Best Non-Album Track Survivor - 1979-1989 Preliminary Semifinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your TOP 15 FAVORITE tracks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The results of the 2000-Present Preliminary Quarterfinal:

Advancing:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet - 21
Stateless - 21
Electrical Storm - 21
The Crystal Ballroom - 20
Mercy - 18
Invisible - 18
Levitate - 15
Summer Rain - 14
Are You Gonna Wait Forever - 13
Window In The Skies - 13

Currently in a tiebreaker:

Always - 11
Fast Cars - 11
Smile - 11
Native Son - 11
Winter - 11
Soon - 11

Joining:

Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova I - 0
Lady With The Spinning Head - 0
Salome - 0
Where Did It All Go Wrong - 0
Oh Berlin - 0
Heaven And Hell - 0
Down All The Days - 0
Slow Dancing - 0
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - 0
Holy Joe - 0
North And South Of The River - 0
I'm Not Your Baby - 0
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad - 0
Blow Your House Down - 1
Near The Island - 1

Love Comes Tumbling - 22
Luminous Times - 21
Spanish Eyes - 19
The Three Sunrises - 19
Bass Trap - 19
Walk To The Water - 19
Sweetest Thing - 18
Deep In The Heart - 17
Silver And Gold - 17
She's A Mystery To Me - 16
Boomerang I - 15
Boomerang II - 15
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel - 14
Disappearing Act - 13
Hallelujah(Here She Comes) - 11

11 O'Clock Tick Tock - 15
Pete The Chop - 13
A Celebration - 13
Party Girl - 13
Endless Deep - 12
Treasure - 12
Street Mission - 11
Touch - 10
Lost On A Silent Planet - 9
Boy-Girl - 9
The Fool - 9
Another Day - 9
Things To Make And Do - 8
Cartoon World - 8
The Dream Is Over - 7 / 10(tiebreaker)

Eliminated:

The Hands That Built America - 9
Xanax And Wine - 9
Ordinary Love - 9
Lucifer's Hands - 9
Big Girls Are Best - 7
Love You Like Mad - 7
Flower Child - 6
Return Of The Stingray Guitar - 6
North Star - 3
We Love You - 2
Glastonbury - 1

Viva Davidoff - 8

Wild Irish Rose - 10
Sixty Seconds - 9
Yoshino Blossom - 9
Wave Of Sorrow - 8
Race Against Time - 6
Desert Of Our Love - 5
Womanfish - 5
Rise Up - 4
Drunk Chicken - 2
Beautiful Ghost - 1

Angels Too Tied To The Ground - 7 / 4(tiebreaker)

Saturday Night - 5
J.Swallo - 5
Be There - 5
False Prophet - 4
Speed Of Life - 3
Alone In The Light - 2
Father Is An Elephant - 2
Inside Out - 1
Carry Me Home - 1
Jack In The Box - 0

A very competitive 2000-Present Quarterfinal has concluded, with a tiebreaker underway to determine what the last cut will be between Always, Fast Cars, Smile, Native Son, Winter, and Soon. This turned out to be the most competitive round of voting yet, with every single song receiving at least one vote, and six tracks engaged in a tie for the last five spots.

At this point, we have completed the Preliminary Quarterfinals, having pared the initial 94-song field down to 60(pending the results of the 2000-Present tiebreaker), and will move into the Preliminary Semifinals.

This is the 1979-1989 Preliminary Semifinal, meaning the 15 tracks that advanced from the 1979-1983 Preliminary Quarterfinal and the 15 tracks that advanced from the 1984-1989 Preliminary Quarterfinal will compete in the same 30-song poll together. With the most easily dismissible tracks eliminated already, it gets harder now, and you will all have to make some very difficult cuts.

Instructions: In this poll, 30 non-album tracks from 1979-1989 will be available to vote for, with voting for multiple items enabled. You will vote for your TOP 15 FAVORITE tracks.

It is essential to the integrity of the competition that you vote for EXACTLY 15 tracks, not any more or any less. There is no way to lock you into a certain number of votes, so it is up to you to monitor yourselves.

Because 15 tracks is a lot to decide on, this poll will be open for 48 hours to give everyone a chance to vote.

Here is a list of tracks in this poll, all linked to YT for your reference.

1979-1989
The Dream Is Over
Lost On A Silent Planet
Pete The Chop
Boy-Girl
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Another Day
Things To Make And Do
Cartoon World
Street Mission
The Fool
A Celebration
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Treasure(Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop)
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Disappearing Act
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing / The Single Mix
She's A Mystery To Me(Point Depot) / Snippet of never-released studio version
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel

OK, now it's getting hard. The following twelve are fucking incredible songs:

The Dream Is Over
Lost on a Silent Planet
11 O'clock Tick Tock
A Celebration
Treasure
Boomerang II
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Luminous Times
Spanish Eyes
She's a Mystery to Me

Then there are a whole bunch of songs that are very enjoyable, if not quite as good as the above twelve, and it was hard to narrow them down. I've gone with The Fool, Boomerang I, and Deep in the Heart.

My homework is to (re)listen to these older tracks.

I voted early this time.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
A Celebration
Party Girl
Endless Deep
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Luminous Times(Hold On To Love)
Walk To The Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing
She's A Mystery To Me

One of the reasons I felt ok dropping the weighting system I had originally planned was that I thought these semifinals would produce what we could call "natural weighting", in that two eras are represented in both, and if one of those eras is preferred, then more songs from that era will advance. I think that will happen here, and it's certainly happened for me, in that 2/3 of my picks come from 84-89, while only five tracks come from 79-83. 84-89 is just the much stronger overall era for non-album material.

All of JT material goes.

Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, and Bass Trap are all classic from the UF era.

She's A Mystery To Me is a gem.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock is legendary.

Party Girl is a live favorite to this day.

A Celebration is bursting with energy.

Treasure is a great earlier track that's already receiving less votes than it deserves.

Endless Deep is a great, brooding instrumental that hints at the more atmospheric direction the band was about to take with UF.

I'd love to advance Hallelujah(Here She Comes) and Boomerang II as well, maybe even A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, but only 15 can advance, and these are the 15 it has to be for me. A Celebration is about the only one I'd consider dropping and I can't bring myself to do it.

Starting to get tough.

The Dream is Over
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
A Celebration
Party Girl
Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop)
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Disappearing Act
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Sweetest Thing

Very easily. The former are good songs. Boy-Girl and Street Mission are barely formulated, amateur pieces of songs. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, Heartbreak Hotel shouldn't have made it this far.

But Hallelujah Here She Comes isn't bad. I haven't voted for it but that's just because U2's output in the eighties was so consistently good.

Yeah, Heartbreak Hotel shouldn't have made it this far.

But Hallelujah Here She Comes isn't bad. I haven't voted for it but that's just because U2's output in the eighties was so consistently good.

Heartbreak is a great tune; R&H bsides along with Luminous Times is a direction I would have liked to see them develop and explore more thoroughly.

You want more U2 songs with terrible backing vocals?

Cool.

Ax, you're the guy who considers Treasure, a song with a meandering, glorified warm up vocal, a "classic" and if I remember correctly has it in his all time U2 top 10(?)

I thought you of all people would realise there are no right or wrong opinions when it comes to U2 songs?

Ax, you're the guy who considers Treasure, a song with a meandering, glorified warm up vocal, a "classic" and if I remember correctly has it in his all time U2 top 10(?)

I thought you of all people would realise there are no right or wrong opinions when it comes to U2 songs?

If you find the passionate stream-of-consciousness ending of Treasure a "meandering, glorified warm up vocal", there's no hope for you!

It's been a real eye opener, this survivor. I can't believe how popular some songs are which i consider very average. Love comes tumbling is one of those. Yet some I consider classics, like disappearing act, garner way less votes than others.
We all are here as mega U2 fans yet what makes U2 great is different for all of us.
Thankfully their song list is enormous!

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

If you find the passionate stream-of-consciousness ending of Treasure a "meandering, glorified warm up vocal", there's no hope for you!

I love Treasure and Room at The Heartbreak Hotel though Heartbreak did take quite a few listens to get into :)

Does your understanding have ears? ;)

I kid, I kid

Yeah i think i do... Street Mission is my favourite pre boy song by far... masterpiece for me considering Bono s ability at the time and recording conditions.

Hallelujah and Heartbreak are pure crap for me, sorry. Typically the U2 sound I dislike.

Luminous times is however the best b sides they ever recorded

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
A Celebration
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel*
Bass Trap
Disappearing Act
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Love Comes Tumbling
Luminous Times(Hold On To Love)
Party Girl
She's A Mystery To Me
Spanish Eyes
The Three Sunrises
Walk To The Water

*I know I forgot to include it last time

Just over 3 hours left to vote!

To give a clear picture of where we stand, Disappearing Act and Hallelujah(Here She Comes) are tied for the final two spots with 9 votes apiece. There are five tracks just below it with 8 votes apiece - Endless Deep, Treasure, Boomerang I, Boomerang II, and Deep In The Heart.

Simply put, if one were to vote for any of those five while not voting for Disappearing Act or Hallelujah, it could trigger a tiebreaker(pending other votes of course) and give a track another chance to advance...

Back
Top Bottom