Best live version of Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knox

Refugee
I have no idea what it is. This song is just so incredible sometimes...

So what do you think is THE BEST version out there?

Any of the four Dublin '89 versions are great (perhaps Dec 26th being the best) with hounorable mention going to Popmart Tel Aviv - very cool synth loop on that one.

Ugh. Too many choices.

My current favorite is from the Slane DVD -- with the All I Want Is You segue. Sends chills down my spine.

I also like the one from the Please EP with the Please intro.

Well what are we talking about when we say best?

If the best musically, than Popmart Streets with no doubts. Just listen to Edge playing it at soundchecks, he sticks a new Em chord before going back to A and into the chorus, and it's just amazing. The guitar tone, the added outro, everything about Popmart Streets musically is near perfection.

That said, as the whole package, the Dublin 89 performances are hard to top.

1. 26 December 1989, Dublin (with the awesome snippet of William Wordsworth's Resolution And Independence in the intro that you can see in my signature)
2. 30 December 1989, Dublin (the Kerouac intro, and though he did this a few times, this is the best example)
3. 18 December 1989, Amsterdam (In God's Country intro)

Lovetown Streets ... :drool:

Thats extremely generous:wink:

Class little sample, it is what I would call pure:drool:

Last edited:
Neenie said:

This sounds fucking amazing! Where did get it from? Is there more?

Thanks
I just found it in my folder of "random unsorted U2 live snippets" last week, I downloaded it a while ago, a few snippets of Popmart soundchecks. I will post the rest in a few minutes, 3 mp3s, around 9 different song parts.:wink:

Canadiens1160 said:
I just found it in my folder of "random unsorted U2 live snippets" last week, I downloaded it a while ago, a few snippets of Popmart soundchecks. I will post the rest in a few minutes, 3 mp3s, around 9 different song parts.:wink:

Cool. I've heard most live popmart streets, but not any soundchecks.

Looking foreword to more :drool:

SeattleVertigo said:
Ugh. Too many choices.

My current favorite is from the Slane DVD -- with the All I Want Is You segue. Sends chills down my spine.

I also like the one from the Please EP with the Please intro.

Please check out the version from toronto 5/25/2001 - same type thing as slane, but done plain better.

i love the lovetown versions, but the keys are way too loud and edge is way too soft. i've been loving how edge sounds at recent shows (check out 4/2/05 - san jose 2 for example).

you gotta love the joshua tree shows, too - the ferocity of the band attacking this song, so urgent. good stuff.

I love love love love love the Bad/40/Where The Streets Have No Name medley from Boston.

1. 26.12.89 - Just perfect, amazing vocals and a lot of energy from the band. :bow:

2. Popmart Sarajevo - A great version and made even more powerful because of Bono's struggle with his voice. He really tries to deliever and he does. :up:

3. Rattle And Hum DVD - Awesome performance! :drool:

Last edited:
Dublin December 26th 1989
Sao Paulo January 31st 1998

I've changed my mind listening to a few PopMart boots.

That slight technoey feel plus the tag at the end put it over the top for me. That alteration could've been so tacky and overdone - but instead was done perfectly.

PopMart Streets rule.

Back
Top Bottom