Best live version of AIWIY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
What do you think? I don't think I've seen this particular song discussed in this context before..

Actually I thought it was played great on this tour!

The version from Chicago 10-16-80 is incredible, especially how it leads into WTSHNN!

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
Chicago 10-16-80

a very early version of aiwiy, at a show attended by zoo schabow only.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

The version from Chicago 10-16-80 is incredible, especially how it leads into WTSHNN!

10/16/80 would be an incredible version, if only because it would demonstrate a remarkable clairvoyance on U2's part. LOL. I was at 10/16/01, however, and it was really cool. So was 5/16/01.

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"True to form, Edge's promise of 'just the one' turns out to mean just the one bottle of vodka." - Q Mag interview

"don't let go, you've got the music in you..."

I'm looking for versions of which there are excellent live versions as well..

Originally posted by kobayashi:
a very early version of aiwiy, at a show attended by zoo schabow only.

Oh shut the fuck up! HAHA

That's my birthdate. I've been filling out tax forms for my new job today. Give me a break! LOL

Anyway, 10-16-80 was a good version. Very raw! Almost as good as 10-16-01!

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

Oh shut the fuck up! HAHA

hahahaha.
i knew that response was comin'.
if i used smileys there would be one on this message.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

Lovetown is the way to go Skeek...especially the Australian portion of the tour..

I've heard it live in Brisbane on the LoveTown tour and at Boston 3 this year!
Boston 3 is now my favorite live AIWIY.
smile.gif

I dunno if you've seen it, but the version they did on the Late Late Show(Irish talk show), the Omagh Tribute special, just a while after the bombing, don't think I've seen a better one

Originally posted by lazyboy:
I dunno if you've seen it, but the version they did on the Late Late Show(Irish talk show), the Omagh Tribute special, just a while after the bombing, don't think I've seen a better one

agreed

I think that during the PopMart tour they did some of All I Want Is You, then Bono breaks into "Never Tear Us Apart" which sounded really powerful.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I would have to agree with Acrob@t. The Aussie portion of the Lovetown tour yielded some of the best versions of this song IMO. In fact the Aussie tour versions on the Lovetown tour of all the Rattle And Hum tracks seemed to have been better at the beginning of the tour. Typically for U2 the reverse is the norm. The songs get better as the tour goes along.

Check out the 11-18-89 Sydney show. This is the show with the bomb scare before hand. It is one of the few bootlegs where you can actually feel the power of the performance just by listening to it. This is also the show where they filmed the Lovetown documentary so those of you with Direct TV (thats me!
smile.gif
) will get treated to video of some of the Lovetown songs. AIWIY is on there but the cut it right at the climax to interview some street people (go figure).

I would say the 12/26/89 (X-Mas at the point) version is my favorite. Bono's voice is stunning that night, not to mention the soundboard quality of the recording. One Tree Hill from that one is also worth checking out.

There's one from San Remo Italy 2000 (what U2 was doing there in 2000, I dunno). I kinda like it. There's a nice little italian speech beforehand, later moving into an acoustic version of AIWIY.

And another really good version is from the Omagh tribute. Gives me chills.

Another vote for the Irving Plaza version here, I love it, even though Bono messed up the lyrics a bit...Edge?s guitar is marvellous.

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

There is a commercial release of All I Want... (live) in France. It is one of the B-sides to the limited Stuck single (French exclusive single). Has anyone heard this version? It is from that Paris gig when they were warming up for the Elevation Tour. This is the most expensive cd-single on ebay from the current album. It has been selling for as much as $50 US.

------------------
The idiot who put the DVD on his Christmas wish list. What was I thinking!?! That is a WHOLE month away!

I'd completely forgotten about the Omagh tribute version! Good choice.. I'll have to check out some of the Australian shows...

Back
Top Bottom