Best guitar to learn U2 songs on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Searcher

The Fly
I went to a few pawn shops earlier today with my girlfriend and looked around for a Gibson Explorer and the Gibson Gold Top...

I wanted to learn a few U2 songs like Out Of Control, I Will Follow, All I Want Is You, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, etc...

What guitar, is easy to learn with?

Strat
Gold Top
Explorer?

The explorer looks wicked...

I think they will move this to 3 chords and truth , and mate seriously

The answer to this is ..... What's the best lady to learn to do some ..... tasty things

Blondes , Brunnetes , Reddies .... :drool:

I mean , it's not the guitar that makes ur learning .... I mean they are all pice of woods , with arms of 23 frets right ?

if you've never played U2 do NOT start electric...pick up a good acoustic and learn them there first...THEN translate to electric...your gonna waste your money on something you can't play

europop2005 said:
if you've never played U2 do NOT start electric...pick up a good acoustic and learn them there first...THEN translate to electric...your gonna waste your money on something you can't play

I wouldn't agree with that. Then again, I don't like playing acoustic guitars full stop.

If youre just learning guitar (which I presume you are)

To want either Gibson les Paul Gold Top, Explorer or Strat

you either

a) Have too much money
b) Living in fantasy land

I have been playing guitar off and on 25 years, and I still only dream of getting my hands on "real guitars" like the ones you mentioned.

The guitar you learn on doesn't matter at all. The only thing that matters is it stays in tune all the way up the neck.

Believe me the Gibson Les paul Gold Top will sound no better than a cheap copy in the hands of a novice.

My Advise.

Get something cheaper, Epiphone & Squire do some great copies of the ones you mentioned.

Save the money untill you can do those instruments justice.

Generally speaking I think Strat types are easier to play than Les Paul type guitars, but thats just my opinion.

I wouldnt say dont attempt any U2 songs if you are a learner.

Songs off Rattle and Hum are quite easy and have few effects so they are a good starting point!

europop2005 said:

the first thing I played on guitar (electric - I "went acoustic" a little later) was I Will Follow followed by loads more U2 songs, I taught myself guitar and play everything by ear and U2 were the reason I wanted to play guitar anyway.

I don't understand what's so bad about starting on electric to be honest. Just get a decent cheap multi-effects pedal and you should be good to go but the guitar really doesn't matter if you're just starting out. :)

even Edges first guitar was a cheap acoustic, I bought one for $300 (Fender) got a teacher, learned chords and scales then went out and bought a Les Paul...it was easier to make the transition to me.

Get the Fender Starcaster. Not the original one, but the new version you can get at Best Buy for like $180 complete with amp. It's a nice guitar and all you really need to start learning. Then get a good pedal and you're all set.

If you're gonna spring for a Strat, don't buy the Squier Strat, it's a piece of shit - especially the Affinity Strats. Unless you can find one from Japan at a real guitar shop (IE not Guitar Center), get a Yahama acoustic and just learn to play and see if you like guitar.

gareth brown said:

I don't understand what's so bad about starting on electric to be honest. Just get a decent cheap multi-effects pedal and you should be good to go but the guitar really doesn't matter if you're just starting out. :)

About $$

And Beginners may find the arm of electric being shorter than acoustics , the fact the strings are closer and all

Back
Top Bottom