Best Non-Album Track Survivor - 1984-1989 Preliminary Quarterfinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your TOP 15 FAVORITE tracks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Technically it's an original song. It's based on this Yeats poem which was also turned into a folk song called Salley Gardens. But there's plenty of original lyrics (and music) in the song.

Down By the Salley Gardens
By William Butler Yeats

Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet
She passed the salley gardens with little snow-white feet
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree
But I, being young and foolish, with her would not agree

In a field by the river my love and I did stand
And on my leaning shoulder she laid her snow-white hand
She bid me take life easy as the grass grows on the weirs
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears

Thanks for the clarification. Seems like it definitely qualifies, especially since TGBHF qualifies, seeing as that song is Rushdie's lyric wholesale put to U2's own music.

I wonder if the highly positive critical response to Simple Minds' Belfast Child scuppered any chance of Wild Irish Rose being heard.
I've read reviews of Street Fighting, the '89 Simple Minds album, which basically said it was Simple Minds trying to be U2 but doing it far better than the artistically famished Rattle and Hum. That must have hurt.
And Belfast Child is an original lyric sung to a traditional Celtic melody I think.
I just wonder if the chance of being slandered for trying to copy Simple Minds was too much.
Or perhaps I'm joining dots that I shouldn't.
Regardless, really sad they never gave Wild Irish Rose some serious studio time and subsequent publicity.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I wonder if the highly positive critical response to Simple Minds' Belfast Child scuppered any chance of Wild Irish Rose being heard.
I've read reviews of Street Fighting, the '89 Simple Minds album, which basically said it was Simple Minds trying to be U2 but doing it far better than the artistically famished Rattle and Hum. That must have hurt.
And Belfast Child is an original lyric sung to a traditional Celtic melody I think.
I just wonder if the chance of being slandered for trying to copy Simple Minds was too much.
Or perhaps I'm joining dots that I shouldn't.
Regardless, really sad they never gave Wild Irish Rose some serious studio time and subsequent publicity.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Yeah, this is a bit of a stretch. The tradition of using melodies and applying original lyrics is very rich in hymnal and traditional music. Cultures such as the Irish and Scottish probably have certain melodies that have been used over a dozen times. Both bands seemed to have enjoy paying homage to their respective cultures while still being very careful of being labeled an Irish band, or Scottish band.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom