Best Non-Album Track Survivor - Final Pool - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE track!

• 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Celebration

• Love Comes Tumbling

• The Three Sunrises

• Luminous Times(Hold On To Love)

• Spanish Eyes

• Sweetest Thing

• Hallelujah(Here She Comes)

• Lady With The Spinning Head

• Salome

• Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

• Holy Joe

• North And South Of The River

• Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

• The Ground Beneath Her Feet

• Stateless

• Electrical Storm

• Mercy

• The Crystal Ballroom

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The results of Round 2:

Advancing:
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - 0
A Celebration - 0
Party Girl - 2
Love Comes Tumbling - 1
The Three Sunrises - 0
Luminous Times(Hold On To Love) - 0
Walk To The Water - 2
Spanish Eyes - 0
Silver And Gold - 1
Sweetest Thing - 1
Hallelujah(Here She Comes) - 0
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel - 3
She's A Mystery To Me - 0
Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova I - 0
Lady With The Spinning Head - 0
Salome - 1
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - 0
Holy Joe - 0
North And South Of The River - 1
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad - 0
The Ground Beneath Her Feet - 0
Stateless - 0
Summer Rain - 0
Electrical Storm - 0
Fast Cars - 1
Mercy - 0
Invisible - 1
The Crystal Ballroom - 1

Eliminated:

#29 - Disappearing Act - 4
#30 - Bass Trap - 5

Levitate - 8 / 9(tiebreaker)

Are You Gonna Wait Forever - 7
Window In The Skies - 7
Where Did It All Go Wrong - 6
Down All The Days - 6
Slow Dancing - 6
Always - 6
Smile - 6
Native Son - 6
Soon - 6
Oh Berlin - 5
I'm Not Your Baby - 4
Blow Your House Down - 3
Heaven And Hell - 1
Near The Island - 0

Endless Deep - 9 / 2(tiebreaker)
Treasure(Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) - 9 / 6(tiebreaker)
Boomerang II - 9 / 2(tiebreaker)

Boomerang I - 8
Deep In The Heart - 8
Another Day - 5
Touch - 4
The Fool - 4
The Dream Is Over - 3
Lost On A Silent Planet - 3
Boy-Girl - 3
Things To Make And Do - 3
Street Mission - 3
Pete The Chop - 2
Cartoon World - 2

Winter - 11 / 9(tiebreaker)

The Hands That Built America - 9
Xanax And Wine - 9
Ordinary Love - 9
Lucifer's Hands - 9
Big Girls Are Best - 7
Love You Like Mad - 7
Flower Child - 6
Return Of The Stingray Guitar - 6
North Star - 3
We Love You - 2
Glastonbury - 1

Viva Davidoff - 8

Wild Irish Rose - 10
Sixty Seconds - 9
Yoshino Blossom - 9
Wave Of Sorrow - 8
Race Against Time - 6
Desert Of Our Love - 5
Womanfish - 5
Rise Up - 4
Drunk Chicken - 2
Beautiful Ghost - 1

Angels Too Tied To The Ground - 7 / 4(tiebreaker)

Saturday Night - 5
J.Swallo - 5
Be There - 5
False Prophet - 4
Speed Of Life - 3
Alone In The Light - 2
Father Is An Elephant - 2
Inside Out - 1
Carry Me Home - 1
Jack In The Box - 0

Disappearing Act has been eliminated.

Instructions: Simple. This is a traditional survivor. You will vote for your LEAST FAVORITE track!

The poll will be open for 24 hours.

Here is a list of tracks in this poll, all linked to YT for your reference.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
A Celebration
Party Girl
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
Spanish Eyes
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing / The Single Mix
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
She's A Mystery To Me(Point Depot) / Snippet of never-released studio version
Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
Lady With The Spinning Head / UV1
Salome / Zooromancer mix
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Holy Joe(Garage Mix) / Guilty Mix
North And South Of The River / Omagh Tribute
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
Summer Rain
Electrical Storm / William Orbit Mix / Early BBC/Radio One Version
Fast Cars
Mercy
Invisible
The Crystal Ballroom / 12" Mix

Also, just a reminder, since it came up in the previous round:

It is important to note that you will be encouraged to consider each song on its merits as a song and not on any particular version or recording of it. This means you can vote for Party Girl or 11 O'Clock Tick Tock based on a live version and not steer away from it because the studio version might be sub-par to you, for example, or that you can vote for Lady With The Spinning Head regardless of which version you prefer, or that you can vote Sweetest Thing regardless of whether you prefer the single version or the original version. That kind of thing.
These survivors are as much about songwriting as they are anything else. So I don't anyone dismissing a song they otherwise like because a particular recording isn't to their liking.

So, in short, you vote based on whatever your favorite version of each track is.

Ehhhh . . . it has a couple nice moments but seems disjointed in songcraft. North And South of the River isn't that great but has better structure. Same with Hallelujah.

I feel like the post-vote discussion is like sports talk radio (here in the US) on a Monday morning after NFL. Lots of arguing but hilarious

Just glad Disappearing Act's finally out. should have gone a long, long time ago. Really surprised love comes tumbling even got a vote this early on??

Fast Cars til it's gone, then the voting gets difficult! :ohmy:

Shame Heartbreak Hotel didn't get ousted as well. Hopefully this time. I'm mystified by the voting for Party Girl and Fast Cars while the likes of Heartbreak Hotel, Sweetest Thing, and Two Shots remain.

Disappearing Act, if finished and released in 1984, would have become a classic. A stadium standard. A radio staple.
Love Comes Tumbling... bleh. ?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Love Comes Tumbling is the best song here.

Can someone definitively explain this to me? For me, the meoldy goes nowhere, the bass if naff, the guitar is forgettable, the whole song is just uninspiring.
I mean we're all U2 fans. U2, the masters of atmosphere, melody, originality.
Love Comes Tumbling feels like an unsigned pub band who are unlikely to go anywhere.
Or is that really just me?

It's just you. :wink: LCT is an enormously popular song on this board and has gone far in similar competitions in the past. Not sure I've encountered anyone on here that doesn't like it.

Why? Its evocative lyrics, potent atmosphere, lovely guitar parts straight out of Edge's finest era, out of this world Bono vocal (lead and layered background vocals), the bass line in the chorus, I could go on. It encapsulates everything I love about TUF era U2.

If there was a pub where Love Comes Tumbling was played every night, I would never leave.

Last edited:
Evocative lyrics I'll give you. Not that there are many lyrics but yeah, I like the lyrics.
The rest of what you say, wow I really don't see it.
Except the pub bit. I'd probably stay at that pub too.

Love Comes Tumbling is the best song here.

What a weird typo, writing "Love Comes Tumbling" when you meant to say "11 O'clock Tick Tock".

But I do agree with all your praise of LCT. What a stunning song, and it's mystifying that it did not make the album.

And I will credit kiwilad on Disappearing Act. I like it instrumentally. But vocally and lyrically it's late-2000s drivel.

can't believe Room at the Heartbreak Hotel is going to go. Absolutely adore this gem. The energy is fantastic in Bono's vocals.

Can't make it to laptop in time. Not that it would make a difference but my vote would be for LCT.... yeah i know. I'm all alone on this.

Kiwilad I've not seen many of your posts but so far I've hated pretty much every single one of your opinions!!! Love Comes Tumbling does, admittedly, have a bit of an unfinished sheen to it, it does meander a bit, so I can sort of maybe see where you're coming from. But it's so gorgeous and how you could put it last out of everything here is mad.

Still, you're not as bad as the two people who have voted for Walk to the Water, I would love them both to explain how they're voting for that song. It nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it. That, and Love Comes Tumbling, are a pretty perfect example of everything that modern-day U2 lacks.

As for me, have any of you listened to Invisible lately?! It is FUCKING HORRIBLE. Seriously, it's incredibly bad. That slide guitar or whatever the fuck it is is embarrassing and the lyrics are shithouse. It's so on the nose. Jesus christ.

Kiwilad I've not seen many of your posts but so far I've hated pretty much every single one of your opinions!!! Love Comes Tumbling does, admittedly, have a bit of an unfinished sheen to it, it does meander a bit, so I can sort of maybe see where you're coming from. But it's so gorgeous and how you could put it last out of everything here is mad.

Still, you're not as bad as the two people who have voted for Walk to the Water, I would love them both to explain how they're voting for that song. It nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it. That, and Love Comes Tumbling, are a pretty perfect example of everything that modern-day U2 lacks.

As for me, have any of you listened to Invisible lately?! It is FUCKING HORRIBLE. Seriously, it's incredibly bad. That slide guitar or whatever the fuck it is is embarrassing and the lyrics are shithouse. It's so on the nose. Jesus christ.

Well, now you're going overboard. Invisible is not bad at all. Obviously not close to peak U2 tracks, but it's still good imo. At least it sounds like a genuine song, which, as the first track of an era, was refreshing after the Frankenstein's monster that is Boots opened the last era. Don't get me wrong, I'd take most of the other tracks here over it, but I don't dislike it at all. Except for the 'there is no them, only us' thing. I don't love that.

Anyway, I've voted for Summer Rain. It's really hard for me to vote against any of these tracks, but ultimately, Summer Rain, for as pretty as it is, just seems a little less substantial than the rest.

Nope, I'm not. I heard it for the first time in ages today and it is aggressively, offensively, ear-piercingly bad. Were it not U2 I would proclaim it as bad as one of the decade's worst songs. Get on Your Boots sucks but at least it has the slightest bit of grit to it. Invisible is as bad as the pap on Coldplay's latest.

Nope, I'm not. I heard it for the first time in ages today and it is aggressively, offensively, ear-piercingly bad. Were it not U2 I would proclaim it as bad as one of the decade's worst songs. Get on Your Boots sucks but at least it has the slightest bit of grit to it. Invisible is as bad as the pap on Coldplay's latest.

Well, it made it this far, so I'd say you're in the minority there.

Cobl, nice to meet you!
Look, LCT i first heard when i was about 10, and was desperately hoping for another soaring song like Unforgettable Fire. It wasn't that and I've never forgiven it.
But it's ok. To be honest voting from here on in is pretty tough!
I do pretty much agree with you re Invisible though. Maybe there's hope for us yet... ?

As for my vote for Walk to the Water, I find it to be a rambling, grating, pretentious, meandering, boring, unfinished song. That's great that you love it, I don't connect with it on any level.

I love LOVE Invisible. One of my favorites of their more recent work.

Apparently we have opposite tastes in music. That's pretty ok.

I do, however, enjoy Love Comes Tumbling. Lovely song.

Back
Top Bottom