Best Of??? What U2 SHOULD have done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fritz

The Fly
Best Of??? What U2 SHOULD of done

Hello. I don't know if you are like me, but I am VERY dissapointed with the tracklisting of The Best of: 1990-2000. I think U2 could of hanndeled it much better. Here is what they could of done.

1) Have a better track listing. Like the first "best of" only have singles on it, (to have it tie-in with 1980-1990). The new track listing will not have Miss. Sajiavo on it beacuse it is not a U2 song, it is a Passengers song.

2) No NOT include any new tracks, (exept for a redone version of one of thier B-sides). How do we know that 'The Hands That Bulit America" will be a hit? And if the two new tracks are a hit they will for the 2000-2010 years, not 1990-2000.

3) Have some good B-sides. How come only 4/14 tracks are songs that were good b-sides? I like the remixes, but they belong on a seperate remix disc, not the b-sides disc! Who (in the mainstrem) will ever hear Bono's and old blue eyes duet. Or hear the great "Where did it all go wroung"??

4) Release of the new songs. It sounds like U2 wants to realese the new two songs. For Eletrical Storm they should have waited untill the new studio album ( I think it would be worth the wait), or realese it as a single. Not many bands release singles anymore, wouldnt it be cool if U2 did? For Eletrical Storm they could of also realesed it via internet for the fans to spread. It works great for The Smashing Pumpkins, wgo have realesed many albums via the Internet.
Now to The Hands That Bulit America. leave it for The Gangs of New York soundtrack. This will give the Soundtrack some umph, a new U2 song, it would sell many more copies. Think, what if The Ground Beneth Her Geet was on ALYCLB?????

5) New track. U2 should of realesed a new, redone track from one of thier b-sides, (like the Sweetest Thing). They have many great B-Sides they could of used, (ie. Lady With the Spinng Head, Where Did We Go Wroung).

6) The POP remixs. I love the POP tracks as they are. Why are the remixing them for the best of, kinda wierd.

Thats it.

fritz:mac:

And for some of us..The Ground Beneath Her Feet IS on ATYCLB!

I like the look of the Best Of. Made me want to go out and get it more than the ones predicted here over the last couple of months. Hey, maybe that's half the issue..wow I maybe onto something. :sexywink:

Re: Best Of??? What U2 SHOULD of done

Fritz said:
Hello. I don't know if you are like me, but I am VERY dissapointed with the tracklisting of The Best of: 1990-2000. I think U2 could of hanndeled it much better. Here is what they could of done.

6) The POP remixs. I love the POP tracks as they are. Why are the remixing them for the best of, kinda wierd.

fritz:mac:

They are remixing them because the originals don't meet their standards for inclusion in the Best Of. While you may "love" the POP tracks, it is clear U2 don't love them as much as you do. We all have different opinions anyway and U2 is no exception. The difference is that U2's opinion is the one that ends up being written in stone (such as the tracklisting now - nothing we can do about it at this point).

I too am disappointed with the tracklisting but for different reasons. I feel that these new mixes should not have been included because they weren't the ones released in the 1990-2000 period. But the two new tracks I can understand because they need to have new tracks to release as singles and promote the album. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

J

You people are all missing the big picture. First of all Elevation, Walk On will be on the next Best Of.....2000-2010. Think about it, though official they were released in 2000 on ATYCLB, they were not released as singles until 2001...so hence their being left off of this Best Of. Stuck was released as a single in 2000 in Europe.

Second a Best Of in U2 collective mind is not the big hits it's what they feel were the Best Songs they produced in that particular time period. TGBHF was a great song, and merits inclusion, but oh well. The B-Sides are a tad weak, but I have another theory on they way this is being released.....

My best guess (and it is only a guess) is that U2 is gearing up for a huge Box Set come 2005. That year will mark their 25th year as a professional recording group. They will be up for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction, and it just makes sense.

Hence they leave off a lot of B-Sides, on this release, that a lot of people already have, and save them for a Box Set of hit singles, B-Sides, not-so hit singles, and remixes and other rarities.

Let me know what you all think....I have a gut feeling that they are holding certain things back for a Box Set. In a Rolling Stone interview in 1998, before the Best of 1980 - 1990 came out, the Edge said that they considered putting 11 O'Clock Tick Tock on, but pulled it off at the last second. Then he said they wait to include that on the Box Set.

I know we live in a disposable society, that wants it, and wants it now, but I think U2 have a set plan and will stick with it no matter what.

That's just my 2 cents......

Reggie Thee Dog said:
You people are all missing the big picture. First of all Elevation, Walk On will be on the next Best Of.....2000-2010. Think about it, though official they were released in 2000 on ATYCLB, they were not released as singles until 2001...so hence their being left off of this Best Of. Stuck was released as a single in 2000 in Europe.

I would agree with this philosophy if this was just a singles package, but there are several album cuts on the new Best Of as well. ATYCLB was released in 2000. To my mind, that when the songs came out. And if this is so, which it is, those tunes can still be part of a package that is 2000-2010. So the whole 2000 or 2001 thing doesn't really matter. Maybe they should have put TGBHF on the new BO and waited until the next for ATYCLB. Whatever....I'm just happy we're getting new stuff. :yes:

Getting into the 90's, u2 has made a real cut with their typical, yet beautiful, sound and concept of the 80's. That's why they have kept their position between the most important bands of the world. So, for me it's logical that the best of the 90's should have the most representative songs of this, and I don't see in this tracklist such songs. It should be there:
Night and Day
Zoo Station
Lemon
Crashed Car
Mofo
Under this point of view I must say that I'm happy with the presence of UTEOTW, The Fly and Numb

I would take out Beautiful Day, Stuck (great songs but from the 00's), Staring at the Sun and the First Time (good songs, but medium quality songs in a u2 scale).

And then, I think they have made great songs in the last decade not released as singles. If we are talking about a BEST OF, then for me it has to be there:
Acrobat
Dirty Day
Please (released as single I know, but not very noticed)
Wake Up Dead Man
Love is Blindness (the best closer of all albuns in music history. I still have faith that this one will be there as the hidden track)

I would put these last instead of some hits as Mysterious Ways, HMTMKMKM or EBTTRT.

What I see here is that this is not about a BEST OF, but a GREATEST HITS. I have no doubt that with this tracklist they will sell a lot of records and make great money, but I don't see any artistic added value for their career with this record.

I could say much more regarding the B-sides (Paint it black, Fortunate Son, Holy Joe, where are they?) but I'm tired now, so let it be.

Anyway, I can't wait for the dvd.;)

Back
Top Bottom