast quality.

Now this is okay if you judge the concert by what you're hearing/seeing, but to truly judge a concert you must have been there - yes?

I went to the first Dublin show in 1997 and it was one of the best concerts ever!!!

The bootleg of this concert is very poor (sorry Mr taper), but anyone who was there knows just how fantastic the atomsphere was :)

Bono was on great form ad-libbing and having fun, the crowd was brilliant, loud, friendly and going crazy.

I remember getting the train to the gig and as soon as we neared the ground EVERY single fan on that train ran to the left side of the train to get a look at the PopMart stage - fan bloody tastic - nearly toppled the train.

Great memories the next day going down to the wall and writing all over it and talking to fans from all over the world only using the words 'U2' 'Bono' 'Edge' 'Larry' and 'Adam' lol

You HAD to be there!

Back
Top Bottom