Best Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropa16

The Fly
What do you think is the best opening song of a U2 show.

Early shows - 11' Oclock Tick Tock
JT tour - Streets
Zoo TV - Zoo Station
Popmart - Mofo
Elevation - Elevation

I think those cover the "openers".
My vote...

EL - E - VA - TION

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

I saw Zoo TV which was a great opening.

Popmart was good but...

Elevation has to take the cake!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

ELEVATION!!
cool.gif

I can't decide if it's actually the song, or the fact that they came in with the house lights on. That was the feckin' coolest thing ever!

Elevation

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Elevation -- but I can tell Zoo Station must have rocked.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Streets with Elevation close behind...

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Elevation was great, but ZOO STATION works best as an electrifying opener. I think Elevation would fit in other places in the show just as well.

Musically, Elevation wins it for me. The ultimate start-me-up, which is sustained through the entire song.

But if we include production, the Zoo Station opener to the Outside Broadcast tour was truly incredible. I thought after the first few lines, the song became average.

Same for Mofo - the boxer opening was great, but the song didn't do very much for me after the opening sequence.

And let's not forget Out of Control - a fantastic opener during the War tour.

For power--> Streets

For the Image--> Zoo Station

For in your face rock'n'roll--> MOFOOO

... last, but FIRST goes to--> Elevation. It just simply worked soooooo well and created a mood that lasted throughout the whole set.

biggrin.gif

I never saw Zoo TV live except for the Sydney video and I can imagine the craziness as The Fly kicked and dances his way across the video screens as "zoo station" grooved its way through the p.a.

BUT, I did see Popmart live and "Mofo" takes the cake for me. Yes, "elevation" was great and the fans went nuts - but "mofo" has that raw edge fury in it.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Back
Top Bottom