Best of......my ASS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vox626

The Fly
How the hell are u2 going to put together a best of album and not put "Walk on" on it. I mean the song won a grammy for record of the year. As for all the people who say...."well it WAS released to radio in 2001" ...well i dont give a crap, its on an album that was released in 2000. Not to mention Elevation and whose gonna ride your wild horses. Lastly, who the fu@k thought it was a good idea to put remixes on a best of CD. They sound like they might be cool, thats why you release a b-side cd, you dumb bastards!!!!!! I also would like to know who was so high on crack that when they were flipping thru the 90's u2 catalog that "The first time" is a GREAT HIT. The first time i heard the song it blew and now.....thats right it still blows!!!!! We all have our opinions but Im very upset over Walk on being left out. And while I have your attention, Electrical Storm.........sucks. Good beat but what the hell is up with the lyrics. say what you will but I hope this was not the real tracklisting.

Well, I personally don't agree with your post, but at least you're keeping a positive attitude about it.

I got two new cdsingles in miami , dvd and ...

yeah , i want MIAMI on the best of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN 5 MIXES !!!!!!!

:rant: :rant: :laugh: :laugh:

Hawkmoon1021 said:
I don't agree with the sentiments, but that was funny as hell to read. :laugh:

not as funny as mikal's "at least you're keeping a positive attitiude" line....:D

but I do agree with the walk on thing.....
they closed the fucking show and won a grammy with it for christs sake......
but numb is more important.:rolleyes: :silent:

Re: I got two new cdsingles in miami , dvd and ...

pinkfloyd said:
yeah , i want MIAMI on the best of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN 5 MIXES !!!!!!!

:rant: :rant: :laugh: :laugh:

Miami...My mammy :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good Lord...Tom Jones musta written that song.

Second of all...I love the lyrics to Electrical Storm, it's the rhythm parts that sound a little icky to me. Closest thing the band's had to a love song since All I Want Is You.

PS: My friend Sarah loves the line "You're in my mind, all of the time. I know that's not enough." Singing that one line to her got me a date! Hahah!

Re: Re: I got two new cdsingles in miami , dvd and ...

DaveC said:

Miami...My mammy :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good Lord...Tom Jones musta written that song.

Second of all...I love the lyrics to Electrical Storm, it's the rhythm parts that sound a little icky to me. Closest thing the band's had to a love song since All I Want Is You.

PS: My friend Sarah loves the line "You're in my mind, all of the time. I know that's not enough." Singing that one line to her got me a date! Hahah!

you don't understand ..man....miami....it's the song for Elvis ( The BIG ONE ) ...by Elvis and with Elvis ......It's his song ... wanna cigar ??..........this forum went mad .....eeek.....

:macdevil: :angel: :laugh: :censored: :wave:

I agree with Vox. There are so many missing songs. Who's Gonna Ride, Lemon, Last Night on Earth, Walk On come to mind as the ones most wanted, but missing. However, I think they should have left ATYCLB for the next installment of GH. That would have left open 2 extra spots.

I would like to say, that I'm glad they've added to the package's value. Remixing those Pop tunes and Numb makes it out to be like a new album all together.

The B-Sides is mostly filled with remixes, which I wasn't expecting and kinda comes across as a disappointment. There were more great b-sides missing than there were hits missing from the GH disc.

That being said, I'm definitely going to buy this album.

As I said in the other thread, Elevation and Walk On will be on the next compilation. The band decided to put ATYCLB songs on the new release due to their not being as many big songs on it as the first compilation. Since the next one starts with the year 2000, the band will put the other two Grammy winning singles from ATYCLB on it.

As for Miami......echhh.....

Re: Re: Re: I got two new cdsingles in miami , dvd and ...

pinkfloyd said:

you don't understand ..man....miami....it's the song for Elvis ( The BIG ONE ) ...by Elvis and with Elvis ......It's his song ... wanna cigar ??..........this forum went mad .....eeek.....

:macdevil: :angel: :laugh: :censored: :wave:

I must not understand then...

I despise the song. Worst song they've ever written, IMO...

Lyrics:
Weather 'round here choppin' and changin' (not an enjoyable line...but it's ok)
Surgery in the air (WTF!?)
Print shirts and southern accents (fine)
Cigars and big hair. (fine as well)

We got the wheels, petrol's cheap (first of all if you're in Miami it's called gasoline)
We only went there for a week (it took you a week to write this?)
Got the sun, got the sand (fine, that's Miami)
Got the batteries and the handicam. (and that's my grandma in Miami)

Her eyes all swimming pool blue (ok, sounds pretty hot)
Dumb-bells on the diving board (another ghey line)
Baby's always attracted to
The things she's afraid of. (ok, this is one good line in the song)

Big girl with a sweet tooth watches
Skinny girl in the photo shoot. (and this comes from where...?)
Freshmen, squeaky-clean she tastes of chlorine. (ok, so now Bono is licking fat chicks in Florida)

Miami, my mammy. (The Tom Jones special.)

Love the movies, babe
Love to walk through movie sets
Get to shoot someone in the foot
Get to smoke some cigarettes. (ok, a little disjointed, but otherwise ok)

No big deal, we know the score
Just back from the video store.
Got the car and the car chase.
What's he got inside that case?
I want a close-up of that face.
Here comes the car chase. (ok, so we know he likes car chase movies now...whoopee)

I bought two new suits
Miami
Pink and blue (not entirely surprising, knowing Bono...Macphisto's suit comes to mind)
Miami
I took a picture of you (did he? I hear a restraining order on the way!)
My mammy
Getting hot in a photo booth (he sure likes photos)
Miami.

I said you looked like a madonna. (ok...that's disturbing.)
You said maybe.
You said I wanna have your baby, baby. (and this is even more.)
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
Least not in Miami. (oi. Talk about an odd line...especially an odd repeating line)

You know, some places are like your auntie (this is another one of those WTF?!? lines)
But there's no place like Miami
My mammy
Miami
My mammy.

I'm sorry for doing this. It's 3 AM. I'm tired. I'm hungry. And I loathe this song. I dislike a few U2 songs (Stuck, Numb, et al) but this is the only U2 song I hate. I do not understand how this made it onto any CD, let alone a CD by the greatest band in the world. Thank goodness I have a skip button on my stereo.

If you haven't noticed, vox -

U2 has overlapped their 2 best of's so far. First there was 1980-1990, and now it's 1990-2000. Remember a while ago it was said that there will be 3 best of releases. Therefore the next one will probably be 2000-2010. And I will garauntee that "walk on" and "elevation" will be on that collection. I think it was a great move by U2. Stretch it out so you can fit more songs from the era on it. Brilliant.

- z -

Wasn't Miami an improptu poem/rap inspired by a trip there? If so, I doubt Bono was actually focusing on making a song at the time...I agree, it's probably my least favorite song on POP (which, as a whole, is freaking amazing) but it does add to the "experimental" tones on which the album is produced. It's no classic, but I can listen to it without going off the deep end.

i know, so U2 can appease all their whining fans, they should just make the best of 1990-2000 a box set of all their albums and a bonus disc for all the b-sides and a bonus disc of all the remixes. then no-one would complain. seriously though, people need to understand that u2 doesn't still exist to please them personally. and going off on U2 because you don't like the track selections or the new single is just plain dumb. if you don't like them then don't buy them and save yourself from making inane posts.

personally i am happy for this to be coming out. sure not all my favorite songs are on there, but oh well, if i want to listen to them i'll put on the cd that the song is on. i own all their cds, so any best of disc is really a moot point. especially with groups that don't put any effort into it and just digitally remaster a couple songs and put it out to get some extra cash. U2 on the other hand, writes 2 new songs, remixes 4 songs, and comes out with a limited edition disc of a select number of good b-sides and some of the better remixes available. I applaud U2 for their effort and support them all the way.:up:

Somebody get these people a kleenex...

Together now.... boo-hoo...

See, it's like this as I see it. You probably already own all of this stuff anyway, so why bother purchasing it if you're so upset about it?

Its just an opinion people! Lighten up guys! We all got one after all. All in all, very funny responses to a very funny post dontcha's all think? Glad we all kept our humour over this :D

Prob I guess is, there is nothing they could release that would please every fan.

If I was in charge of things, and this is prolly why I'm not lol, I would put on all the singles from that era. Keeping it strictly to what was released in that time frame. And for the B-Sides, release all the well...B-Sides. Then as a bonus to the already bonus B-Side disc, release a shorter EP style funky remix disc.

But folks'd still complain, which I why I am not in charge of things in the music industry...!

your avatar is still hypnotising me....

True true daisy. There are things I would change. But I'm still going to trot off to the shops and buy it, and listen to it.
Over and over again!

Funny how we buy the same songs over and over again, just because its a bew release eh?

:D

Do you even LIKE U2?

mikal said:
Well, I personally don't agree with your post, but at least you're keeping a positive attitude about it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Walk On" was released in Ireland, the U.K. and Australia in 2001. As such, it does not qualify in the time frame for this "Best Of" collection (1990-2000). That's it and that's all. I'm sure "Walk On" will appear in the next "Best Of" collection.

Personaly I was surpriced by many of the choices for this best of, I don't mind if walk on and elevation are not in it, they will be in the next ( in 10 years :D ) what I like is that they didn't make a boring Best Of... the kind any other artist would have made, I think this album will catch new fans, and also has something for us, U2freaks ;)
About the B-side remixes, I think they still are into dance music, and like trying to reivindicate the Pop era, (that would explain the way they are dressing this days).
For Miami, the lyrics are I think mean to sound like a tourist memory of Miami, some cheesy, some funny, personally I like this tune, and i think it was great when performed live.

Ah, Miami, mah mammy...

I agree with rafmed - the lyrics were meant to sound like a tourist memory. I love "Miami" and always have. It was one of the highlights from Popmart for me, and I never skip over it when listening to Pop. Somebody said it sounds like Tom Jones or Frank Sinatra could sing it... Isn't that funny? I guess you forgot that Bono is one of the biggest Sinatra fans and The Edge even payed homage to Tom Jones at Popmart (karaoke: "it's not unusual"). I think the image and sound is sort of like a lounge singer or a karaoke place with bad lighting. It's a dark song. It's a fun song. It's a Pop song.

- z -

Danospano said:
I agree with Vox. There are so many missing songs. Who's Gonna Ride, Lemon, Last Night on Earth, Walk On come to mind as the ones most wanted, but missing. However, I think they should have left ATYCLB for the next installment of GH. That would have left open 2 extra spots.

I would like to say, that I'm glad they've added to the package's value. Remixing those Pop tunes and Numb makes it out to be like a new album all together.

The B-Sides is mostly filled with remixes, which I wasn't expecting and kinda comes across as a disappointment. There were more great b-sides missing than there were hits missing from the GH disc.

That being said, I'm definitely going to buy this album.

I have to admit I agree with everything Dannospano says here- this doesn't happen very often!

ATYCLB has no business on this best of...

I am almost physically ill this morning reading this.

Why would they do this?

I LOVE IT! The tracklisting is definately not what I would have put on there (the singles + "Zooropa"), but I'm definately pleased with the stuff. I'm really likin' the addition of "The First Time" and "Gone." Not expecting those. The only real disappointment I have with the tracklisting is the omission of "Lemon." I don't care about a few ATYCLB tracks on there, but not have "Lemon"...makes me :censored: :banghead: :rant: :grumpy: :shrug: :hug: :uhoh: :drool: :yawn: ...but I'll manage.

Anyway, so yeah. Overall I like it :D

Back
Top Bottom